• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

If you have not seen Steve McQueen's Small Axe series of films, I heartily recommend them. He is a simply brilliant filmmaker, his frame, shot-speed, coolers, everything is just wonderful...and what a writer!

If you have not seen Steve McQueen's Small Axe series of films, I heartily recommend them. He is a simply brilliant filmmaker, his frame, shot-speed, coolers, everything is just wonderful...and what a writer!
Really liked mangrove
The rest were not great IMO
Shame got me ex the concept and quality was there but the stories were short

Really liked mangrove
The rest were not great IMO
Shame got me ex the concept and quality was there but the stories were short

Interesting.
We agree to disagree.
The police one was heavy. I remember being at Upton Park in '81 right around NYE/NYD, we were getting beaten (Cottee debut) and a policeman on the division between us and them called Crooksie a "yid c**n" and it went mental.
The police -especially the SPG back then- were total tossers.
The education one broke my heart.
The young writer in jail? A real story, again, it really got me.
The stories intentionally ended short (i.e. the police one) because it is still an ongoing story. IMO anyway...

Interesting.
We agree to disagree.
The police one was heavy. I remember being at Upton Park in '81 right around NYE/NYD, we were getting beaten (Cottee debut) and a policeman on the division between us and them called Crooksie a "yid c**n" and it went mental.
The police -especially the SPG back then- were total tossers.
The education one broke my heart.
The young writer in jail? A real story, again, it really got me.
The stories intentionally ended short (i.e. the police one) because it is still an ongoing story. IMO anyway...
Yeah that’s his style and they were physically shorter episodes
I thought with the talent he had available there could have been more of a message with more of a natural conclusion, but I get the point about them being ongoing.
The police element is before my time and was the second best one behind Mangrove. Mangrove was great and so well acted too.
The rave/love/house party episode was odd to me. It didn’t really go anywhere other than show people how the community partied. I did notice the bottled drink thing which is something I’ve noticed even now in West Indian culture. No pints, just bottles
The education one was very interesting to see but wasn’t something new for me so I guess I wasn’t taken back by it (I didn’t know the mangrove story).
the writer one was naff. Didn’t get it on any level and think there may have been other things to pick up on myself

Yeah that’s his style and they were physically shorter episodes
I thought with the talent he had available there could have been more of a message with more of a natural conclusion, but I get the point about them being ongoing.
The police element is before my time and was the second best one behind Mangrove. Mangrove was great and so well acted too.
The rave/love/house party episode was odd to me. It didn’t really go anywhere other than show people how the community partied. I did notice the bottled drink thing which is something I’ve noticed even now in West Indian culture. No pints, just bottles
The education one was very interesting to see but wasn’t something new for me so I guess I wasn’t taken back by it (I didn’t know the mangrove story).
the writer one was naff. Didn’t get it on any level and think there may have been other things to pick up on myself

That writer is real, as is his story. I found the education one fascinating as I genuinely did not know about these "special school" and the treatment of black kids being shoe-horned into them for things such as dyslexia.

I remember several of those eras, and marched for the ANL post Brixton riots and CND. What I loved is that I got a proper black perspective on those times. I really felt I was getting a view and perspective it is impossible to have had at the time. My father was Iranian and the subject of racial abuse as I've said here before, but McQueen showed black oppression from a place other than read or seen. He made you feel it. Some of those long shots were just punishing. What an artist!

p.s this fudging emoji at the end? I have no clue why it is there!!!!

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-5_2-25-59.png
    upload_2021-1-5_2-25-59.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 2
That writer is real, as is his story. I found the education one fascinating as I genuinely did not know about these "special school" and the treatment of black kids being shoe-horned into them for things such as dyslexia.

I remember several of those eras, and marched for the ANL post Brixton riots and CND. What I loved is that I got a proper black perspective on those times. I really felt I was getting a view and perspective it is impossible to have had at the time. My father was Iranian and the subject of racial abuse as I've said here before, but McQueen showed black oppression from a place other than read or seen. He made you feel it. Some of those long shots were just punishing. What an artist!

p.s this fudging emoji at the end? I have no clue why it is there!!!!
How old are you?
You reference loads of stuff from the 80s but when you posted a picture of yourself you looked about 40
McQueen us brilliant. It’s a shame he felt the need to move to Holland as we could do with a spokespersons like him now, but he hasn’t ever been that vocal. Was you at the Lane when he came out at half time?

How old are you?
You reference loads of stuff from the 80s but when you posted a picture of yourself you looked about 40
McQueen us brilliant. It’s a shame he felt the need to move to Holland as we could do with a spokespersons like him now, but he hasn’t ever been that vocal. Was you at the Lane when he came out at half time?

I am 53 mate turning 54 in March. Sadly I was not at the Lane that day but was fortunate enough to spend an evening in his company as 12 Years A Slave was about to come out. I agree wholeheartedly re: spokesperson but would say that this series screams for him, so he is using one of his mediums to make a massive impact.
Yeah...I remember all the riots/Blair Peach. I was on a couple of marches after the Brixton/Southall/Toxteth riots. The Anti Nazi League were big for me, I was all-in and still am...

Back