1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

No Saggy-face thread?!?

Discussion in 'General Football' started by AdamB, 3 Feb 2015.

1. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Frederic Kanoute

2. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Gerry Armstrong

Out of those you attribute 3 to bottle so the rest we were beaten by better teams. In the 2-1 against Man United I would say that was a coin toss, game of two halves.

Anyway I still maintain that for the time Nev was playing and all this bottle or soft underbelly is over stated, you could not compare the Spurs teams of the 90s and early 00s to our teams of the 60s so its not like we had great players/teams and rolled over, we were and I maintain this, middle of the road clap trap at times.

Its easy to have a pop at a team like Spurs and talk about the history and compare it like we have comparative sides but in alot of those you mention we were underdogs.

3. MKSpur

MKSpur Andy Sinton

Or despite having Bale dragging us to 5th in AvB’s first season, the longer he exerted his influence the more flawed his tactical approach for this league became. I can accept they had different styles but blaming Redknapp for AVB’s second season yet discredit him for the first doesn’t make sense to me.

If I’m being polite it was always going to be difficult for the manager following Redknapp because he’d recorded two top four finishes and a CL QF in between, it’s much easier to take on a team under achieving and get the time to improve them. Usually that’s what happens but Redknapp wasn’t sacked because of his results.

DTA likes this.
  4. milo

milo Vivian Woodward Staff Member

That's going to be a tough commute from Sandbanks

Glenda's Legs and Seedy Ron like this.
  5. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Simon Davies

Maybe Kevin Bond can help with the driving.

milo likes this.
  6. galeforce

galeforce Tony Galvin

7. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL John Lacy

8. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Andy Thompson

I can't believe there is anyone left who actually rates AVB based on his time at Spurs or thinks he's a top manager. I just put it down to some people are impressed by words rather than actions or results. If you were judging him by results then he achieved a par score in his only full season. 5th place and 72 points? Decent but hardly earth shattering. Can anyone honestly say there were 5 better teams than us in the league that season? Not to mention that the famed tactician had no tricks up his sleeve other than 'give the ball to Bale'.

As for Redknapp, he's a short term manager who gets teams out of trouble when they are down the bottom. The fact that Levy hired him just shows how dire a position we were in and there's no question Levy would have recognsied we were in relegation battle otherwise he wouldn't have appointed him. He was probably only bought in the view to get us safe and then bring someone else in for the start of 09/10. He did better than most expected so Levy had no choice but to persist. We all know what happened after that but it's safe to say he would have said or done something sack worthy eventually, even without all the England nonsense that was incredibly unproffesional.

More than anything I'm glad Poch is our manager now as both of the above struggled to break down the smaller clubs, especially at home whereas our record against promoted sides for example under Poch is very impressive. We don't often lose silly home games anymore like we did under Redknapp and to a lesser extent AVB.

SteveAWOL, glasgowspur and MKSpur like this.
  9. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Frederic Kanoute

10. scaramanga

scaramanga Tommy Harmer Staff Member

parklane1 and thfcsteff like this.
  11. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

D'ont they just, i wonder if all his mates in the press will ask him to write a book about his time in the jungle.

12. Jon

Jon Jermaine Jenas

Sounds a nice little earner that...

13. Jon

Jon Jermaine Jenas

14. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Simon Davies

From the bits I saw of it he did come across well and was quite entertaining. Top, top celeb.
    And was like a soppy loved-up teenager when he had the surprise visit from Sandra.

Sure, no doubt he'll make more money from it. But Harry is what Harry does.

15. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Les Ferdinand

King of the transfer window and King of the jungle.

16. Jon

Jon Jermaine Jenas

And don’t forget, when he arrived in the jungle it only had two points from eight games

Lakey likes this.
  17. scaramanga

scaramanga Tommy Harmer Staff Member

Welcome to the party ;)

Jon likes this.
  18. Jon

Jon Jermaine Jenas

I got a bonus point though as I typed mine whilst hanging out of a car window.

thfcsteff and scaramanga like this.
  19. nayenezgani

nayenezgani Gerry Armstrong

Redknapp talking total sense, who'd a thought?

Clearly has a soft spot for us which is nice to see, I think his achievements for us are not always given the right level of respect.

I can be as guilty as any one, but fair play to ol 'Arry here.

Edit: That fudge head host who kept bricking on about signings and spending really got on my tits, apologies if anyone ends up with a broken phone, tablet or tv.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2019
    Gazza Dazzla and SteveAWOL like this.
  20. Jon

Jon Jermaine Jenas

Noticeable how about half way through, after the ‘wizard of sound bites’ had unloaded another juicy selection and changed the narrative, Hargreaves then started to repeat Harry’s messages! Despite the fact they contradicted what Hargreaves has been trotting out for months.

Poor simple Gabbidon was so Jedi-mind-tricked, that when surprised into speaking and put on the spot, he just dutifully repeated the last words spoken! :D

What is does demonstrate though is how an agenda is so easily driven via the media. Simply say a few easily repeatable messages, get someone to print or replay them, and hey ho - we now have the ‘go to’ comments when anyone is asked about that topic.

Finally, drip feed the party line out through the tabloid media to the mouth breathers, who then feed it back, enraged, into the radio phone ins and via social media...

The circle is complete - the narrative is now simply ‘what the fans are saying’.... and the cycle goes again with added gusto.