• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Non-Home Grown Players

Charlie

Radek Cerny
The Premier League rule is that clubs cannot name more than 17 non-home grown players aged over 21 in the squad. Currently, we have

Gomes
Kaboul
Vertonghen
Paulinho
Soldado
Adebayor
Holtby
Capoue
Dembele
Chadli
Friedel
Lloris
Falque
Sandro
Assou-Ekotto

Total = 15

So, we can at most buy 2 more non-home grown players unless we sell some of these players (Falque, Adebayor, BAE) or not name some in the PL squad (Falque or the Croatian/other youngsters that we may buy) then we can add more than 2.

The Premier League rule is that clubs cannot name more than 17 non-home grown players aged over 21 in the squad. Currently, we have

Gomes
Kaboul
Vertonghen
Paulinho
Soldado
Adebayor
Holtby
Capoue
Dembele
Chadli
Friedel
Lloris
Falque
Sandro
Assou-Ekotto

Total = 15

So, we can at most buy 2 more non-home grown players unless we sell some of these players (Falque, Adebayor, BAE) or not name some in the PL squad (Falque or the Croatian/other youngsters that we may buy) then we can add more than 2.

We can buy any number of players who are under the age of 21.

Plus if they're under 18 they'll become home grown in the future anyway.

Gomes
Kaboul
Vertonghen
Paulinho
Soldado
Adebayor
Holtby
Capoue
Dembele
Chadli
Friedel
Lloris
Falque
Sandro
Assou-Ekotto

Total = 15

I'll be very surprised if Gomes is still here when the window closes. I don't think he's at the stage in his career when he's happy to be the third goalkeeper at a club. All the signs are that Adebayor will be staying but Assou-Ekotto is on his way out the door. So that would bring the total down to 13. Meaning we could still sign and register another four non-homegrown players if we wanted (though I doubt we will unless Bale goes).

I'll be very surprised if Gomes is still here when the window closes. I don't think he's at the stage in his career when he's happy to be the third goalkeeper at a club. All the signs are that Adebayor will be staying but Assou-Ekotto is on his way out the door. So that would bring the total down to 13. Meaning we could still sign and register another four non-homegrown players if we wanted (though I doubt we will unless Bale goes).

I have a feeling that Ade was probably in the firing line too but his personal situation has meant that the club has backed off.

Avb said at the weekend that you need 3 keepers so unless we have a keeper lined up to come in then he'll be staying

I have a feeling that Ade was probably in the firing line too but his personal situation has meant that the club has backed off.
I think we'd sell him if we could, but I don't think we'll find a club who is (a) willing to pick up his wages, and (b) somewhere he's willing to go.

I'm deeply ambivalent about the guy. If he recaptured his form of two years ago, I'd love him to stay. But if he plays like he did last year, then he's just not good enough to be challenging for the top spots (in my view). And because we don't know which Adebayor will show up this season, I can see us wanting to replace him as an exercise in risk reduction if nothing else. I'd prefer some young hungry striker with bags of potential who will put everything into every minute he gets on the field. Or even someone like Defoe who knows he needs to impress more than ever this year... Brazil 2014 will be his last chance at a major international competition; Defoe may not capture his best form this season, but it won't be for want of trying.

Avb said at the weekend that you need 3 keepers so unless we have a keeper lined up to come in then he'll be staying

I agree we need 3 keepers. But Gomes has made it very clear that he wants game time this season. Like Defoe's England ambitions, Gomes still hasn't given up hope of clinching that third goalkeeper spot in the Brazil squad for their home World Cup next year. No way in hell is he accepting 3rd position at Spurs this year of all years.

Well, that's my take. Either we bring in a new goalkeeper (a younger player who can benefit from training with Friedel) or we think Archer is ready to take a step up. Either way; yes we need a third goalie. No, I can't see it being Gomes.

Not an issue at this point.

Ekotto will leave if we sign another left back, Ade might go, we won't let Falque stop us from signing a player we need and u21 players won't have to be registered.

Slightly different rules in the EL where some u21 players have to be registered, so we might not get everyone into the EL squad, but not a big deal.

Home grown rules might start having a more serious impact on our transfer business 1-2 years from now if we continue preferring non-British players. Hopefully we'll be able to produce some quality youngsters that can make the step up...

Home grown rules might start having a more serious impact on our transfer business 1-2 years from now if we continue preferring non-British players. Hopefully we'll be able to produce some quality youngsters that can make the step up...

Same applies to all teams. There's a real gap in talented British kids. No NextGen this season either, it is taking a 1 season break because they couldn't secure definite funding for the tournament. A real shame.

Gomes
Kaboul
Vertonghen
Paulinho
Soldado
Adebayor
Holtby
Capoue
Dembele
Chadli
Friedel
Lloris
Falque
Sandro
Assou-Ekotto

Total = 15

I think this is the reason that BAE is being frozen out. I think we will get another 4 in and BAE and another need to get out of town.

Same applies to all teams. There's a real gap in talented British kids. No NextGen this season either, it is taking a 1 season break because they couldn't secure definite funding for the tournament. A real shame.

For sure, for most teams anyway. I wasn't trying to say that this was a problem unique to ourselves.

I think this is the reason that BAE is being frozen out. I think we will get another 4 in and BAE and another need to get out of town.

Might be part of it, but I think his age and potential value in the market are more important factors.

If we sign a new first choice left back it makes a lot more sense to sell our old first choice and keep young Rose as a backup/option there.

For sure, for most teams anyway. I wasn't trying to say that this was a problem unique to ourselves.

Might be part of it, but I think his age and potential value in the market are more important factors.

If we sign a new first choice left back it makes a lot more sense to sell our old first choice and keep young Rose as a backup/option there.

Rose won't stay as back up. This is World Cup year. Back up will be Fryers, maybe Naughton.

Neither is likely IMO. Rose will ask for a transfer and even if BAE stays he is unlikely to be in the 25.

My point is just that if we sign a new first choice left back then selling Ekotto makes a lot of sense from a financial perspective, a footballing perspective and from a squad happiness perspective. It also makes sense from a home-grown perspective, but I think that's of less importance than the others since we might still end up selling Ade and we could have dropped Falque from the 25 man squad if we ended up with one too many.

Everything is possible. But what is certain is BAE is no longer in our plans and what is likely is Rose will not stay as a back up.

Gomes
Kaboul
Vertonghen
Paulinho
Soldao
Adebayor
Holtby
Capoue
Dembele
Chadli
Friedel
Lloris
Sandro
Assou-Ekotto
Chiriches (expected)

Total = 15

Lamela (not over 21), and
Eriksen (not over 21) (expected)

Do not count. We can only sign two non-home grown players more over 21 if we don't move anyone else.

For the Europa League squad, the rule is minimum 8 home grown players in the 25 player squad. Unlimited players not over 21 and they do not count towards home grown/non home grown status.

Walker
Naughton
Dawson
Rose
Lennon
Townsend
Sig
Defoe

Total = 8 (bare minimum)

If needed, we can explicitly register the following U21 players to make up the number.

Carroll
Fryers

For the EL the u21 players must have been with the club for an uninterupted period of 2 years (can have been at the club for that, then out on loan, then returned and be eligible). So Lamela (if signed), Eriksen (if signed) and Fryers won't be eligible for the B-list and must thus be registered as part of the 25 man A-list squad if they are to take part.

In addition to that the EL has the additional "club trained player" regulations. 4 of the 8 home grown players must have been trained at the club.

Regulations: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/01/62/69/60/1626960_DOWNLOAD.pdf (pdf)

A “club-trained player” is a player who, between the age of 15 (or the start of the season during which he turns 15) and 21 (or the end of the season during which he turns 21), and irrespective of his nationality and age, has been registered with his current club for a period, continuous or not, of three entire
seasons (i.e. a period starting with the first official match of the relevant national championship and ending with the la st official match of that relevant national championship) or of 36 months.

I'm not entirely confident about this, but I think if a player goes out on loan that period doesn't count towards them being trained at the club. Would be great if someone can either correct me or say that I'm right here.

I'm quite sure Lennon and Townsend both qualify. Not sure about Rose. I don't think we have any others that qualify, but once against I could be wrong.

I think we might have to leave someone out of the EL squad, but I suppose we'll know soon enough.

Back