• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Yes he was injured but when fit he still wasn't given a fair chance.

Who does it benefit to not have BAE training btw? i mean why would AVB think that's the best thing to do. Makes no sense at all.

There is obviously a back story here we are not privy to, otherwise this is a huge man management mistake by AVB. There are two LB's at the club and to ostracise one of them makes no sense whatsoever.
What if Rose pulls a hammy in training? Who is going to play there? Naughton? He's been poor when asked to play there. Fryers? A PL noob.

Even if Benny is not in line for a start or a match day squad position, or even if he is transfer listed, you still have to keep him training with the 1st team. It is only prudent. Reminds me a bit of the way AVB handled Alex and Anelka at Chelsea i.e. badly.

There is obviously a back story here we are not privy to, otherwise this is a huge man management mistake by AVB. There are two LB's at the club and to ostracise one of them makes no sense whatsoever.
What if Rose pulls a hammy in training? Who is going to play there? Naughton? He's been poor when asked to play there. Fryers? A PL noob.

Even if Benny is not in line for a start or a match day squad position, or even if he is transfer listed, you still have to keep him training with the 1st team. It is only prudent. Reminds me a bit of the way AVB handled Alex and Anelka at Chelsea i.e. badly.

Yes and no.

For whatever reason it appears BAE is unwanted. It DOES make sense to get him out because we will not be buying a replacement if he is still here. If he is content to stay and not play then that is him being an arsehole and NOT bad man management.
Compare to Gomes. Again he is unwanted but I would guess he is actively looking for a transfer or loan which I am unsure is the case with BAE.

Over the latter part of last season Benny seemed to have a real attitude problem. It took him longer in games to get going and his swashbuckle would only show up towards the end, as if it took him that long to work off his anger and get his focus right. I remember commenting on several games where we conceded poor goals that he was partly to blame for too readily giving up on chasing back. In the Basle home game especially it seemed he could no longer be arsed.

All managers have their bete noirs, maybe he is AVB's.

It was frightening the acres of space on the left the opposition had in some games, sometimes with Naughton.

We need a new LB but somebody has to leave first.

Yes and no.

For whatever reason it appears BAE is unwanted. It DOES make sense to get him out because we will not be buying a replacement if he is still here. If he is content to stay and not play then that is him being an arsehole and NOT bad man management.
Compare to Gomes. Again he is unwanted but I would guess he is actively looking for a transfer or loan which I am unsure is the case with BAE.

If AVB intends to replace him then fine, but there are no guarantees in the transfer market and a suitable replacement may not be found. If this was to happen then AVB has made it very difficult to reintegrate BAE back into the fold. Cutting a player off is not going to help the situation at all.

Benny's perceived attitude may be the problem for AVB though I would describe his laissez-faire demeanour as more of a character trait. If this rankles with AVB then so be it, tell him to shape up or ship out, but I still see no reason at all why this would stop him training.

No, for me there has been a breakdown in trust between the two which goes well beyond just falling down the pecking order.

Last edited:
Maybe this is partly a knock on from Bennys summer sky dive? Its one thing to actually do one and another i suppose to take pics and put them online, maybe somehow AVB took it as a lack or respect?

I agree with the poster somewhere above that Benny is genuinely hurt about this.

I think most Spurs fans are baffled by this whole Benny thing.

I'm not one bit. Looked far from his best last season and is at an age where it might be time to move him on if we're considering a change to how we play. Has been the best LB at the club for some time, but not sure any more. Definitely a position where a serious upgrade is possible.

Don't let Benny the person cloud your views on Benny the player. Anyway, it's AVB's decision to make.

how would we get contraeo when bale isnt going to madrid

look, Levy has already shocked you by paying 25 mill for a 28 year old striker, he is going to shock you again by selling Bale for a world record 85-90 mill pounds. Deal with it ;)

I'm not one bit. Looked far from his best last season and is at an age where it might be time to move him on if we're considering a change to how we play. Has been the best LB at the club for some time, but not sure any more. Definitely a position where a serious upgrade is possible.

Don't let Benny the person cloud your views on Benny the player. Anyway, it's AVB's decision to make.

One, I rate Ekotto far higher than I do Rose or Naughton.
Two, even if he does drop him, to drop him cold turkey and isolate him from the squad, is strange.
Three, Benny the person, is important to a lot of fans. As well as being one of longest serving players we have now, he is fondly thought of by many fans and whilst it's a results business, I personally still enjoy supporting players I like playing for my club. We'll all get over it I'm sure, but I'm just waiting to hear some reasonable logic as to why he is just dropped and not spoken of.

One, I rate Ekotto far higher than I do Rose or Naughton.
Two, even if he does drop him, to drop him cold turkey and isolate him from the squad, is strange.
Three, Benny the person, is important to a lot of fans. As well as being one of longest serving players we have now, he is fondly thought of by many fans and whilst it's a results business, I personally still enjoy supporting players I like playing for my club. We'll all get over it I'm sure, but I'm just waiting to hear some reasonable logic as to why he is just dropped and not spoken of.

We don't know what has happened. For all we know he was given one day off as he wasn't needed for the match squad this weekend or maybe there's something to the claims that our medical team don't think he's 100%. A player saying he's fit doesn't mean he's actually ready to start a PL game.

People criticizing AVB's team selection on the basis that they THINK BAE is better than Rose or simply because they think BAE is a cool guy is pretty useless, unless they actually know first hand the situation with the players and how they've been doing in training.

I'm quite happy we don't deal with our internal matters through the press.

We don't know what has happened. For all we know he was given one day off as he wasn't needed for the match squad this weekend or maybe there's something to the claims that our medical team don't think he's 100%. A player saying he's fit doesn't mean he's actually ready to start a PL game.

People criticizing AVB's team selection on the basis that they THINK BAE is better than Rose or simply because they think BAE is a cool guy is pretty useless, unless they actually know first hand the situation with the players and how they've been doing in training.

I'm quite happy we don't deal with our internal matters through the press.

I actually agree with all of that. But it's still weird to me how he's just been left out. So if he was given the day off for some reason then fair enough. It does seem that there's more to it, with him not featuring in any preseason games. Ultimately of course it's AVBs decision and he knows a hell of a lot more than me.

I read something recently about AVB and the staff where at odds with BAE over his injuries. It pretty much boiled down to Benny saying he was fit and had recovered from his injuries and AVb saying he hadnt.

I'm sure someone else out there has read the same thing and has the link but I can't find it.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏@AssouEkotto 1h
@edf92 yo why you follow me? U wanna becom a good player thats why? LOL good luck this season my man hope as spurs ll give u a chance❤

Reply to @AssouEkotto @edf92
Zeki Fryers ‏@edf92 59m
@AssouEkotto hahaha! Of course mon frere! Thanks....goodluck to you ❤

Benny has left the building..

Didn't he slag off AVB on twitter when he arrived? If AVB let's him get away with that his authority is undermined. Bit like Bentley soaking Harry. Players need to know you don't fudge with the boss.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto ‏@AssouEkotto 1h
@edf92 yo why you follow me? U wanna becom a good player thats why? LOL good luck this season my man hope as spurs ll give u a chance��������❤

Reply to @AssouEkotto @edf92
Zeki Fryers ‏@edf92 59m
@AssouEkotto hahaha! Of course mon frere! ���� Thanks....goodluck to you ��❤

Benny has left the building..

Before today I did not think Rose was the answer. After today I think he COULD be the answer.
Spurs players were confident passing to him today the way they were with BAE.
Zeki did not do anything horrible that I remember pre-season. Perhaps he and Naughton are suitable back ups.

Back