• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

I won't be watching the Villa game or the conference league game.

They have 3 full weeks to get someone in for the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game.

Who was the middle player in the midfield three?
Peh? Its about the only place he wasn't today. The hole in the middle of the park was cavernous.
And i don't get this compact thing at all. There were gaps everywhere, in and out of possession. Today looked like a team thats never played together and didn't know each what they were supposed to be doing.
With the current system the front three has to shut down those passes in between the lines to opposing players in central areas.

Our wide midfielders are tasked with going wide to the opposition full back as soon as they get the ball. If we allow them to play through the centre as well the gaps to cover is just too much for a midfield three. We could have peak Sandro x3 and struggle.

I find the lack of adjustment and a backup plan defensively a bit strange. It clearly wasn't working. We showed no signs of being able to rectify that in the first half.

I didn't see a system, i saw a hit it long policy.
We played very well for 45 against Chelsea and wolves mid week with a system, and then throw it all away fir that mess today.
I don't get it.
Hopefully something will have become obvious today and it can get sorted.
But I'm not holding my breath.
Opposition presses us well, we're forced to play hopeful at best long balls.

Opposition doesn't give space and time to our full backs, but allow Dier and Sanchez time on the ball. The two of them just stand around waiting for Dier to try a quarterback pass in behind against a settled team expecting just that.

Opposition sits back we do eventually get the ball to a decent position and we have some players capable of creating something. We can even look decent.

Overall though our buildup play from the back is poor and it makes us easy to play against. We get put under sustained pressure. That's "fine" when our defending is on point and we're able to counter attack (see start of the season). When our defending isn't on point, this kind of thing happens.

I didn't see a system, i saw a hit it long policy.
We played very well for 45 against Chelsea and wolves mid week with a system, and then throw it all away fir that mess today.
I don't get it.
Hopefully something will have become obvious today and it can get sorted.
But I'm not holding my breath.

We were talking about this. If you have Ndombele then why were we not using him? Why did we appear to try and bypass with long balls? I thought PEH lacked discipline today and definitely cost us the second, we’ve discussed Dele being poor, yes, overall there were some poor performances which resulted from the instruction. What I cannot stomach was the anemic feeling which seemed to infect the team for most of the first half.

We were talking about this. If you have Ndombele then why were we not using him? Why did we appear to try and bypass with long balls? I thought PEH lacked discipline today and definitely cost us the second, we’ve discussed Dele being poor, yes, overall there were some poor performances which resulted from the instruction. What I cannot stomach was the anemic feeling which seemed to infect the team for most of the first half.

Our players panic and end up hoofing it long and bypass the midfield.

The slightest bit of pressure and it goes long, the players dont seem to trust themselves or each other when passing it.

Definitely seems that something bigger is taking shape. As soon as this group concede they have gone on to concede more goals immediately in 3 games running now (4 if you include the Wolves cup game).

That says to me that players are fragile or that players step off the gas because they don’t support what is being given to them and as soon as it busts they down tools.

I think we are persisting with this 433 to get Tanguy in. For me personally I’d immediately go back to 4231 and get Skipp and Hojbjerg together to form some structure. This would mean we’ve at least got 10 round pegs in round holes with a wildcard in Tanguy in the 10 role. Dele misses out but he can dovetail with Tang. I’d also be looking to get Gil in for Moura as a longer term solution. Him and Son can take turns left and right - I’m almost certain Gil could be successful off the right coming inside aswell as being a threat from the left.

Our players panic and end up hoofing it long and bypass the midfield.

The slightest bit of pressure and it goes long, the players dont seem to trust themselves or each other when passing it.
Even without pressure, or before the pressure. Dier and Sanchez stop, look for the Hollywood pass that isn't going to be on, play a safe useless short pass, rinse and repeat ad nauseum. No pace, no purpose.

Stand off our centre backs, vaguely close down passing lanes. Wait. Press when a marker for pressing appears, but really that doesn't even matter that much.

Definitely seems that something bigger is taking shape. As soon as this group concede they have gone on to concede more goals immediately in 3 games running now (4 if you include the Wolves cup game).

That says to me that players are fragile or that players step off the gas because they don’t support what is being given to them and as soon as it busts they down tools.

I think we are persisting with this 433 to get Tanguy in. For me personally I’d immediately go back to 4231 and get Skipp and Hojbjerg together to form some structure. This would mean we’ve at least got 10 round pegs in round holes with a wildcard in Tanguy in the 10 role. Dele misses out but he can dovetail with Tang. I’d also be looking to get Gil in for Moura as a longer term solution. Him and Son can take turns left and right - I’m almost certain Gil could be successful off the right coming inside aswell as being a threat from the left.
I think I can understand the logic of that 4-2-3-1. Make its solid at least. The problem for me is with the current back four + Lloris we rely so much on our midfielders to make something happen. I don't think Skipp and Hojbjerg have it in them to be that creative. After yesterday, solid defending and looking to counter attack looks like a step in the right direction, but it doesn't solve underlying issues.

I don't think we can play with Dier and Sanchez. Would love for them to prove me wrong, I've wanted that for a long time, but been left waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

For me Romero or Rodon have to play. I'd want both, but I'm frustrated after yesterday. We have to work on our buildup play, if that doesn't improve we'll be screwed.

Sometimes a defeat like this can be a wake up call. Often when we have beat a team like Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool it has been a catalyst for them turning their form around and going on a significant unbeaten run.

First thing I’d take from this defeat is drop Alli to the bench and keep him there until he gets close to his form from 2018 and put Lo Celso and Ndombele in the team. Yes neither of them are Glenn Hoddle but we have a giant chasm of creativity, a midfield trio consisting of Alli and Hojbjerg just doesn’t cut it.

Next item on the agenda is start Romero for every league game if he is fit. We paid a lot of money for him for a reason because Dier and Sanchez aren’t good enough. Only play him in the Europa if he can cope with 2 games in a week.

If Kane doesn’t start trying and his form doesn’t improve then drop kick his ass to the bench too. We shouldn’t be trying to placate him or win him over, he’s mentally checked out now and we should be done letting him have so much influence on the team, in the dressing room or wherever else he has any sort of power.

Still willing to give Nuno a chance as this is not all his fault but make no mistake, he looks way out of his depth, he’s too slow to make changes. Poch I felt at times was also too unwilling to make tough calls and haul people off early, change things etc but his plan A worked 55-65% of the time and we had a style of play implemented that didn’t rely on star players. I’m not holding my breath Nuno will turn this around but stranger things have happened. It’s on Levy 100% if he doesn’t. The search for the manager was shambolic and for me, he’s got one too many wrong if Nuno doesn’t work out.

I think I can understand the logic of that 4-2-3-1. Make its solid at least. The problem for me is with the current back four + Lloris we rely so much on our midfielders to make something happen. I don't think Skipp and Hojbjerg have it in them to be that creative. After yesterday, solid defending and looking to counter attack looks like a step in the right direction, but it doesn't solve underlying issues.

I don't think we can play with Dier and Sanchez. Would love for them to prove me wrong, I've wanted that for a long time, but been left waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

For me Romero or Rodon have to play. I'd want both, but I'm frustrated after yesterday. We have to work on our buildup play, if that doesn't improve we'll be screwed.
Romero and Dier looked very good vs Chelsea IMO but Rodon never seems to get starts which I find odd
We didn’t have creativity with dembele and wanyama. We had tow players who complimented each other and of course we had moussas ability to keep the ball, but he then gave it to others to create. We ain’t getting another moussa unless Sarr turns out to be that man. So use two players who can and will try to win the midfield and then you. An get the full backs forward more to support the 4 attacking players

Even without pressure, or before the pressure. Dier and Sanchez stop, look for the Hollywood pass that isn't going to be on, play a safe useless short pass, rinse and repeat ad nauseum. No pace, no purpose.

Stand off our centre backs, vaguely close down passing lanes. Wait. Press when a marker for pressing appears, but really that doesn't even matter that much.

Romero needs to come in, he seems to be decent with the ball from the little I have seen - Then I am not sure who you play with him.

There was a 3 minute period early into yesterday when the CM and Defence kept playing each other into trouble with worsening passes and first touches till it finally ended up with Hugo slicing it into touch.

You can blame Jose/Nuno for selections or formations, but what chance has anyone got when this is a common theme.

4-3-3 has to be binned. It’s not working at all. I don’t care if it’s 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2 / 3-4-3 but something has to drastic change.

Villa are no rollover - next week he has to get it right or the atmosphere will turn

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

We may well be in a relegation battle this season. Our stats suggest that will be the case.

When the club go out and get a manager where it’s obvious the main factors in employing him are simply that he was cheap and available, it tells the players a hell of a lot. Our players know that the owners of the club do not really want to go the extra mile in order for the club they own to be able to win things. They know we are making up the numbers in the PL and are playing that way. At present the players think they are too good to be relegated, that attitude needs to change otherwise we’ll get sucked in to that battle and I’m not sure we have the cojones to come through one.

For alli we have other players
We have no other Kane though and there are no other goals there
I genuinely believe dele isn’t a bad apple but is a square peg
Tanguy… whole different league of issues
Going into a season with only one centre forward at the club is ridiculous, even more so when the CF is desperate to leave (and I don’t blame him at all for being desperate to leave this club).

We may well be in a relegation battle this season. Our stats suggest that will be the case.

When the club go out and get a manager where it’s obvious the main factors in employing him are simply that he was cheap and available, it tells the players a hell of a lot. Our players know that the owners of the club do not really want to go the extra mile in order for the club they own to be able to win things. They know we are making up the numbers in the PL and are playing that way. At present the players think they are too good to be relegated, that attitude needs to change otherwise we’ll get sucked in to that battle and I’m not sure we have the cojones to come through one.
Yep, I've come to terms that we could be in a relegation battle.

Would be absolutely disastrous because I don't think as a club we would come back from it. I think it would be hilarious though and exactly what Levy deserves.

We have to make Romero work from the money we’ve spent. I assume he has a touch of class!? I like Rodon also.

In terms of build up - I think the line up I suggested gives us 2 chances. Kane and Son on the break. Tanguy and Gil for the build up. The latter will take a while to come but at least we’d have that base to build from.

If we ever wanted to feel adventurous we could bring GLC into the midfield 2 to give them a rest. He can also connect from back to front.

It's definitely the players - it's been the players for almost two years now but out of the last three managers we've had, Santo's system is certainly the worst. We're way too narrow and flat, particularly in midfield. I'm guessing the idea is for our CM to move wide when they receive the ball but the result is absolutely abject.

When we try to go through the middle, we can't play between the lines. Usually one of our forwards drops a little deeper but then, the other two can't find any space - again, because of our narrow set-up. And when they try to combine down the flanks, we don't have anyone except Kane's lookalike to head the ball in. Regardless of their heading ability, we just don't have enough bodies in the box to be a threat from crosses.

All in all, it doesn't make up for a very pretty picture. Apparently, he was pleased with what we did in the first three games but it's quite obvious that we couldn't keep that kind of run going with these performances. We're lucky to have 9 points.

Maybe he should drop a couple of players but I think this squad's rotten. Quite frankly, it's difficult to image that these are the same Kane and Son who looked unstoppable a year ago...
When players think they have something to play for they will play. When they know they have a lame duck manager they don’t. Remember when Ferguson said he was going to leave Man Utd at the end of the season and their performances dropped off a cliff? He then extended his deal and things immediately picked up again.

Our players know that Nuno isn’t anything like a top manager. I was hoping that him being a nice guy might get the players playing for him anyway but it appears not. Hojbjerg casually, slowly jogging back for their first goal was extremely telling IMO. Had he bothered to make a sprint he probably would’ve been occupying the spot from where the goal was scored. Nuno should’ve taken him off at half-time to show the squad that attitude simply isn’t acceptable. People are down on Dele, who was poor yesterday, but Hojbjerg isn’t even trying.

Back