• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

He left the club 23 years ago. Can’t be many people he knew who are still working at the club, especially in positions where they are close to the dressing room.
Argue what I've said all you like
I've just posted what I've been told

Another leak to try and undermine Nuno?

via the Athletic and BBC gossip column.

Tottenham injected fresh life into their season yesterday, beating Aston Villa to end a run of three straight Premier Leaguedefeats and ease the pressure that was building on Nuno Espirito Santo.

After a promising start to the campaign, Spurs went down 3-0 to both Crystal Palace and Chelsea before succumbing 3-1 at Arsenal, putting their new head coach under scrutiny. But an impressive 2-1 home victory over Villa moved Tottenham up to eighth place in the table and they go into the international break trailing leaders Chelsea by just four points.

Nuno’s appointment marked the culmination of a lengthy recruitment process that saw several managers heavily linked with the role. The former Wolves manager was not Tottenham’s first-choice candidate but the club secured him on a deal that is believed to be heavily weighted in their favour.

The Athletic has learned that chairman Daniel Levy succeeded in reaching the agreement on his terms, notably including a clause that would benefit Spurs if their season does not go to plan.

It is understood that should Nuno fail to deliver a top-six finish, Tottenham would be able to sack the 47-year-old midway through his two-year deal without having to pay any compensation.

That puts Spurs in something of a win-win situation. Either Nuno leads them to a European qualification spot or they can part ways at no added cost.

Both sides will hope that sufficient progress is achieved to render the option redundant but its existence underlines both Nuno’s eagerness to take on the challenge and Levy’s negotiating skills.

It also indicates Nuno’s arrival was a compromise in a tough managerial market. Spurs fans will probably have few complaints if his men continue playing as they did against Villa.

A Tottenham spokesperson said the information regarding the clause in Nuno’s contract is wrong and untrue. The Athletic decided to publish it anyway.

Tottenham injected fresh life into their season yesterday, beating Aston Villa to end a run of three straight Premier Leaguedefeats and ease the pressure that was building on Nuno Espirito Santo.

After a promising start to the campaign, Spurs went down 3-0 to both Crystal Palace and Chelsea before succumbing 3-1 at Arsenal, putting their new head coach under scrutiny. But an impressive 2-1 home victory over Villa moved Tottenham up to eighth place in the table and they go into the international break trailing leaders Chelsea by just four points.

Nuno’s appointment marked the culmination of a lengthy recruitment process that saw several managers heavily linked with the role. The former Wolves manager was not Tottenham’s first-choice candidate but the club secured him on a deal that is believed to be heavily weighted in their favour.

The Athletic has learned that chairman Daniel Levy succeeded in reaching the agreement on his terms, notably including a clause that would benefit Spurs if their season does not go to plan.

It is understood that should Nuno fail to deliver a top-six finish, Tottenham would be able to sack the 47-year-old midway through his two-year deal without having to pay any compensation.

That puts Spurs in something of a win-win situation. Either Nuno leads them to a European qualification spot or they can part ways at no added cost.

Both sides will hope that sufficient progress is achieved to render the option redundant but its existence underlines both Nuno’s eagerness to take on the challenge and Levy’s negotiating skills.

It also indicates Nuno’s arrival was a compromise in a tough managerial market. Spurs fans will probably have few complaints if his men continue playing as they did against Villa.

A Tottenham spokesperson said the information regarding the clause in Nuno’s contract is wrong and untrue. The Athletic decided to publish it anyway.
This came from Hitchen

It's hardly a story. (If true)

Performance related break clause...well I never:rolleyes:

There's been plenty of managers who put themselves on rolling year contracts ie 'if I'm good, we keep rolling'.

And we're probably a bit sick of paying off managers that are not cutting it.

Besides it was a negotiation...one assumes everyone was happy and duly signed.

Yet we’re 4 points off top - I’m not sure what that table means in isolation? Maybe it just means we’re expending less energy chasing the ball? I mean, Liverpool aside, you have to get half way down that table to get to most of the title challengers anyway. I think you need a metic that’s distance covered vs useful outcome but I’m not sure how you get to that.

Yet we’re 4 points off top - I’m not sure what that table means in isolation? Maybe it just means we’re expending less energy chasing the ball? I mean, Liverpool aside, you have to get half way down that table to get to most of the title challengers anyway. I think you need a metic that’s distance covered vs useful outcome but I’m not sure how you get to that.
You don't need to run the furthest to be a good football team. It's more about when and where you run. Number of sprints is even more important. Unfortunately, we're bottom of that list too....

You don't need to run the furthest to be a good football team. It's more about when and where you run. Number of sprints is even more important. Unfortunately, we're bottom of that list too....

absolutely correct. Anyway (and I’m more than prepared for someone to tell me that my GCSE maths is wrong…) we are approx 60km short of Leeds. 60km divided by 7 games = average 8.5km per match less than them. Divided by 10 outfield players = 850m less per player. Yes, I know it’s basic maths but even so, we really aren’t that far behind the ‘top ranked’ team. And that team is renowned for a very high tempo playing style.

absolutely correct. Anyway (and I’m more than prepared for someone to tell me that my GCSE maths is wrong…) we are approx 60km short of Leeds. 60km divided by 7 games = average 8.5km per match less than them. Divided by 10 outfield players = 850m less per player. Yes, I know it’s basic maths but even so, we really aren’t that far behind the ‘top ranked’ team. And that team is renowned for a very high tempo playing style.
850m is quite a lot. It's almost 10%, and 10% in any elite sport is a HUGE gap!
I think Hamilton would go mental if he had to drive with 10% less engine power than everyone else!

Last edited:
It’s a bloody good job this ain’t rugby or American football (sports you run the ball over the line)
Whilst I recognise the running and effort needs to improve maybe use the above metrics and factor in the points won against that.
Then monitor that over the season
The combined points of the 3 teams that have ran the most are less than ours

Back