• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official Benoit Thread

Never heard of that rule Crawley. I thought any type of head, chest, shoulder, etc passback was fine?

Just read why it was introduced. Imagine it now...

The back-pass rule was introduced in 1992 to discourage time-wasting and overly defensive play after the 1990 World Cup was described as exceedingly dull, rife with back-passing and goalkeepers holding up the ball. Also, goalkeepers would frequently drop the ball and dribble it around, only to pick it up again once opponents came closer to put them under pressure; a typical time-stalling technique. An example was when Ireland goalkeeper Pat Bonner kept the ball for over 6 minutes against Egypt by dribbling it around his box and picking it up again. Therefore, another rule was introduced at the same time as the back-pass rule, with the same intentions. This rule prohibits the goalkeeper from handling the ball again once he has released it for play. This offence would also result in an indirect free kick to the opposition.

Never heard of that rule Crawley. I thought any type of head, chest, shoulder, etc passback was fine?

Just read why it was introduced. Imagine it now...

The back-pass rule was introduced in 1992 to discourage time-wasting and overly defensive play after the 1990 World Cup was described as exceedingly dull, rife with back-passing and goalkeepers holding up the ball. Also, goalkeepers would frequently drop the ball and dribble it around, only to pick it up again once opponents came closer to put them under pressure; a typical time-stalling technique. An example was when Ireland goalkeeper Pat Bonner kept the ball for over 6 minutes against Egypt by dribbling it around his box and picking it up again. Therefore, another rule was introduced at the same time as the back-pass rule, with the same intentions. This rule prohibits the goalkeeper from handling the ball again once he has released it for play. This offence would also result in an indirect free kick to the opposition.

Dalglish's Liverpool were awful for doing it. They'd take a lead and then pass the ball across the back four, back to the keeper, he'd role it out, repeat ad infinitum.

THAT!

I think the header was allowed simply because it's harder to 'manufacture' than the back-pass, which, theoretically they could keep doing back-and-forth for the rest of the game... (a la Liverpool, which is why the League stopped it in the first place) ...but a knee/header like that is only going to happen once before the 'keeper has to clear it... unless they REALLY took the tinkle and Brad simply 'buzzed it up' gently in the air for Benny to head back again... would've been fun to see how many time the ref would've allowed them to do it!!!!

But I've seen players heading it back to their keepers thousands of times. I though the rule only concerened a 'foot' pass?

As it doesn't touch his foot. then it's allowed, I think the rule is to stop players flicking it up from the floor.

I remember when the pass-back rule was first introduced, Darren Pea**** got booked for ungentlemanly conduct for passing it back to the keeper from the ground with a diving header.

More Benny awesomeness 8)

Tottenham left-back Benoit Assou-Ekotto has revealed there would be sadness in the dressing room should Harry Redknapp leave.

Following Fabio Capello's resignation as England manager, Redknapp has become the firm favourite to replace the Italian.

Assou-Ekotto believes whatever decision the manager makes will cause upset one way or another, but remains adamant he wants to see Redknapp stay at White Hart Lane.

The full-back netted in the fourth minute for Spurs against Saudi Sportswashing Machine last time out as they thumped the Magpies 5-0 and has praised the manager for allowing freedom of expression within the squad.

"I am a Tottenham player but I am not English so I hope England fans can forgive me when I say that I would like Harry Redknapp to stay at Spurs," he told the London Evening Standard.

"It may sound selfish but Harry has been very good for me so it is natural that I don't want him to go.

Special

"If the Football Association want him to be England manager he will have a very tough decision to make and no matter what he decides, some will be happy and others will be sad. All I know is that he is our gaffer at the moment and we are enjoying it.

"When I think about it now, I wonder what I was doing so far up the pitch in the fourth minute but that is what Harry has got us doing. That is what makes him so special.

"He encourages us to play football and to express ourselves. He even lets me play with my afro, although I must confess that is more down to my laziness and unwillingness to go out in the cold to get my hair done."

Assou-Ekotto was brought to the club in 2006 when Martin Jol signed the 27-year-old from French club Lens, but then struggled to establish a starting place during Juande Ramos' tenure before Redknapp gave the defender another chance to revitalise his career.

The Cameroon international's goal on Saturday saw him double his season's tally, while also hitting a career high, and Assou-Ekotto is delighted to be able to find the net for his team.

Record

"I have broken my all-time record by scoring two goals in one season," he added. "Prior to that I had scored two goals, full stop. I must say they were both beautiful goals and I could have happily retired with those.

"But Emmanuel Adebayor wanted to make goals for everyone against Saudi Sportswashing Machine on Saturday and I was happy to accept mine."

Next on the agenda for Spurs is a trip to Broadhall Way to take on League One outfit Stevenage in the FA Cup fifth round and Assou-Ekotto recognises the threat of not focusing on the game enough.

"This weekend sees a return to FA Cup action and I know the gaffer has demanded that we take it seriously," he said.

"Being knocked out of Europe could have been a bit of luck, some of the teams left in it will have been distracted by European competitions and it has allowed us to rest longer.

"If we don't take Stevenage seriously, they will hurt us. Somebody told me that they beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine quite recently so we cannot take them lightly."

"He encourages us to play football and to express ourselves. He even lets me play with my afro, although I must confess that is more down to my laziness and unwillingness to go out in the cold to get my hair done."

:ross: I love him.

Firstly I'm impressed he knows he is playing Stevenage. He must be taking his omega 3 supplements.

Here's another classic quote...
"When I think about it now, I wonder what I was doing so far up the pitch in the fourth minute..."
Mad.

"If we don't take Stevenage seriously, they will hurt us. Somebody told me that they beat Saudi Sportswashing Machine quite recently so we cannot take them lightly."

I love the fact that he doesn't know things like that, and has to be told what's going on the football world. Like that time he was asked for his view on VDV signing and he said he'd never heard of him.

I'm not too keen on rotating the back line, unless you are forced to change, I think you are better off playing your best four and allowing them to build an understanding.

i'm in absolute agreement with that - and make that the back 5, including the goalie.

if something had to give, i'd think the LB and RB are less critical than the CBs and keeper. Plus how our wingers play full length of the pitch, it might be good tactical change. however redknapp's not a fan of this as corluka is more than capable to come in on the 60th minute to wreak havoc. anyone watched his game for bayern against barca? he was great going forwards and defending. stopped messi dribbling a few times, plus that assist.

I do worry that Benny is one of the players that might suffer from Harry moving on. He has undoubtedly improved massively under Redknapp and another manager may not indulge him so much and give him the confidence that he needs to play well.

Hadn't previously thought about that as an issue but, you could be right. I hope whoever the new manager is, he's aware of both BAE's talent and the kind of player that he is. BAE is one of the heroes at the Lane, partly because he is soo cool, partly because he has been very good for us these last couple of seasons, and I feel that if the manager tries to force him out because he doesn't understand him then he would be making a big mistake and in the eyes of the fans too.

according to Harry, quote, "it was er, er ....er a small operation er...er, his groin.............."

See what happens when he doesn't play? We grind out a dire 0-0 against a side 2 divisions lower than ourselves. :(

Back