• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

It tells me he deals with the hand he has TBH
He didn’t buy the players there
He doenst here
As I’ve said before … I watched his Valencia team. They were the best attacking side in the league

I don't buy a view that a manager who is at a club for 4 years' isnt able to influence the sporting director to get the balance of squad he wants. Perhaps sometimes not the exact players, but I struggle to believe that if a manager says to a DoF that he wants more than 1 CF, the DoF would ignore him

I'll take your word re the valencia spell. Hopefully he goes back to that mentality - he's a good guy and would be great if he succeeds

I don't buy a view that a manager who is at a club for 4 years' isnt able to influence the sporting director to get the balance of squad he wants. Perhaps sometimes not the exact players, but I struggle to believe that if a manager says to a DoF that he wants more than 1 CF, the DoF would ignore him

I'll take your word re the valencia spell. Hopefully he goes back to that mentality - he's a good guy and would be great if he succeeds
4F020FD1-B747-426A-AD29-EE4C49280082.png
and Everton sites view on Nuno

and I agree he would have had influence. Would be mad not to have
He tried changing systems last season with them to a 4-3-3-1. That was brave and was them being more attacking. He then lost his only striker and they lost any attacking focus. He also regularly was without his beat wingers at varying times and they also sold a lad to Pool who had developed brilliantly under him

the guys got to start somewhere with us
Making us incredibly hard to beat is a great way to start. He could have gone full on Leeds and have us open to every attack but that would agave been madness considering he didn’t know if he even had a striker in his said until late august

every game to date needs to be framed with the context of the situation around it

city… no striker but a brilliant team effort.
Wolves… their first home game and return of Nuno. A hard fought win against a good side (really, really like the lad on loan from Barca)
Watford - return of Kane, but a routine win
Yesterday - failure. Missing so many player we still didn’t turn up. Not good

I don’t see how you can come to the ‘could’ve gone either way’? We barely launched a single attack. 0.08 XG…. That must be amongst the lowest ever for any PL team (and surely certainly the lowest ever for a team playing against Palace?).

If you accept Nuno’s strategy is to win the game in the second half, you can understand why yesterday could have gone either way.

I’m not for one second saying that we were good, but I am saying I bet we will have a lot of first halves this season where we look average, where we’re sizing up the other team and keeping them at arms length, and where we win it in the second half.

Yesterday, we just about did the first half plan. Wasn’t amazing, but we go in tied. Then at the point of the game we’re expected to try and push on, make things happen etc the sending off happens. When I say it was just a brick day at the office, that is why.

It’s the opposite of a team intending to blow into a 2-3 goal lead in the first half and rest in the second. If you run out of team after going so hard in the first half and don’t actually score enough, you may well get picked off in the second. The 7-2 vs Bayern being a really good, albeit extreme example (with lots else going on) of that.

That’s why I don’t think we can draw conclusions too harshly. I don’t think Nuno hates creativity, I don’t think he made a bad selection, I don’t think he necessarily could have done much differently yesterday, accepting him for who he is, and accepting all strategies are liable to succeed or fail based on events. It was a brick day at the office, we’ll have many more, but we’ll also have days where luck smiles on us.

And in the main we’ll win more than we lose.

Nah I’m talking reality
But do course we could be even worse next weekend
Then I’ll frame the conversation around that performance too
I mean I am talking actual facts are i
City had a better xG than us but it was from chances that didn’t even hit the target
The other games we have had better xgs even though others had more shots
Yesterday the XG was spot
They had an xG of 2.89 although weirdly over half of that was for Connor Gallagher and I only remember the Hugo save which was very saveable and one I’d expect any keeper to save
What the stats show so that despite teams taking shots we rarely concede a good chance so far under Nuno. That wasn’t the case under Jose.

It tells me he deals with the hand he has TBH
He didn’t buy the players there
He doenst here
As I’ve said before … I watched his Valencia team. They were the best attacking side in the league
Mate, you twist facts like there's no tomorrow!! There were 111 incoming transfers to wolves during Nuno's time there. Albeit the majority are reserve team/end of loans etc., but the majority of the current wolves team was assembled by Nuno!Screenshot_20210912-233506_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210912-233523_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210912-233539_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210912-233554_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210912-233621_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210912-233631_Chrome.jpg

I don’t see how you can come to the ‘could’ve gone either way’? We barely launched a single attack. 0.08 XG…. That must be amongst the lowest ever for any PL team (and surely certainly the lowest ever for a team playing against Palace?).

Because we have one of the best strikers in the world who only needs a half chance.
And for all that he was poop yesterday and obviously gives not a toss about us, he is chasing records. As he has been for a year.

@Kandi1977

Are Wolves not involved in some system whereby they only buy players represented by by a single agency, all handled by the DoF rather than the manager?

Mate, you twist facts like there's no tomorrow!! There were 111 incoming transfers to wolves during Nuno's time there. Albeit the majority are reserve team/end of loans etc., but the majority of the current wolves team was assembled by Nuno!View attachment 12704 View attachment 12705 View attachment 12706 View attachment 12707 View attachment 12708 View attachment 12709
You really don’t know how wolves are run with mendes providing the players? You cant honestly say you didn’t know?
I thought everyone knew
I mean they brought Silva for £40m ish and he had a release clause of £10m according to leaks from his old club
Wolves are a club for mendes (hose agency is part owned by the wolves owners) to lake players to sell on
It’s how they got plAyers in the championship that were miles better than that level
And it’s how they got players in like Neto, Trincao, semedo, podence, and manny many others they have or have sold
They don’t really have a sporting director as Mendes gives them the players to buy

below is a basic example of how it’s done there
http://sportwitness.co.uk/bruno-lag...ers-situation-transfer-continues-seem-likely/

You really don’t know how wolves are run with mendes providing the players? You cant honestly say you didn’t know?
I thought everyone knew
I mean they brought Silva for £40m ish and he had a release clause of £10m according to leaks from his old club
Wolves are a club for mendes (hose agency is part owned by the wolves owners) to lake players to sell on
It’s how they got plAyers in the championship that were miles better than that level
And it’s how they got players in like Neto, Trincao, semedo, podence, and manny many others they have or have sold
They don’t really have a sporting director as Mendes gives them the players to buy

below is a basic example of how it’s done there
http://sportwitness.co.uk/bruno-lag...ers-situation-transfer-continues-seem-likely/
The manager is part of the team that decides who to buy. Claiming that the manager has no say in transfers is just pure rubbish. He'll definitely be part of the decision team.
No manager in the world would accept having no say whatsoever in transfers.

First half bot a single shot and at half time he refuses to make a progressive chance even though he had Ndombele and Gil on the bench, shocking

Because we have one of the best strikers in the world who only needs a half chance.
And for all that he was poop yesterday and obviously gives not a toss about us, he is chasing records. As he has been for a year.

So we have one of the best striker in the world and the best way to use him is to give him no chances and hope that he wrangles something from thin air?

Sounds like a fantastic plan. [emoji58]

If you accept Nuno’s strategy is to win the game in the second half, you can understand why yesterday could have gone either way.

I’m not for one second saying that we were good, but I am saying I bet we will have a lot of first halves this season where we look average, where we’re sizing up the other team and keeping them at arms length, and where we win it in the second half.

A strategy whereby, against a lower half team, you plan to get to half time at 0-0 is fundamentally flawed. We should be looking to win those games however by reducing it to a 45 min match, we're reducing our chances of winning

As we discuss pre-Palace with Bedford in the Royal thread, I also favour a more dynamic game plan where we try to retain some possession. As you say, if you play most of the game in your half, you are exposing yourself to more chances to concede. But a red and a pen is less than a 1 in 10 occurrences. Without one of them I think we draw that. And without either, maybe just maybe we pull a few more chances to score out the hat as the game enters the final quarter.

Yes we need to find ways to control games more, but 9 times out of 10 we'd take a point from that game at least. There is method to the boredom, but the balance isn't quite right, we need to be a little more proactive, and try to impose our game on the opposition.
Without the red or pen we perhaps don't concede.

Sometimes teams will score a screamer, sometimes one of our excellent blocks will be a deflection and a goal, sometimes one of our defenders will fail to mark properly, sometimes our midfielders will fail to track a runner, sometimes someone will just produce something brilliant, sometimes we'll concede from one of those set pieces.

Those things will happen regardless of style of play of course. But us having to rely on defending well frequently while barely testing the opposition, hoping for a counter attack to fall our way will lead to a lot of frustrating games I think.

But us having to rely on defending well frequently while barely testing the opposition, hoping for a counter attack to fall our way will lead to a lot of frustrating games I think.

...and will mean that if he doesnt become more attacking, he'll fail at Spurs. Sitting back and primarily looking not to concede will lead to more draws. I hope he does evolve his taactics as I'd like him to succeed at Spurs

...and will mean that if he doesnt become more attacking, he'll fail at Spurs. Sitting back and primarily looking not to concede will lead to more draws. I hope he does evolve his taactics as I'd like him to succeed at Spurs
I think he will. I'm rather critical of the Palace game as I thought it was shocking.

I do worry a bit that we don't seem to find solutions when plan A doesn't work. We could have adjusted with the players already on the pitch against Palace, we could have not waited until the hour mark to make another sub.

I feel rather confident that we will improve though.

The manager is part of the team that decides who to buy. Claiming that the manager has no say in transfers is just pure rubbish. He'll definitely be part of the decision team.
No manager in the world would accept having no say whatsoever in transfers.
I’d agree in a normal club
That’s not a normal club set up
How many in world football have an agent buying their players

Back