• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Always liked the guy and don't think his football is anything like Jose's pukeball. Wolves' 3-1 dismantling of us at Wembley a few years ago was very very impressive.

I'd have been happy with him had we appointed him straight away. However, the brickshow that ensued has left me feeling underwhelmed and a bit apathetic.

That said, that's not Nuno's fault so I hope the fans will get behind him and give him a chance. I can see how this could turn into an inspired appointment like Poch was. I'm going in with that mindset.

I for one welcome our new bearded Portuguese overlord.

Positives: knows the league, well connected to Jorge Mendes, has better interpersonal skills than mourinho.

Negatives: far from first choice, well connected to Jorge Mendes, style is attritional rather than progressive and forward thinking.

I'm hoping he's a Poch not a Gross.

Welcome to Nuno. Let's hope everyone can get behind him, and those that can't (the #notonuno lot for a start) can at least keep their silence or keep away. We need a good crowd, no distractions (including the Levy/Enic out stuff), when the season starts.

I enjoyed watching Wolves when they came up to the PL, they were exciting, attacking and Nuno got a lot praise for the way they played. So there's no reason why he can't do similar with a better squad. I'm looking forward to having him onboard.

A decent appointment, let's give him our support.

I'm just slightly concerned about this quote from Levy;

"I believe Nuno is the man who can take our talented group of players, embrace our young players coming through and build something special."

This suggests he thinks the squad is good enough. Preparing us for a quiet window perhaps?
We have no money…. It’s why it seems the most important attribute for our new manager was that he would cost zero compensation.

Not an obvious choice, but I like it. We could do much, much worse that him I reckon. And a holy spirit nonetheless, the footballing gods have no excuse not to look after us anymore.

Likeable guy I think and a huge upgrade in terms of character compared to the vile individual which came before him.

More talk of using the academy in that interview though!! Hopefully we give him some backing in the market, even if net zero spend for a year or two!

I’m not averse to making more use of the academy. A bit of hunger is exactly what we need.

Positives: knows the league, well connected to Jorge Mendes, has better interpersonal skills than mourinho.

Negatives: far from first choice, well connected to Jorge Mendes, style is attritional rather than progressive and forward thinking.

I'm hoping he's a Poch not a Gross.

:D

A decent appointment, let's give him our support.

I'm just slightly concerned about this quote from Levy;

"I believe Nuno is the man who can take our talented group of players, embrace our young players coming through and build something special."

This suggests he thinks the squad is good enough. Preparing us for a quiet window perhaps?

I think you'll find he's referring to Dier and Winks.

It's not an inspiring choice on paper, especially considering the time it took but I do think we'd have likely done better these past 2 years had we appointed him when we dumped Poch tbh and he seems like the type to get his players playing for him, and one another and that's half the battle these days imo - down to Levy/Paratici now to work on providing him with the tools to work with.

Last edited:
Weird to say but I think that 10 seconds shows he has a lot of charisma. I think he'll be a fine appointment.

Players love and respect him. He's adaptable. He'll work within our constraints, and believes in his own ability in a way I'd want our manager to behave.

As long as we aren't playing on the counter every game he is fine by me.

Interview here:

Likeable guy I think and a huge upgrade in terms of character compared to the vile individual which came before him.

More talk of using the academy in that interview though!! Hopefully we give him some backing in the market, even if net zero spend for a year or two!

Always found him refreshing. Like his philosophies and charisma.

Also looking forward to us using the wide areas better. We have rarely worked the ball out wide to get in behind when attacking. We should under Nuno. We should see better coordination than we've had under both Poch and Mourinho who surprisingly didn't do much work on attacking shape and coordination. Nuno breaking down defense blocks in the Portuguese league is well versed at intricate attacking play and coordination. For 2 years I think he can get us playing. Can he go beyond that? Maybe not. Maybe he's a good shorter-term appointment who will have a more instant impact.

How do you think we will line up? Would be excited to see us play with 3 at the back, using Tobys passing range. Regulion and Doherty are suited to play wing-back. There are questions over Regultions defensive solidity so would suit him too. Doherty knows the system of course having done well under it at Wolves. Then you'd have two holding midfielders - Hojberg + Skipp. Sissoko would be a fine backup. Then you could have Ndombele in front of the two holding midfielders, maybe with a second forward - Son - to playoff Kane.

Weird to say but I think that 10 seconds shows he has a lot of charisma. I think he'll be a fine appointment.

Players love and respect him. He's adaptable. He'll work within our constraints, and believes in his own ability in a way I'd want our manager to behave.

As long as we aren't playing on the counter every game he is fine by me.

All very good points, in particular the comment on players and generally respectable individual

The idea that Levy is suddenly going to become beholden to Mendes is just bizarre. The shrewd man that almost everyone recognises as (and the masses criticise for) having a close hold on the minutiae of every single transfer in and out of the club is not only going to hand over responsibility to Paratici, but is going to sit back and watch dodgy deal after dodgy deal being agreed potentially to the detriment of club? That's not going to happen.

Closer to who i wanted than who I didn’t want, so that has to go down as a small victory.
Seems to be a likable fella so if we can get some excitement back on the pitch I'm happy.

Welcome Nuno, now go and make us proud!

He was a 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 guy at Wolves, though was meant to be moving to 4 at the back and I think he also played a back 4 in previous roles.

Either way, we need some new CBs!

Totally! The onus is on Paratici to shift players. Probably the hardest summer to get clubs spending. We have too many squad players that we need to turn into readies, and into improved players. But I don't think we will be able to sell m/any. With limited funds across the footballing world who's going to want our cast-offs?

I think was essentially describing a 3-5-2 setup with us. We would need better CBs who can play. Toby is a decent start, but he's not good for a whole season anymore. Sanchez, Dier, Rondon all seem slightly second-rate to me. Desperately hope Rondon proves me wrong. I think he'll make a decent CB, but we need better imo.

Back