1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Northumberland Development Project - Open For Business

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 12 Feb 2013.

1. We are Tottenham

We are Tottenham Pascal Chimbonda

Its strange to think the Worlds most famous stadium not quite good enough for us!

2. CanberraSpur

CanberraSpur David Kerslake

Although it isn't really the world's most famous, is it? Only English people think so.

3. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Teemu Tainio

Spiritual home of football, kind of suggests its more of a big deal than most stadiums.

4. Robbo

Robbo Paul Stalteri

They tore that spiritual home down years ago.

Gutter Boy and galeforce like this.
  5. galeforce

galeforce Vic Buckingham

and that was a brickhole anyway

6. bjholmem

bjholmem Jamie Redknapp

Name a stadium more famous than Wembley, please?

7. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Ruel Fox

El Monumental? Camp Nou? Bernabeu? Maracana? White Hart Lane?

DaygoSpur and galeforce like this.
  8. MKSpur

MKSpur Eidur Gudjohnsen

Even when I’d been for cup games (semis, finals) whilst it retained a sense of occasion but was never a comparable spectator experience to the Lane. Even sitting with different people in a one off game had an impac but also the distance from the pitch, being held whilst waiting for the tube, the windy confourse and over priced beer and food.

It’s not been too big a price to pay for what I hope the new stadium brings both in experience and resources to strengthen the team over the long term but it’s not just the new Wembley isn’t a particularly good football stadium, it’s not ‘our’ stadium.

With hindsight I would have liked it if they had allocated more seats in blocks as they were in WHl and had a general sale / newbies section and this season an increased number of loyalty points for those that have attended games rather than take the refund. I have to say considering the lack of uncertainty about how long we are going to be there and the dwindling atmosphere the team have done a great job with the results we’ve had over the last two years. Bodes well for our home form with a new stadium boost behind it.

In terms of heritage, notwithstanding the new stadium itself, I think it lost something when they started playing cup semi finals there, then Goons for CL and now us. They were trying to flog it to a NFL owner not that long ago so I guess like most things that were seen as sacred, like the name of a ground, the colour of a shirt it all has a price.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2019
  9. galeforce

galeforce Vic Buckingham

La Bombonera
    San Siro
    San Memes
    Old Trafford

nayenezgani likes this.
  10. CanberraSpur

CanberraSpur David Kerslake

All of the above, plus MSG, MCG, Fenway, Yankee Stadium, The Azteca.....

11. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Dimitar Berbatov

Not where I've been in the world

Ive been to a lot of stadiums and I've travelled a lot (although never to south america or Oceana) and I cannot tell you without looking up where the La Bombonera or San Memes is

Ive heard a LOT of foreign people mention Wembley along with Anfield more than any other

Not Camp is occasionally mentioned by soonish speakers but the Bernabeau is normally called Madrids stadium...

Maracana though is right up there

12. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Yeah - Maracana and Wembley are the two in a class of their own. The home of football and the world's biggest

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  13. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Jonathan Woodgate

I would say that thats evolved now though. It was famous because of the twin towers and the fact you only played their and experienced the stadium if you was a cup finalist, now its like a car park and we play their every week, its lost a HUGE level of that mystic in my opinion.

Its far from being the best football stadium as well, its cold and souless.

Jon, Robbo and Gutter Boy like this.
  14. billyiddo

billyiddo Paul Stewart Staff Member

American stadiums arent known world wide like Wembley is.

15. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Dimitar Berbatov

Neither are Australian cricket grounds...

Doesn’t mean their not amazing stadiums but their not places that are known

Twickenham is an awesome stadium.. it’s not really known outside of rugby though

Robbo and billyiddo like this.
  16. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Les Ferdinand

I dont think American Sport is that well known outside of America.

Sure, Sky show the super bowl now and people tune in, but outside isolated pockets I dont think American sports are consumed outside of America (and Canada?) in a big way at all.

Ive heard of some of those stadiums, but I couldnt even say which sport they belong to without checking!

Robbo, Gutter Boy and Bedfordspurs like this.
  17. billyiddo

billyiddo Paul Stewart Staff Member

There are a few countries that follow individual american sports - ice hockey in Russia and Latvia, Baseball in Venezuela and Japan but mostly you're right that american sports aren't widely followed outside of The States (afaia)

18. SubZero

SubZero Øyvind Leonhardsen

I think that Wembley has to be in the top three of famous stadium worldwide. Wembley is known for hosting other public spectacles, whereas purpose-built stadiums like Old Trafford are only known for football and diving. Amongst football fans however, there are arguably more "famous" or well-known arenas. Anfield, Olympiastadion and San Siro, at least for semi-old farts like me. I doubt that many non-football fans outside their respective countries can name stadiums like Bernabéu, Bombonera or even the Maracanã. Hell, for being publicly known you could even argue that Hillsborough and Heysel are more "famous" than those, at least for those with a functioning memory. Good points on the above mentioned cross-overs like Yankee Stadium, who was featured prominently on shows like Seinfeld. I've also heard Wrigley Field mentioned in more movies than I can recall. For boxing fans, Madison Square Garden has to be the most famous. For the younger generation, who knows.

That said, I really would like for us to incorporate White Hart Lane in some capacity at the new stadium. For all the British' aptitude for naming things something cool, many of your football stadiums have sort of, well, less than common names. Like Potato Field, Cowshed Stadium, The Outhouse, The Pigs' Pen, Highbury and such. White Hart Lane on the other hand, is a name that expresses something elegant, something genuinely British, royal almost. I can quite objectively say that it's the most beautiful name for a stadium anywhere. Every stadium loses some of it's soul when the corporization of the sport goes too deep. Who the hell can love an Emirates, JJB or Duncan's Radio Repair Stadium? I know that it's a business, but I don't have to have it rammed down my throat. At least the Americans call it what it has become, a franchise.

glasgowspur likes this.
  19. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Ruel Fox

Madison Square Garden would arguably be more widely known than Wembley.

galeforce likes this.
  20. galeforce

galeforce Vic Buckingham

milton keynes bowl