• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

I don't know that any one stadium rates as 'most famous' anymore. There's just too many really good stadiums and arenas out there that offer fans memorable experiences nowadays.

So what should we be praising as a great stadium?

Having professionally prowled the belly of the beast in a number of venues mentioned above, my choice for most incredible, iconic stadium isn't mentioned. No, it's not the most famous stadium. But it should be for the exhilarating, heart-pounding experience it can offer.

It's Valencia's Mestalla. It's pitch is tightly enclosed by the most incredibly steep stands I've ever seen in a stadium. Like luge runs, that soar high above. About 55,000 capacity and not a bad seat in the house.

When Spain know they absolutely have to have a result to qualify for a major event, this has long been their go-to choice of venue. It is no one's 'theatre of dreams' nor is it a place young boys dreamed about when they fantasized about playing for a world famous club.

But it is the most intimidating cauldron when filled to capacity and in full voice. The place can absolutely heave with emotion.

In Germany, the equivalent is Dortmund's Westfalen Stadion, where Spurs will soon play - and have advanced from last year - spurred on by the immense Yellow Wall.

Beyond that, the most difficult venue I can imagine playing in is Mexico City's Azetca stadium, a famous and iconic venue. Like the others mentioned, I've been there.

It's huge, it's absolutely seething on it's day and it's at altitude, meaning your lungs will be burning with the merest exertion. And that's just going to the loo before half time.

I hate to say this, but since Wembley became some sort of over-budget Disney theme park, it really is fcuk all in the minds of people outside of England. It is not the slightest bit intimidating nor does it offer fans a great match day experience. To most visiting sides, it's a dangerous as a duvet.

The only people who really rate it are FA and UEFA accountants.

Last edited:
I don't know that any one stadium rates as 'most famous' anymore. There's just too many really good stadiums and arenas out there that offer fans memorable experiences nowadays.

Having professionally prowled the belly of the beast in a number of venues mentioned above, my choice for most incredible, iconic stadium isn't mentioned. No, it's not the most famous stadium. But it should be for the exhilarating, heart-pounding experience it can offer.

It's Valencia's Mestalla. It's pitch is tightly enclosed by the most incredibly steep stands I've ever seen in a stadium. Like luge runs, that soar high above. About 55,000 capacity and not a bad seat in the house.

When Spain know they absolutely have to have a result to qualify for a major event, this has long been their go-to choice of venue. It is no one's 'theatre of dreams' nor is it a place young boys dreamed about when they fantasized about playing for a world famous club.

But it is the most intimidating cauldron when filled to capacity and in full voice. The place can absolutely heave with emotion.

In Germany, the equivalent is Dortmund's Westfalen Stadion, where Spurs will soon play - and have advanced from last year - spurred on by the immense Yellow Wall.

Beyond that, the most difficult venue I can imagine playing in is Mexico City's Azetca stadium, a famous and iconic venue. Like the others mentioned, I've been there.

It's huge, it's absolutely seething on it's day and it's at altitude, meaning your lungs will be burning with the merest exertion. And that's just going to the loo before half time.

I hate to say this, but since Wembley became some sort of over-budget Disney theme park, it really is fcuk all in the minds of people outside of England. It is not the slightest bit intimidating nor does it offer fans a great match day experience. To most visiting sides, it's a dangerous as a duvet.

Good post mate. I never went to the old Wembley but the new one is really disappointing. You could be mistaken for thinking you're at a cinema in the concourse and outside is completely void of anything exciting.

Don't think anyone is arguing Wembley is a particularly great stadium, just one of the most well known.

Haven't been to the Mestella myself but is one I'd love to visit as it looks fantastic from the photos I've seen, unique too - hopefully we draw them in Europe before they ever complete the new one.

I think Wembley is already of its time, like the Emirates. The focus was more on the comfort and outside appearance rather than the atmosphere or originality (no one at the game gives a brick what colour the arch is!)

For once in our recent history we might have had some good fortune - in that the delay we’ve had in getting our project off the ground has meant Levy had had a lot of time to think and tweak the design to ensure that the atmosphere of an older football ground is retained, with the benefits of the latest technology to enhance to the current customer experience (street food, multi use pitch, fast pour well priced alcohol). If we can have a similar gain in the toilet and entrance and exit queues and the public transport capacity is increased accordingly even better!

I’d like it if we went back to England playing at different club grounds with perhaps the new WHL becoming the go to ground when we need a result like the Mestella!

I think many on here underestimate how well known English football is abroad. The Premier League is actually the most well thought of British brand outside the UK. Hundreds of millions of people follow the matches around the world, and it has a bigger following than any other football league in the world. Hence, it is highly probable that the most well known or famous stadiums are in fact English.

Whether the most well known would be Wembley, Old Trafford or Anfield is difficult to say (it is tempting to add WHL or Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to this list, but, sorry, get real). But Wembley is definitely up there, even if it is not usually used for Premier League football. Who doesn't think of iconic moments like the 1966 World Cup final or Live Aid and associate it with Wembley Stadium? And even though the stature and prestige of the FA cup has diminished in recent years, it is still home to the final of the world's oldest football tournament.

I think many on here underestimate how well known English football is abroad. The Premier League is actually the most well thought of British brand outside the UK. Hundreds of millions of people follow the matches around the world, and it has a bigger following than any other football league in the world. Hence, it is highly probable that the most well known or famous stadiums are in fact English.

Whether the most well known would be Wembley, Old Trafford or Anfield is difficult to say (it is tempting to add WHL or Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to this list, but, sorry, get real). But Wembley is definitely up there, even if it is not usually used for Premier League football. Who doesn't think of iconic moments like the 1966 World Cup final or Live Aid and associate it with Wembley Stadium? And even though the stature and prestige of the FA cup has diminished in recent years, it is still home to the final of the world's oldest football tournament.
It also has a game named after it...

That’s a fair point, but Wembley hasn’t been used for regular football until we showed up 18 months ago.

Before that it had only hosted 2 important international games and a few European Cup finals.

Back