• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T The England Thread

Spursalot

Jimmy McCormick
What the title says.

So who do people think? Will Capello go forwards and offer it to someone who is going to be around for 5-6 years?

Or will he decide that as he's only there for the euros whoever takes over will have to deal with it and just nominate someone for the short term?

I can't see Rooney ever getting it, he's just too volatile at times, Gerrard is an option though he's one of those 'Golden generation'.

My view is that he should give it to Scottie P, is there another player in the England squad with the tenacity, work rate, bravery, willingness to commit than scottie p? If we want a player who can lead by example i think he's the perfect choice.

My gut tells me he will choose from Hart, Rio, Barry, Parker, Gerrard or Rooney. Being Italian i cannot see him picking a Goalkeeper, so im ruling hart out. Gerrard is not fit yet and Rooney is a sandwich short at times. So I would cut that down to Parker, Barry and Rio. Rio is getting on and has injury problems himself but has been captain before! would he accept again after having it taken away from him to give to Terry? I dont think so. So by my process of elimination i think he will give it to Barry.

Just said on SSN that Parker is trending on Twitter. That's how they gauge public opinion now apparently. Gerrard was the 2nd choice wasn't he? Can see him getting it ahead of Parker unfortunately.

Rio and Gerrard are out of the question given their fitness/form issues. Parker and Hart are most likely to play every match and aren't complete clams.

I would say Hart is the best call, always seems pretty vocal and calm as well which helps. And he's here for the long term. Arguably he's the best in his position in the England team, maybe Cole is actually, not sure....

I think Capello will give it to Parker, although it won't make any difference it will be a nice honour for him to have.

Could do a lot for the dressing room having the England captain amoungst our ranks. Would be wonderful - would be delighted to have him or Hart named as captain; maybe the latter is a bit young but hey.

Could do a lot for the dressing room having the England captain amoungst our ranks. Would be wonderful - would be delighted to have him or Hart named as captain; maybe the latter is a bit young but hey.

I'm still waiting for the classic England goalkeeping gaff that shatters their confidence and means that they are never picked again.

I don't want it, i've just kind of become used to it by now.

Has to be Parker.

Leadership material? Check.
Respected by team mates and press? Check
Leaves everything on the pitch? Check
Not a clam? Check.
Floppy hair? Check

'Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand has ruled himself out of the running to replace John Terry as England captain.'

I don't particularly like having our players in the England squad full stop, let alone one of them having the responsibility of being captain.

But Parker would be the obvious choice.

My gut tells me he will choose from Hart, Rio, Barry, Parker, Gerrard or Rooney. Being Italian i cannot see him picking a Goalkeeper, so im ruling hart out. Gerrard is not fit yet and Rooney is a sandwich short at times. So I would cut that down to Parker, Barry and Rio. Rio is getting on and has injury problems himself but has been captain before! would he accept again after having it taken away from him to give to Terry? I dont think so. So by my process of elimination i think he will give it to Barry.

Zoff captained Italy in the '82 World Cup so I don't think you can rule out Hart.

I'd prefer Parker obviously......

Why do we need a permanent captain? Can't we just pick one on the day from whoever makes the 11? Do other countries all have a named captain who must then be guaranteed to get into every squad/team no matter how brick he's playing?

Back