• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Would you agree the style against Wolves in the League was different compared to Wolves in the Cup?

I think Nuno’s been experimenting, and he’s figuring out what each guy is capable of. I just hope it leads somewhere good soon. I can’t really take feeling like we are back to the Sherwood / AVB days, as if the last 7 years never happened.
Yes up to a point.

We made some changes in player selection, and some changes to our approach (if I had to guess). Would have to rewatch both games to give a more informed opinion, and who has the time.

A lot of that change was down to Wolves making (I think) 10 changes and playing both a passive and poor game up until they got their first goal. After they got into the game, started pressing more, defended with more aggression, we looked more similar to the initial game imo.

Partly sone changes to our style (was good to see), but just as much the game conditions and our opposition doing things differently. So not that much of a change from us.

Don’t get me wrong, not saying he wasn't a very good football manager, just not one of the greats.
I don't remember him at st mirren but i did get to see his Aberdeen teams and they were similar to what his utd team turned into, hungry, quick and aggressive (in a good way sense) with a good blend of steel and style.
But for me he wasn't an innovative, new style manager who changed the game.

I reckon he was, he built 3 great teams at United, that won in different ways.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.
I wish we could get someone with his drive and will to succeed and that can instil it in others.

So I don't think Levy will sack Nuno until he has a replacement this time. Can you imagine the scenes if we went 3 months without a manager, we'd be bottom.

That's why I don't think he will get rid, unless we lose the next 3 to 4 or get a possible 2 points let's say out of the next 12.

It's not drastic yet, but how are Ajax doing???

I honestly don't think Fergie was a great football manager, but he was a fantastic man manager.
He knew how and when to treat players to mr nice guy and mr angry.
He was also excellent at knowing when to treat them as individuals and and as a group.
But he was very lucky to have the full support of the utd board, not many managers get to fall out with the likes of Beckham, keane, stam etc and not feel the heat.
It does help when you're winning of course.
I'd believe that being a good man manager is just an aspect of being a good football manager. It may not even be the most important one, it all depends upon what limits the club operates within. Few could argue that Fergie wasn't a great football manager, but he wasn't even the greatest within his own time frame. I'd wager that Wenger was a better manager when it came down to both tactics and strategy. He also had to identify players, build his team from single pieces and get them to play as a unit, while Fergie could pick and choose from a near ready-made and arguably the best youth group the world has ever seen. And they hadn't yet lost the respect necessary to form them as you want. I'm not saying that Ferguson couldn't and didn't buy well, far from it, but who knows how successful he would have been without the core of Y-92.

They both brought something "next-level" to the league, Fergie was a master of bullying - particulary the referees, and Wenger brought continental diving and cheating, which helped them both a LOT. Another thing they had in common was that they successfully saw the value in a great captain, and used the captaincy as a tool as opposed to a badge of honour of sorts.

good man manager is subjective.
mourinho? many good players back him. some players need to be broken before they can excel. others want to be treated that they are already excelling before they excel. matching player and team profile is important. Fergie and Wenger had full authority to ensure the best fit between players and manager. All the managers under Levy seem to have much less control over the squad transfers and therefore not fully responsible for the players being there.

So I don't think Levy will sack Nuno until he has a replacement this time. Can you imagine the scenes if we went 3 months without a manager, we'd be bottom.

That's why I don't think he will get rid, unless we lose the next 3 to 4 or get a possible 2 points let's say out of the next 12.

It's not drastic yet, but how are Ajax doing???

River Plate's last game of the season is 12 December. Just saying...

I think he should go, and Paratici too as he was the one who pushed for him.

It'll be 3 months on Friday since they got here, and 6 weeks playing games. How much time does one effing need. They've had an easy ride of it and they serve up this sh.it. I think if we put immense pressure on them it'll make their job even harder, hopefully breaking them. It'll be great to have a fresh start to replace the fresh start we had way back in July. He can give back that manager of the month award he picked up just 3 weeks ago as well. Fraud.

Last edited:

It'll be 3 months on Friday since they got here, and 6 weeks playing games. How much time does one effing need. They've had an easy ride of it and they serve up this sh.it. I think if we put immense pressure on them it'll make their job even harder, hopefully breaking them. It'll be great to have a fresh start to replace the fresh start we had way back in July. He can give that manager of the month award he picked up just 3 weeks ago as well. Fraud.
Touché

It'll be 3 months on Friday since they got here, and 6 weeks playing games. How much time does one effing need. They've had an easy ride of it and they serve up this sh.it. I think if we put immense pressure on them it'll make their job even harder, hopefully breaking them. It'll be great to have a fresh start to replace the fresh start we had way back in July. He can give that manager of the month award he picked up just 3 weeks ago as well. Fraud.

If you realise you are driving in the wrong direction, you don't double down on the accelerator.

No one even remembers Allardyce was England manager because the repair job was done so well.

Duncan Castle is usually not one to just spread empty rumours is he?

Makes sense, not that something will happen quickly, but looking at different options in case our form doesn't improve.

I think thats probably right. I dont believe Castle is someone who just writes c**p, and its logical that we should be thinking about the next man.

I just hope that we dont spend 3 months without a manager this time. Unless we can get someone like potential who, because of their age, could potentially be around for 5-10 years, I'd prefer to get someone like Favre - experienced, plays good football and available

Maybe the simple answer that Nuno has been trying to avoid is to drop certain senior players.
Hopefully its just Nuno and Paratici who are in charge of the decisions, not some invisible hand pulling strings.
The subs in the arsenal game made a big difference though by then the damage was done. Enough evidence to change things around and who knows the new players, young players and new coach could do a good job if given a chance. Kane - i think if there's a football game on and he would come on as well.

I'd believe that being a good man manager is just an aspect of being a good football manager. It may not even be the most important one, it all depends upon what limits the club operates within. Few could argue that Fergie wasn't a great football manager, but he wasn't even the greatest within his own time frame. I'd wager that Wenger was a better manager when it came down to both tactics and strategy. He also had to identify players, build his team from single pieces and get them to play as a unit, while Fergie could pick and choose from a near ready-made and arguably the best youth group the world has ever seen. And they hadn't yet lost the respect necessary to form them as you want. I'm not saying that Ferguson couldn't and didn't buy well, far from it, but who knows how successful he would have been without the core of Y-92.

They both brought something "next-level" to the league, Fergie was a master of bullying - particulary the referees, and Wenger brought continental diving and cheating, which helped them both a LOT. Another thing they had in common was that they successfully saw the value in a great captain, and used the captaincy as a tool as opposed to a badge of honour of sorts.

For me Fergie tinkles all over Wenger as a football manager. Even just little things like using players such as Darren Fletcher against Arsenal because he’s dirty and knew Arsenal couldn’t deal with any sort of physical play whatsoever. He also rebuilt teams many times over which Wenger struggled to do and saw off up and comers like Jose. Wenger was great at identifying top attacking players but picking defensive players and a GK was never his area of expertise, I don’t think Fergie had any similar weaknesses like that. Wenger got lucky getting Judas on a free but he inherited a great back four. All he needed to do was recruit the attacking players to compliment that unit which he did. I recall one of their players saying something along the lines of the coaching was never that in-depth and they largely got by because they were drilled within in an inch of their lives from a young age. I also think his subs left a lot to be desired. He would always sub Bergkamp and bring on Wiltord with 20 mins left, he was quite predictable in this area.

Maybe the simple answer that Nuno has been trying to avoid is to drop certain senior players.
Hopefully its just Nuno and Paratici who are in charge of the decisions, not some invisible hand pulling strings.
The subs in the arsenal game made a big difference though by then the damage was done. Enough evidence to change things around and who knows the new players, young players and new coach could do a good job if given a chance. Kane - i think if there's a football game on and he would come on as well.
You mean like when Poch made Kabouk and Ade vice captains
Then binned them off

I know I'm in the minority, but I'll never understand the obsession with Pochettino. It's like saying there's only one man in the world who can manage this club. Despite the abject football on display, I'm glad we went for Santo rather than signing him back because, at least, we're moving forward. All good things have to come to an end. I've thought long and hard about what makes it such an unappealing proposition for me and I think it goes way beyond football. It feels childish to me: one more ice cream, one more cartoon, one more season with my favourite manager...

To each, his own but I think what irks me with the calls for Pochettino to come back is that, somehow, I see it as being unable to accept your own mortality (big words, here!). Time passes. Things change. You can't live with your parents forever and, sometimes, your partner leaves for someone else. You move on, you learn, you adapt. Having him back would be the opposite of that. But, again, I realise my reluctance probably says a lot more about me than it does about Pochettino's ability as a manager!

I can’t right now think of another managerial sacking where the odds of it being the right decision were 50/50 at best, and where a heck of a lot of people were pretty firmly in the camp of it being the wrong decision, that the problems at the club ran way deeper than him.

I think that’s the reason for the obsession, he never should have been sacked. Most managers that get canned just move on and the club moves on, and it needed to happen. We were in such a unique situation with the stadium build and I don’t think everyone, from Levy to fans, fully appreciated how unique it was. We took the decision based on a traditional reading of the situation: results were sliding. And we put it on him when we never should have.

Enough people said firmly at the time that it was the wrong decision, so it can’t be hindsight. He took us to ridiculous heights, way beyond expectations given his budget. He deserves all the love he gets if you ask me.

I can’t right now think of another managerial sacking where the odds of it being the right decision were 50/50 at best, and where a heck of a lot of people were pretty firmly in the camp of it being the wrong decision, that the problems at the club ran way deeper than him.

I think that’s the reason for the obsession, he never should have been sacked. Most managers that get canned just move on and the club moves on, and it needed to happen. We were in such a unique situation with the stadium build and I don’t think everyone, from Levy to fans, fully appreciated how unique it was. We took the decision based on a traditional reading of the situation: results were sliding. And we put it on him when we never should have.

Enough people said firmly at the time that it was the wrong decision, so it can’t be hindsight. He took us to ridiculous heights, way beyond expectations given his budget. He deserves all the love he gets if you ask me.
I don't think we put it on him. (Well I didn't) He was a victim of circumstances, that I don't particularly blame anyone for. They existed and we had to work thru them. Unfortunately for Poch personally, he broke apart himself some what, and I think just from that POV he deserved a split (or break), I didn't want him to go BUT I never want to see a loved one drowning either.

Whilst I agree, there was a lot of fans who wanted him gone
He had lost the players
The board made a call that they thought was right even if others thought it wasn’t

Back