• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

Saw an interview with Brett Goldstein (Roy Kent). He's a massive Spurs fan!
His dad, Howard, is on the Steve Perryman podcast, (which is very good btw, not sure if I should be recommending other Spurs pods) and used to talk about his son Brett and his efforts at comedy and writing

Then bang he struck it big with Ted Lasso. He is a writer on the show, and when writing the part of Roy Kent, he read the lines to them (director) saying this is how I want the character to be, this is the essence and feeling I want to come thru. They were so impressed they said 'you play the part, it's perfect' ...and the rest.....

Howard is funny as he talks about going off to sw.anky award ceremonies now :)

Last edited:
Finally got round to watching Ghostbusters Afterlife, while it isn't an instant classic (thou debatable), it is extremely entertaining and well worth the watch. I have to say, the way they involved and showed appreciation for Harold Ramis was very touching and well done.

Thanks. Forgot about it. Will watch now.

If anyone can remind me to watch nobody on sunday, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Finally got round to watching Ghostbusters Afterlife, while it isn't an instant classic (thou debatable), it is extremely entertaining and well worth the watch. I have to say, the way they involved and showed appreciation for Harold Ramis was very touching and well done.

Just watched it. Loved it.

That's how you do a legacy film. Let the new characters shine but respect the old. Ok maybe a little less nostalgia. But do not destroy the old to show the new is better.

I watched an early screening of ‘Belfast’ tonight. Excellent film, so well directed and excellent performances from the cast. There are also moments of cinematography that were simple but effective. Definitely worth a watch when it’s released in few weeks time.

Didn't even think it was woke (as in it was trying to push a message). Couple of gay guys, who cares? It's just the film felt 6000 years with nothing happening. Just boring.

Well a few of the characters are now either gay or have a disability. I’m all for inclusion but diversity for diversity’s sake is pointless and a bit insulting really. I don’t care if no white actors are in the Black Panther sequel and no one should bat an eyelid if they see an all white cast in any film or tv show either. They should do all they can to create new characters for females, minorities, LGBT people etc rather than rewriting or recasting roles and changing their gender, sexual orientation but that would probably require too much effort.

As the for film, it’s boring as you said but it’s directed by a woman in 2021 so we’re not allowed to NOT like it :D

McKenna Grace is going to be a star. She was brilliant

His dad, Howard, is on the Steve Perryman podcast, (which is very good btw, not sure if I should be recommending other Spurs pods) and used to talk about his son Brett and his efforts at comedy and writing

Then bang he struck it big with Ted Lasso. He is a writer on the show, and when writing the part of Roy Kent, he read the lines to them (director) saying this is how I want the character to be, this is the essence and feeling I want to come thru. They were so impressed they said 'you play the part, it's perfect' ...and the rest.....

The clips when he is on Sky Sports with Kamara and Stelling is Comedy Gold and tells it how it is. I would pay watch that every week if it was for real

Brett also does a good films podcast… films for when you die

Ted lasso is a work of art
So we’ll made, cast and the pace is brilliant

Well a few of the characters are now either gay or have a disability. I’m all for inclusion but diversity for diversity’s sake is pointless and a bit insulting really. I don’t care if no white actors are in the Black Panther sequel and no one should bat an eyelid if they see an all white cast in any film or tv show either. They should do all they can to create new characters for females, minorities, LGBT people etc rather than rewriting or recasting roles and changing their gender, sexual orientation but that would probably require too much effort.

As the for film, it’s boring as you said but it’s directed by a woman in 2021 so we’re not allowed to NOT like it :D

How do you decide what “diversity for diversity’s sake” is? Am I right in understanding that you found it insulting and pointless that there were gay and / or disabled characters in the film? I haven’t read the comics so I don’t know if you’re suggesting the source material has been drastically changed.

It could almost do with a thread of its own as I find it an interesting subject, I’ve seen you mention “woke-ness” a fair bit, part of me enjoys the irony of the term becoming divisive one but it’s kind of unfortunate at the same time...

How do you decide what “diversity for diversity’s sake” is? Am I right in understanding that you found it insulting and pointless that there were gay and / or disabled characters in the film? I haven’t read the comics so I don’t know if you’re suggesting the source material has been drastically changed.

It could almost do with a thread of its own as I find it an interesting subject, I’ve seen you mention “woke-ness” a fair bit, part of me enjoys the irony of the term becoming divisive one but it’s kind of unfortunate at the same time...

No, i find it patronising when they add a token white actor to black Panther for example. When I watch a film or tv show I don’t care if there are no white people in it and people shouldn’t bat an eyelid if there’s an all white cast on taskmaster or would I lie to you. Fresh Prince was one of my favourite tv shows growing up. I even watched it from start to finish again recently. Doesn’t bother me that it’s an all black cast with no white people. I want great stories above all else.

I just feel wokeism started out as a good idea ie be awakened to struggles of minorities, disabled people, LGBT etc but it’s done more to hurt liberalism recently than help. Going back and applying todays norms and conventions to behaviour from 50-100 years ago doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me. I’m an old school liberal.

No, i find it patronising when they add a token white actor to black Panther for example. When I watch a film or tv show I don’t care if there are no white people in it and people shouldn’t bat an eyelid if there’s an all white cast on taskmaster or would I lie to you. Fresh Prince was one of my favourite tv shows growing up. I even watched it from start to finish again recently. Doesn’t bother me that it’s an all black cast with no white people. I want great stories above all else.

I just feel wokeism started out as a good idea ie be awakened to struggles of minorities, disabled people, LGBT etc but it’s done more to hurt liberalism recently than help. Going back and applying todays norms and conventions to behaviour from 50-100 years ago doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me. I’m an old school liberal.

I think something being described as woke just because it’s got non straight or disabled people is a worrying trend myself.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood but it seems you’re simultaneously declaring how unbothered you are by the ethnicity of a cast whilst also mentioning examples of cases when race seems like it has become an issue for you? By that I mean like when you mentioned a token white actor in Black Panther 2, i’ve not read the comics so I’m not sure of what the controversy is there.

RE your last paragraph, i get you however I wonder if the 50 / 100 years is more to do with cancel culture but it’s linked to a degree. We agree on it starting out as something different though for sure.

Back