1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Nuno Espírito Santo - Sacked

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by Denmark Spur, 30 Jun 2021.

1. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Jürgen Klinsmann

On the train now so not watching but watched first half in a pub and Villa were IMO the better side

2. Baleforce

Baleforce Robbie Keane

own goal, soft penalty, brick keeping, where all of our goals have come from this season

metalgear likes this.
  3. Bedfordspurs

City was great, but we have done that before dont forget
    Wolves away was IMO very good as we controlled them. They were kept at arms length and apart form the one chance never looked like scoring IMO
    I didn’t see Watford and only saw highlights. We looked like the much better side on those but as I say, it was highlights
    He has been here 12 weeks and improved our basics a lot IMO
    He will need and take time to fix the harder stuff
    The team that started the season will be very different come the end IMO
    I also think today some of the things that happens, that created knock one for next week will also mean opportunities
    Tanguy will play midweek and so will Gil. Both have a chance to stake a claim.
    Rodon will too
    Ben Davies will too but he is desperately In need of a move
    I expect a very different performance at him against Chelsea. I expect to see more energy as some of the key players won’t have been away on these silly internationals and more structure in the play again

metalgear likes this.
  4. Diamond Lights

Diamond Lights Neil Sullivan

Anyone writing Nuno off is a helmet tbh.

But can ask massive questions of the performance. He wasn't helped by the lead up to this game, pretty much the worst possible lead up, losing your two first choice wingers, CB pairing and subs also gone. So he was on bare bones.

However he HAS to be more offensive minded. I get Watford he didn't want to change the system or personnel, why change a winning formula etc, but we need to see more attacking football to teams we should be capable of beating.

Poor game, but literally anything that could have gone wrong went wrong this week and today (red card and handball? Brilliant).

Doesn't get easier next week so needs to improve asap

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Pirate55 and JerusalemMan like this.
  5. FolkestoneSpur

FolkestoneSpur Espen Baardsen

And this is why I've allowed myself to simmer down after todays brickahow before commenting.
    It was a shocking performance but realistically what could Nuno have done differently?
    -Maybe starting Rodon and playing Tanganga at right back and not throwing Emerson in at the deep end. Would have made no difference in attack though.

-Risking Ndombele? Would have been madness at any stage of the game.

-Starting Gil and dropping Dele into his new position and keeping a settled formation would probably have been the best way to go but that's hindsight and how many would have risked the kid before the match started?

We were fudged before a ball was kicked today but I do agree with many that so far Nuno has been far too negative but I'll reserve being too harsh until I've seen what we do when we've got a full compliment of players.
    I'm not massively optamistic but still think we can have a reasonable season but top 4? no chance.

6. Bedfordspurs

Lots would have started Gil and Tanguy. One player who has been here 4 weeks and one who doesn’t want to be. Says a lot TBH
    Gil IMO will be a real player and we will see that second half of the season when he has settled in and knows the players and the language
    Tanguy is more because we know he can play, but we also know he is a lazy fuxker who picks and chooses his work. That could work with 2 holders TBF but today wouldn’t be the game to throw him in conferring his “position” off the pitch
    Dele is still a conundrum for us to fix. Is he a CM or is he a WF. He isn’t a 10 for sure
    I believe Nuno will play more expansive when he has his team coached better. He isn’t a negative manager, well wasn’t before Wolves. His Valencia team were the most attacking in Spain when i watched them

metalgear and FolkestoneSpur like this.
  7. FolkestoneSpur

This is what I'm hoping.

metalgear likes this.
  8. Bedfordspurs

They were a bit bonkers
    Not great defensively but very good attack wise
    He needs time and players here to get the right balance
    I like him
    He doesn’t suffer fools
    And he highlights what’s gone wrong without blaming people
    It’s basic I know but it will work
    Whether that means we can punch above teams that spend a lot more than us remains to be seen though

metalgear and FolkestoneSpur like this.
  9. braineclipse

braineclipse Les Howe

I wouldn't have wanted us to start both, mainly because I didn't think we should start Ndombele so soon.

Gil has been here longer than Emerson. Started 26 games in La Liga last season, but can't be trusted as a wide forward against Crystal Palace?

Gil isn't some 17 year old from the academy. The alternative was Winks in a role he's not suited to. And moving Alli from a role he's started to thrive in. And a change of system.

I'm sure Nuno had his reasons. I'll continue to support him and be optimistic about the future. The results were that we could have played for hours and hours without scoring.

Pirate55, glasgowspur and elltrev like this.
  10. FolkestoneSpur

Hopefully Wolves was a case of an over adjusment from his Valencia days and we'll now get the happy medium.

metalgear likes this.
  11. Bedfordspurs

I think it was about goals
    Gil is t know for scoring them, and dele is
    Beyond son and Kane we lack that 10 goal or more player and dele has done that before
    Issue of course is that someone if CM needs to instigate attacks

12. Bedfordspurs

Or playing a system to suit the squad he had
    I mean we don’t have a load of attacking Cms in the squad currently so maybe he is adapting until he does here

FolkestoneSpur and Baleforce like this.
  13. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Nayim

Although we were abject and similar issues that we had under Mourinho persist, 9 times out of 10 we’d get at least a point from Palace away playing that setup. With a patched up side you can see why we were simply trying not to lose. Moss was the wild card but we offered very little.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

14. DubSpur

DubSpur Didier Zokora

A 4231 suits the squad. We've two good defensive midfielders in PEH and Skipp. At least one decent attacking FBs in Serge, RB there's a question mark over.
    Dele/Son, Gil, Moura is potentially a decent three behind Kane. I don't see how 433 suits this squad unless Ndembele and Lo Celso come good.

15. Bedfordspurs

Serge? The guy we binned on a free
    None of these players are an 8/10 currently
    Lo Celso and Tanguy could be
    Gil…. Possibly. Lads got a lot of talent
    I don’t like 4-3-3 myself but I think he is dealing with the hand he has

16. DubSpur

DubSpur Didier Zokora

Meant Sergio, not Serge. And in the 433 today who is 8/10?
    I've more faith in Gil being an 8/10 than Winks, hell I've more hope of Gil being an 8/10 than Winks being a 6/10.
    That was the only change that needed to be made today to play a 4231.

17. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Me too but he has got to seriously change his mindset. Three goals in four games is not the football I want to watch.

djp82 and DubSpur like this.
  18. Mooresinho

Mooresinho Michael Brown

We're fudged!

19. djp82

djp82 Young-Pyo Lee

Only 1 from open play.Pretty worrying

Pirate55 likes this.
  20. AdamB

AdamB Tommy Harmer

...and this is where Nuno's problem will come if he doesnt get results. I hope he succeeds as he seems a decent guy, but he fans will only accept defensive football if he gets results. From here til the end of the year though, I hope fans stay patient and we judge progress in 2022

metalgear likes this.