• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Dave Mackay

When I was a kid I lived for few years in Kuwait. They have a Spurs/arsenal rivalry over there and Mackay used to manage the other team (Al-Arabi). I
hated that team so much. But always admired how tough they were. Very athletic, fit, quick, and skillful. Simply superior to all teams in the region (middle
east).
I always wished he would be the manager of the team I supported. And always wondered why is he managing in a country like Kuwait and not in England or even Scotland. you could feel his character reflecting on his teams...

All the best wishes Mr. Mackay...You coached one of my most hated teams and that made for some agony (and tears ;))..but that compares to nothing of the joy knowing that you lead Spurs to the famous double and being such a legend to my beloved Tottenham Hotspur :)

:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a kid I lived for few years in Kuwait. They have a Spurs/arsenal rivalry over there and Mackay used to manage the other team (Al-Arabi). I
hated that team so much. But always admired how tough they were. Very athletic, fit, quick, and skillful. Simply superior to all teams in the region (middle
east).
I always wished he would be the manager of the team I supported. And always wondered why is he managing in a country like Kuwait and not in England or even Scotland. you could feel his character reflecting on his teams...

All the best wishes Mr. Mackay...You coached one of my most hated teams and that made for some agony (and tears ;))..but that compares to nothing of the joy knowing that you lead Spurs to the famous double and being such a legend to my beloved Tottenham Hotspur :)

:rolleyes:

He didn't

Wishing you all the best Dave. I never saw you play, but your legend lives on. Thanks Totman for a great summary of Dave's influence on Spurs' history.

Here's the Spurs line up vs Man Utd in 1965 with Mackay in it. A formation you don't see a whole lot in the modern game and possibly the last time we beat united.
spurs vs man 1965.jpg

Here's the highlights if you want a trip down white hart lane
http://youtu.be/5jYTLfukNUg

Quite.
Big Dave was post double.

Eh? Not sure if serious???

He signed for Spurs in 1959 and was a key member of the double team.

I think mick was merely pointing out that Mackay didn't lead the double team. That honour, of course, was Danny Blanchflower's.

P.S. He isn't / wasn't very big either - at least, not in terms of height. Marginally smaller than Luka Modric, in fact, but barrel chested, strong as an ox and very big of heart.

Here's the Spurs line up vs Man Utd in 1965 with Mackay in it. A formation you don't see a whole lot in the modern game and possibly the last time we beat united.
View attachment 332

Here's the highlights if you want a trip down white hart lane
http://youtu.be/5jYTLfukNUg

even in 65 teams had stopped playing in that formation, which died out in the early 50's, but teamsheets would be printed like that into the 70's, despite it not being a formation that anyone still played.

I think mick was merely pointing out that Mackay didn't lead the double team. That honour, of course, was Danny Blanchflower's.

P.S. He isn't / wasn't very big either - at least, not in terms of height. Marginally smaller than Luka Modric, in fact, but barrel chested, strong as an ox and very big of heart.

yup

Yeh, sorry, had a moment there :oops:

Posted that when tinkled last night coming home after midnight. Wasn't thinking straight.

Have spoken to Dave's daughter Val, and Dave is okay. Obviously he has been 'unwell' for some quite time, but I think Alan Brazil and TalkSport
have created a Chinese Whisper's situation. Btw my dad was John White, so I know the Mackay's pretty well. Stay calm guys.

Have spoken to Dave's daughter Val, and Dave is okay. Obviously he has been 'unwell' for some quite time, but I think Alan Brazil and TalkSport
have created a Chinese Whisper's situation. Btw my dad was John White, so I know the Mackay's pretty well. Stay calm guys.

Well done fella.

And thanks

True enough, Dave did not lead the team to The Double, as in, he did not captain the side. But I suspect few who witnessed that great team would doubt that our achievement owed as much if not more to his dynamic leadership qualities than even our wily old captain the great Danny Blanchflower.

Good to hear he's okay.

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that.

You're Rob White I presume. I read a good article about you (and your book) in the Guardian a while back.

Back