• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can't begin to compare Rodgers, Martínez and Lambert with sherwood, shearer and Adams.

We ve also hired proven managers in the past. Obviously the more proven, the higher the chance of success but they have also failed.

It's about the right fit.

Yep, being provne just increases the chance of successful - no guarantee obviously but at least they know what it takes to win. Hiring an unproven manager is more of a gamble

Agree with the fit comment but for me, first thing is you work out which proven manager's are available and then narrow it down by fit (ie right type of football, managed in DoF structure before, native or near native english etc etc)

It's incredibly hard to go from coach/assistant, where you're mates with the players, to being the head honcho and commanding respect from the same group.

Agree. the LVG/Giggs things looks great to fans and in the paper but something that rarely happens

The Dutch correspondent on Talksport reckons LVG would take Giggs on as well as bring his back staff. From the sounds of it we were incredibly close to signing LVG but UTD unsettled him a month ago just before he was about to put pen to paper.

Question: UTD went to the press commision to refute the claims they had met with LVG but this is now true. Why did they go to such lengths??

Last edited:
In a perfect world we'd get someone in who's around age 40, of Tottenham blood, proven in the Prem, and most importantly plays the Tottenham way.

2 of those 4 seem pretty impossible at this point so imo we should be looking for someone around 40 who plays with style and fluidity.

The two obvious ones that fit imo (assuming Van Gaal is at Man U already):

Pochettino
De Boer

I'd be fine with either.

whoever comes in though, better be prepared to buy someone at lb and install their style straight away as they won't have much time to work with.

Having a small club punching above their weight for a few years whilst playing attractive, attacking football is a far better indicator of someone being able to make the step up in a big job than someone who is doing it playing negative, **** football.

It's one thing to keep a good defensive record when you're playing with 10 men behind the ball and focusing on hoofing the ball up against a high opposition line, then beating them with a set-piece because that's all you practice in training. It's another entirely to have a team with limited technical resources maintain possession effectively, move the ball around quickly, take the game to the opposition and actually do something with it instead of getting spanked on the counter.

I used to think that managers at smaller clubs would try and play better football if given a chance at a bigger team, but as we've seen with the likes of Moyes, Hodgson, Allardyce etc, it's hard for a leopard to change its spots. It's why managers like them failed to replicate their earlier successes in a big job, whereas the likes of Rodgers, Martinez and Redknapp were able to make the step up.

The danger is in going for someone who gets limited success from a few good signings and by being overly offensive in a way the opposition hadn't prepared for initially and overwhelming them, before being found out later. See Holloway, Coyle, Laudrup, Phil Brown etc. It's why the next manager needs to have a track record of not only playing good football, but being successful over time, not just half a season.

Last edited:
The Dutch corresponent on Talksport reckons LVG would take Giggs on as well as bring his back staff. From the sounds of it we were incredibly close to signing LVG but UTD unsettled him a month ago just before he was about to put pen to paper.

Question: UTD went to the press commision to refute the claims they had met with LVG but this is now true. Why did they go to such lengths??

Simple. Because they're c***s! Cannot stand this any longer, like Stobart said we're the guy that spends all night buying a bird drinks only to see a bigger, better looking bloke walk out with her.

I honestly think our motto should be:

To Do All The Hard Work Is To Be Used

](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)

Having a small club punching above their weight for a few years whilst playing attractive, attacking football is a far better indicator of someone being able to make the step up in a big job than someone who is doing it playing negative, **** football.

It's one thing to keep a good defensive record when you're playing with 10 men behind the ball and focusing on hoofing the ball up against a high opposition line, then beating them with a set-piece because that's all you practice in training. It's another entirely to have a team with limited technical resources maintain possession effectively, move the ball around quickly, take the game to the opposition and actually do something with it instead of getting spanked on the counter.

I used to think that managers at smaller clubs would try and play better football if given a chance at a bigger team, but as we've seen with the likes of Moyes, Hodgson, Allardyce etc, it's hard for a leopard to change its spots. It's why managers like them failed to replicate their earlier successes in a big job, whereas the likes of Rodgers, Martinez and Redknapp were able to make the step up.

The danger is in going for someone who gets limited success from a few good signings and by being overly offensive in a way the opposition hadn't prepared for initially and overwhelming them, before being found out later. See Holloway, Coyle, Laudrup, Phil Brown etc.

Eddie Howe it is then

Pochettino:
- Zero experience coaching before being given his first job, coming almost directly from the playing staff at "his" club, Espanyol
- Sacked when bottom of the league after 2 seasons
- Has been in PL job at SCBC for 1 season, 50 games or so
- Has had a pre-season to prep & has had money to spend
- Osvaldo and Ramirez, two expensive signings that didn't work
- Exceptional academy players coming through predating his arrival
- Age, 42
- He's sitting 8th at the moment, 8 points behind 7th and 6 points above 11th.
- Clearly plays to a system, which has produced really nice, winning football
- A lot of playing experience in Argentina and Spain

Sherwood:
- 5 years youth/development coaching at club before first head coach job
- Experience at boardroom/DoF/transfer panel level in that time
- Has caught eye of HR and DL close up
- Has had 18 games in charge in PL
- Came in half way through season, no money spent
- Likely responsible for recommending Eriksen purchase
- Has overseen development of first-teamers Bentaleb, Kane, Rose, at a club where our academy doesn't really produce.
- Age, 44
- Sitting 6th, has decent points record
- Hard to judge his system yet, but loads of goals scored
- A lot of playing experience in England

So Pochettino very clearly has the requisite level of "experience" and a "PL track record" to be Spurs manager, but Sherwood very clearly doesn't?

By all means say Pochettino is qualified if you want. But you cannot say that and then turn around and say Sherwood is hopelessly unqualified. You could say Sherwood is somewhat less qualified, because that's clearly true. But so much less qualified that Poccetinnho deserves serious consideration while Sherwood deserves no consideration at all? No, there isn't enough of a gap between those CV's for that to be true.

For these reasons, I believe Levy would appoint Sherwood over Poccentinho. Is it really worth the headache of tapping up SCBC AGAIN, only for it not to work, when you have a guy who is only about a year behind in his managerial development who's already in place and gagging for the job? From Levy's perspective, I doubt it. Moreover, Pocc could be AVB Mk II for all Levy knows. At least if he appoints Sherwood and Sherwood is a disaster, he can just quietly Fredo him in the bullrushes and get someone else in. There'd be nothing quiet about poaching and then firing Pocc. That would be yet more emotional turmoil for all involved.

Nice post Chancer, certainly makes a good case for TS. I think Ramirez was an Adkins buy though?

I also think 'hard to judge his system yet' is a point you've made very small but is actually really important. MP has shown he can do it, we know what his ideas will be. All Sherwood has shown is that he can let the players go out there and express themselves and knock a few long balls up to Ade, and for all his experience at transfer panel level or his PL experience in 1996, I think that's the most important part.

Pochettino:
- Zero experience coaching before being given his first job, coming almost directly from the playing staff at "his" club, Espanyol
- Sacked when bottom of the league after 2 seasons
- Has been in PL job at SCBC for 1 season, 50 games or so
- Has had a pre-season to prep & has had money to spend
- Osvaldo and Ramirez, two expensive signings that didn't work
- Exceptional academy players coming through predating his arrival
- Age, 42
- He's sitting 8th at the moment, 8 points behind 7th and 6 points above 11th.
- Clearly plays to a system, which has produced really nice, winning football
- A lot of playing experience in Argentina and Spain

Sherwood:
- 5 years youth/development coaching at club before first head coach job
- Experience at boardroom/DoF/transfer panel level in that time
- Has caught eye of HR and DL close up
- Has had 18 games in charge in PL
- Came in half way through season, no money spent
- Likely responsible for recommending Eriksen purchase
- Has overseen development of first-teamers Bentaleb, Kane, Rose, at a club where our academy doesn't really produce.
- Age, 44
- Sitting 6th, has decent points record
- Hard to judge his system yet, but loads of goals scored
- A lot of playing experience in England

So Pochettino very clearly has the requisite level of "experience" and a "PL track record" to be Spurs manager, but Sherwood very clearly doesn't?

By all means say Pochettino is qualified if you want. But you cannot say that and then turn around and say Sherwood is hopelessly unqualified. You could say Sherwood is somewhat less qualified, because that's clearly true. But so much less qualified that Poccetinnho deserves serious consideration while Sherwood deserves no consideration at all? No, there isn't enough of a gap between those CV's for that to be true.

For these reasons, I believe Levy would appoint Sherwood over Poccentinho. Is it really worth the headache of tapping up SCBC AGAIN, only for it not to work, when you have a guy who is only about a year behind in his managerial development who's already in place and gagging for the job? From Levy's perspective, I doubt it. Moreover, Pocc could be AVB Mk II for all Levy knows. At least if he appoints Sherwood and Sherwood is a disaster, he can just quietly Fredo him in the bullrushes and get someone else in. There'd be nothing quiet about poaching and then firing Pocc. That would be yet more emotional turmoil for all involved.

I agree completely, if we can get someone on the level of LVG CA Klopp or maybe even FSW we should go for it, if not it should take a lot more than david Moyes and pochettino to convince me to change mangers again..... You guys like giving managers time right? Especially when they out preform the previous incumbent.

Also, if we need a "winner" who can whip our players into shape and has a CV that would inspire them, any chance of tempting any of these guys out of retirement?

fcb_bvb_hitzfeld_628.variant628x353.jpg

Jupp+Heynckes+Borussia+Dortmund+v+FC+Bayern+DeiIdOB0Ipfl.jpg

can't speak for others but i certainly do not want Poccentinho and nor do i think he has the required experience

can't speak for others but i certainly do not want Poccentinho and nor do i think he has the required experience

This.
Edited to add TS has even done the double over him this year. I have seen nothing of Pottechino that remotely suggests he would succeed with us.

Last edited:
Nice post Chancer, certainly makes a good case for TS. I think Ramirez was an Adkins buy though?

I also think 'hard to judge his system yet' is a point you've made very small but is actually really important. MP has shown he can do it, we know what his ideas will be. All Sherwood has shown is that he can let the players go out there and express themselves and knock a few long balls up to Ade, and for all his experience at transfer panel level or his PL experience in 1996, I think that's the most important part.

Just to say, I wasn't trying to make a case for Sherwood, as much as I was trying to highlight how silly it is to have a serious conversation about Poccetino whilst making lolz at the idea of appointing Sherwood. Anyone who would want one of them appointed should at least be prepared to discuss the other being appointed, because IMO there's a cigarette paper to chose between them on the evidence we have.

On Sherwood's style, I agree it's important to know what it is, but unlike others I don't assign the dramatic uptick in our goalscoring to flukes or luck. I think it's about how the team is organised and we fans just haven't worked out exactly what they are doing on the training pitch yet to make it happen.

Just to say, I wasn't trying to make a case for Sherwood, as much as I was trying to highlight how silly it is to have a serious conversation about Poccetino whilst making lolz at the idea of appointing Sherwood. Anyone who would want one of them appointed should at least be prepared to discuss the other being appointed, because IMO there's a cigarette paper to chose between them on the evidence we have.

On Sherwood's style, I agree it's important to know what it is, but unlike others I don't assign the dramatic uptick in our goalscoring to flukes or luck. I think it's about how the team is organised and we fans just haven't worked out exactly what they are doing on the training pitch yet to make it happen.

Really?

You think Pochettino's approximately 4 years in total in charge as manager of teams in probably the top two leagues in the world is comparable to Sherwood's 5 years in charge of a youth/development team in terms of experience and being proven?

I think there's a massive difference between leading a youth/development team and leading a first team in a top European league. Both in terms of what is required to do well and in terms of the kind of experience it gives you.

Agreed; We need a PROVEN manager with a track record, preferably in multiple-leagues who can stick two-fingers to the baying pro-TS press who will wail if/when TS gets the boot.

Pottechino will be ripped to shreds by the press (no doubt they will dig up a kiss-and-tell from nowhere or something similar..)

Back