• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official Film Thread ***

I sat through The Phantom Thread the other night. Jesus Christ, boring.

I also sat through There Will Be Blood the other night, as I remembered it was good. Again, pretty boring.

In both films I found myself watching THE ACTOR DANIEL DAY LEWIS ACTING REALLY WELL AND REALLY ACTING HIS SCENES CAREFULLY rather than believing the characters and enjoying the film.

This guy is held up as the best actor around (prior to his 'retirement') but he just ACTS SO MUCH ALL THE TIME, HE IS ACTING SO MUCHHHHH.

He can't just be normal and subtle, he ACTS SO LOUDLY AND ACTS SO MUCH.

As for the final scene of There Will Be Blood when he wakes from a drunken coma and can barely stand, then downs a litre of vodka in one go and starts leaping around and smashing someone up. Jesus Christ.

Watched Killing of a Sacred Deer, and it didn't disappoint. Now watched and thoroughly enjoyed all of that Greek geezers movies apart from Alps, which I've read bad reviews Anyone watched it and confirm whether it's worth a viewing?

Just watched Final Score on Sky premiere (I do quite like this idea of being able to see new releases at home the same weekend they come out at the cinema).

Thought it was an action movie. Should have been on the Comedy Channel. West Ham in a European Semi-final, stop it...I understand these films have an element of escapism about them, but lets at least make it slightly believable with the storyline

Is it actually West Ham? I assumed they just used the stadium as it was vacant.

Yes. They have West Ham (although not the real squad) playing a team called Dynamo FC in a European Semi-final 1st leg

Not sure if Bautista thinks he can be another 'Rock', but he is a long way off. Thought he was supposed to be a Spurs fan too, but saw him on the Jonathan Ross last week and he admitted he had no real idea about football

Yes. They have West Ham (although not the real squad) playing a team called Dynamo FC in a European Semi-final 1st leg

Not sure if Bautista thinks he can be another 'Rock', but he is a long way off. Thought he was supposed to be a Spurs fan too, but saw him on the Jonathan Ross last week and he admitted he had no real idea about football
I'm sure he'd feel at home here then.

Wolf of Wall Street covers the same ground as Boiler Room and is much funnier. But generally people use sporting metaphors and footage to convince sales people to put a little more effort in. No-one has ever made a film which glorifies sales, and they'd be especially unlikely to do so in the UK. And there's nothing motivational about getting your team to think about Willy Loman.

Try Pursuit of Happyness

As a general rule, any sales role which thinks Wolf of Wall Street is motivational, is one you should qualify out of immediately.
It’s funny for a bit. Then it’s illegal. Then he becomes a massive massive bell end. Then he goes to jail.
Yeah. Inspirational stuff!

Watched Infinity War the other day, not sure if I’m just bored of the comic book movies now, but I found it a bit annoying, way too many actors/characters as well.

I enjoyed Infinity War, but wasnt as blown away as so many seem to be.

I dont think the Avengers films work, really. They are more an event than movie, and from that perspective this ones about as good as it can be.

I did like the fact that it was Thanos' story, he was the protagonist, it really worked (and he was way better than I expected).

I watched Solo the other day. Quite enjoyed it in a meaningless/popcorn flick kind of way. Obviously has its problems but I dont think it deserved the stick it took. A far better film than The Last Jedi despite its issues.

^^ Seems like many films are of similar quality... but if "most of the people" are saying it is BRILLIANT then you expect too much and it falls flat... and vice versa... most films are "OK"... I am very, very rarely blown away by a film, almost all of them are "fine, OK, right what's next?"

I re-watched The Conversation this weekend and it holds up very well. It was made in the early 70s so the pace is much more deliberate than current films, but Gene Hackman and John Cazale (as always) are great and I enjoyed as much as ever.

I also watched another early 70s film this weekend,The Killer Elite (Robert Duvall, James Caan), which was directed by Sam Peckinpah. I thought it was very, very poor and incredibly dated.

Back