• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Licence To Stand

Basically, I don't think the wiring was the only thing not allowing us to play Liverpool. And on the surface i'd be fine with that....however the lack of transfer activity in the summer makes me think there is more going on, because as i said that was inexplicable.

Ermm....

the lack of transfer activity isn't inexplicable. Potential (probable?) reasons for it have been posted/written/spoken about in countless places since before the window ended. It just seems that you have decided to at best ignore them and at worst consider them lies, or worse, part of a bigger conspiracy.

Questioning what we are told is not a bad trait at all but you have to temper it with the ability to actually listen to and process the other side of the coin. If you (not you specifically, you understand..) can't or won't take that information on board then to my ears and eyes your points veer close to being conspiracy theories and IMV lose a boatload of credibility.

Just my two cents.

From what I understand for what its worth the club were extremely ambitious with its plans to open before the start of the season, being proven now with the delays which are not just electrical or safety. I know thats a stating the obvious but what the opening date of start of the season was going to offer no wiggle room on delays, its not like with all the best will in the world it was gonna be finished a month before that date, it was gonna be right to the line without delays.

What has been less than great is the PR side, not exactly been smooth but then again PR is always subjective, some love what the club come out with, others won't thats part and parcel of big company PR.

What I have been told though is that the club knew the delay was coming when they took for season ticket money etc because it gave them a safety net in terms of attendance at Wembley, refunding the difference on tickets which gave the club more confidence on filling Wembley than if they said before hand it would not be ready, no money being paid and season ticket holders deciding to not go to Wembley for the whole season

Obviously I don’t know your source or how much insight they have. My response is based on what has been made public and a certain amount of what seems logical.
I think everyone would agree that the timetable was ambitious (although the plan was not to open before start of the season as you say but rather a month into the season). It seems feasible that we could have opened if we had the safety sign off. Works to complete the roof and key areas would have been expedited. The outside areas would have been manageable by hoarding off certain areas and routing fans through designated areas, as we did for the last season at WHL. I think there may have been issues with some corporate areas/boxes being ready and that would have had to be managed directly between corporate customers and the club.
But I can’t believe, by any stretch, that the club took money for season tickets knowing the stadium would not be open. That would be outright fraud from a trading standards perspective and would come with far, far too much risk of someone blabbing. There is no way the club would risk such a thing.
Fans might have issues with Levy in terms of keeping tight purse strings etc., but to think he would take such a dishonest approach, to actually deliberately steal from his customers when the ST money, although not insignificant is relatively small fry in the grand scheme of things, is conspiracy theory gone mad imo.

They started testing the external screen with the diagonal edge tonight. That thing is very bright. Outrageous.

image.php

Last edited:
Who told you that information? Because that information would only be likely known by directors at the club.
If that was the case, why have they managed to make such a mess of the refund process, with the money not arriving by time you have to repurchase tickets
If that was the case, why did they offer a refund to ST holders for tickets, the T&C of my ST dont mention a stadium so we had no right of return
If that was the case that the other things you mentioned stopped the opening, why was the public space, cladding and most exterior works planned for next year anyway
If that was the case, why havent Mace, not made public comment about the delays
If that was the case, why did spurs suddenly attempt to employ electricians at the same time as the supposed safety issues
If that was the case and ticketing head knew, why did he sanction completely left field a poster about the champions league at WHL
If that was the case, did you visit the last season of WHL, you realise it was a building site in places but H&S allowed games
If that was the case regarding the Public Space, then are we delaying the stadium until the flats and hotel are built

I dont like the comms from the club, I am a ST holder, I dont get why people can't look at all the facts and come to a sensible choice.

Well. One arrives to find the forum filled with flaming pitchforks. Not that that's a bad thing. My first thought reading this reply was:

My next thought was to recall the point I brought up a while back on the Wembley thread:

Maybe Levy has been a crafty bugger all along, knowing it would take this much longer than one season to build. But if he told the PL that up front, they might have insisted on a second season at Wembley and the new house, and all its lovely expanded revenue streams, would remain shut until next summer.

By getting them to think it would be a Sept. opening and then being able to blame the delay on screw ups or sabotage or supply chain interruptions, he was able to wangle this very flexible extension (ooh, matron) after not meeting the second anticipated opening date.

Now, by all accounts, the stadium is looking likelier than ever to open in January (
ed. now February) and the league has been 'Levy-ed' into a compromise they never would have granted up front. Spurs will enjoy the benefit of playing extra second half fixtures in their spectacular new home to a roaring, adoring audience, belching craft beer burps and farting fragrant fromage-fumed fucque you's to all the critics.

And our Danny Boy will be pink with pleasure totting up the sums.

Facial cosmetics (installation of windows and roofing work), fabrication work, public areas not finished to name a couple.

Alot of work is still not finished and the public areas and hospitality areas are still being finished now. Its November 13th now I accept after the club announced the dates were not going to work that work slowed and rightly so but as I say the original date was always ambitious
A lot of the stuff being finished now, was not supposed to be finished by the 15th September. It was only meant to be operational at that date, not finished. The outer veil was supposed to be completed next summer.

@greatwhitenorf

Its a great story - But why would Mace agree to that and why would they openly come out and say it was due to safety issues

And I'd have thought the contractor(s) responsible for the safety systems might have something to say about being spacegoated if ''safety issues' was just being used as an excuse to pull the wool over the PL's eyes and hide the fact that the stadium was never going to be ready for September.

And I'd have thought the contractor(s) responsible for the safety systems might have something to say about being spacegoated if ''safety issues' was just being used as an excuse to pull the wool over the PL's eyes and hide the fact that the stadium was never going to be ready for September.
Yea it’s getting ridiculous, people are tying themselves in knots to try and either look for ever more outlandish conspiracy theories, or be proved right that their predictions it wouldn’t be ready are correct, despite not once mentioning the actual reason for the delay (wiring on the safety systems).

Excellent use of the word 'spacegoated'. Whatever it actually means.

Yea it’s getting ridiculous, people are tying themselves in knots to try and either look for ever more outlandish conspiracy theories, or be proved right that their predictions it wouldn’t be ready are correct, despite not once mentioning the actual reason for the delay (wiring on the safety systems).

I'm well established in past comments about not giving a flying fucque about when Spurs move in, so prediction and theory snipes are well wide.

Having worked on the PR/communications side of a handful major league stadium/arena openings in the core of major cities in Norfa Merica, my insight into those projects was that it was imperative to get into the new barn at the earliest possible juncture. Fan comfort, architectural optics, player considerations, incomplete transport infrastructure issues were all deemed secondary and surmountable.

It was all about money. Starting the flow of new revenue streams which massively topped what was generated in the old quarters. I heard all sorts of bullschitt and bafflegab about what would happen and when and who needed to what job in which particular time frame and who was gonna sue the ass off who.

All that mattered was getting the money taps turned on. Such is the case with Mega Lane(tm). Look at the ticket sales circumstances this year.

A useful expression conveyed to me once went like this: 'You can't move the furniture around until you get into the house.'

How that applies to this situation is that Levy has gotten into the house by getting the PL to accept that the stadium would be usable before it actually would be. Or could be. Now, he gets to move the furniture around because they're playing ball with him over how many stadiums a club can play in during one season and not forcing Spurs to stay at Wembley. He's got the circumstances set so that Spurs open the new stadium sometime this season - with extra home games in hand - and begin earning the extra revenue it generates much earlier than if it opened next season.

Last edited:
Back