• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Thats a good plan against top top teams, but if we have ambitions to be a top 4 team, then being a counter-attacking team is unlikely to cut it. I really do support giving Nuno time even though, jeez, some of his decisions (Palace line-up, Emerson sub for Moura at Rennes etc) and tactics really make that tough

To a post by someone else above, his appointment was odd and its possible that he's just a stop-gap until Poch inevitably gets sacked and replaced by a more fashionable manager at PSG. I could buy that - he's a decent likeable person who people would want to succeed and won't act like that repulsive Portuguese guy before him...and maybe last summer and next summer we rebuild the squad in time for MoPo to take it back over?

I'm not someone who thinks that Poch is the Messiah however we couldnt possibly attract another manager of his calibre if it wasnt him and wasnt for his previous time at the club. Really, if we canned Nuno next spring with us, say, 10th in the table who would we get?

Agreed on needing more plans.

On Nuno being a "stop gap", I have a difficult time seeing it. A lot of things have to align for a sacking and new hire to go through. Sacking a manager that's doing well is not a great position to be in, though Poch coming in would obviously sweeten that.

I think he was just seen as the best possible hire at the time. Perhaps a thought in the back of the heads of Levy and Paratici that perhaps Pochettino will be available in a year or two and having a manager on a shorter contract could work out, but not much more than that.

I think he was just seen as the best possible hire at the time. Perhaps a thought in the back of the heads of Levy and Paratici that perhaps Pochettino will be available in a year or two and having a manager on a shorter contract could work out, but not much more than that.

Better articulated that my attempt. Best available (ish - Potter would have been better) but not overly convinced about him and hence the 2-year, £80k per week contract. Cheap to fire if he doesnt succeed

Poch? He looks like he's not going to make it in PSG and we want him back?
Another issue is a lack of team spirit and players that need more cajoling to play the role the manager wants. Can't we just sell the square pegs and get the players the coach wants. Simple message to players too... Shape out or ship out.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

No particular love for Sleeper. They were third tier even for Britpop. But that’s what Nuno is, anyway, so it’s difficult to be too bothered.

Sacking a manager that's doing well is not a great position to be in, though Poch coming in would obviously sweeten that.

Oh Christ are we back there already?

Poch? He looks like he's not going to make it in PSG and we want him back?
Another issue is a lack of team spirit and players that need more cajoling to play the role the manager wants. Can't we just sell the square pegs and get the players the coach wants. Simple message to players too... Shape out or ship out.

Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

In theory that sounds good, but at the moment I am not sure I trust Nuno's judgement, not when he is starting 3 defensive midfield players against Palace, or taking off Moura on Thursday and replacing him with Emmerson, a right back.

That's rather disheartening

The tactics of trying to keep a clean sheet for the first 60 mins makes no sense either. It just means the other side dominate possession and have their tails up, and then we you do decide to attack (ie after an hour) you need to turn the tide. It weird. Hopefully his attacking line-up on Thurs v Rennes shows that he's taken on board that boring line-ups and tactics wont work

Nuno Espirito Santo teams have failed to score in the first-half in 83 of his 118 games in the
@PremierLeague
Key thing is how many of these were 0-0 at half time, and how many he went on to win.

It would have to be a high proportion. If a Spurs' manager plays turgid football he'll only last if he brings top 4 and trophies. 5th/6th and EL football wouldnt be enough

It would have to be a high proportion. If a Spurs' manager plays turgid football he'll only last if he brings top 4 and trophies
Can’t see it working for Nuno here. Think the squad is full of holes and his style of football is pretty dull. After the Jose 18 months of awful football think the fan base will turn pretty quickly. Lose the next two and he will be under pressure.

Can’t see it working for Nuno here. Think the squad is full of holes and his style of football is pretty dull. After the Jose 18 months of awful football think the fan base will turn pretty quickly. Lose the next two and he will be under pressure.

Not sure about the next two games, but following Jose is tough for him. Awful football won't be tolerated. Was only one substitution, but the Emerson for Moura thing v Rennes spoke volumes for me

Not sure about the next two games, but following Jose is tough for him. Awful football won't be tolerated. Was only one substitution, but the Emerson for Moura thing v Rennes spoke volumes for me
Won’t be to much good will. There’s been no signs of decent football 5/6 Games in . Think it will be negative tomorrow as well. I know people have drawn comparison to early Poch in terms of wins etc. For me it’s miles apart from early Poch.

Last edited:
Won’t be to much good will. There’s been no signs of decent football 5/6 Games in . Think it will be negative tomorrow as well. I know people have drawn comparison to early Poch in terms of wins etc. For me it’s miles apart from early Poch.
The results weren't that great at the start under Poch but he at least was trying to implement a decent style of football.

Back