• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Seriously. We're talking about one of the best managers in the world - not just my opinion, that of much of the footballing community. He has hinted that we might get him in the summer.

And some people want NBD? As much as I can understand the giddy optimism that some have about NBD, don't you see just how ridiculous that is?

NBD might turn out to be the greatest manager ever born, but to choose him now over a proven great is just preposterous.

tbf , its an easy one to ridicule when thinking pragmatically about things and weighing up career, but some of us are fans that have been starved of what Tim has been feeding us recently...so what if the euphoria has infected us? Who knows how long it will last..2 losses on the bounce and i am sure the tide will turn

has favre taken himself out of contention

as i said before in the last thread

spalletti or favre.....but i hate spalletis' moustache and the fact he dont speak english and thereby might find it hard to communicate with the players

After Danner's 9 synopsis of Louis Van Gaal i dont want him....technically and intellectually one of the greatest football coaching minds out there, but as a person in England with our players and the current culture....i dont think it would work for a second

That has to change some time, why can't it be him who changes it?

I had an argument with a mate of mine about. Van Gaal vs Sherwood and it wound me up something chronic

I'm night anti Tim and I think he will prove to be a great appointment personally but you can't compare the two men....

One has been there, seen it, done it, got the book, t shirt and trophies and the other is working out how to put the t shirt on.

Sherwood is highly regarded by a lot of people but not so much by a lot of spurs fans. LVG CV is highly regarded because of where he has been and what he has done.

Both are gambles band we have played a hand appointing Sherwood. I like what he has done so far in a short solace of time and think he should get a season to prove his worth

Van Gaal will wait on his next move IMO as he has made it clear he wants England and their isn't many top jobs will become available .... So for me it's a no lose gamble, but I'm sure there are others that doesn't see it that way

Anyway..... Where are the pictures of Sherwood's arsenal tattoo that have been rumoured about for the last month or so?

spalletti or favre.....but i hate spalletis' moustache and the fact he dont speak english and thereby might find it hard to communicate with the players

After Danner's 9 synopsis of Louis Van Gaal i dont want him....technically and intellectually one of the greatest football coaching minds out there, but as a person in England with our players and the current culture....i dont think it would work for a second

I think he'd do great with our players. All inclined to play for the team rather than as individuals, all willing to learn, all willing to listen.

Except Ade and Benny, who would probably be sent away again.

I think he'd do great with our players. All inclined to play for the team rather than as individuals, all willing to learn, all willing to listen.

Except Ade and Benny, who would probably be sent away again.

this is based on what exactly? Its easy to say to words / string them together but none of that rings true for me personally

have you seen any information as to the kind of dictator that man can be? He can be quite an **** i'm telling you

why are you singling out Ade and BAE? do you know something first hand about the pair?

your faith in this "All inclined to play for the team rather than as individuals, all willing to learn, all willing to listen." is touching but again i dont get that same feeling to the level thats needed to accept the character that LvG may be.

this is based on what exactly? Its easy to say to words / string them together but none of that rings true for me personally

have you seen any information as to the kind of dictator that man can be? He can be quite an **** i'm telling you

why are you singling out Ade and BAE? do you know something first hand about the pair?

your faith in this "All inclined to play for the team rather than as individuals, all willing to learn, all willing to listen." is touching but again i dont get that same feeling to the level thats needed to accept the character that LvG may be.

Agreed. Read some articles during/after his reign at Bayern, and I remember thinking to myself that I didn't want him as our manager.

i say we go for jol if we're going back to "feel good" football. if not martinez should be in the list.

Last edited:

Based on Bergkamp's book extract to be honest. Where he summises that over his career, LvG has done well with younger players that were more inclined to learn and work for the team, and less well with experienced individuals that would have their own ideas about what to do on the pitch.

Through our squad, I see more team orientated players than I do individuals, which is precisely why AVB would have had them here. In defence, all of them are hard working husslers that have a bit of skill to boot. In midfield, Sandro, Capoue, Dembele and Paulinho have proved they will play to team instructions. Sig, Holtby, Eriksen, Lamela, Townsend, Chadli...all hard workers that will play to a system if required. Upfront, Soldado would too. The only guys I see that wouldn't are Benny and Ade. Benny because he can be too laid back on the pitch, he's prone to a lack of concentration and he's prone to jogging back in to position rather than busting a gut. Ade can actually work hard for the team but I think as a personality, he is quite unreliable. He's not levelled off enough, he's prone to massive highs and massive lows.

That's my reading of those two anyway, but I certainly think our squad in general, and our club, is perfectly suited to LvG. It's a team orientated squad that will listen as far as I'm concerned.

Van Gaal sounds like he'd probably be a bit of a culture shock for some of our players, but that might not necessarily be altogether a bad thing. The others, well, who knows? It'll just be another punt, won't it. Whichever way Levy jumps in the summer, you can rest assured it'll be accompanied by the usual platitudes, all straight out of the glossy brochure — the best decision the club could have made, taking us forward into the sunlit uplands, etc., etc. I think he'll want to keep Sherwood around though, if not in the main hotseat, then as a 'safe pair of hands' in-waiting, Pleaty-stylee, in case it all goes tits up again in short order.

Didn't LVG win the league with AZ Alkmaar?

Yep but nothing I said contradicted that. I said he'd won two European trophies with Ajax going back 15-20 years. Nothing away from the biggest club in the Netherlands and he's been at the likes of Bayern and Barca? The likes of Sven have won that many? Even Ramos with an unfasionable club? He has some solid acheivements but that is something of a blemish.

I'm not disputing he is a decent manager but the point remains if Sherwood manages us into 5th minimum, assuming we have stayed in touch with 4th, then it surely has to be a case of better the devil you know? If it went wrong and LVG couldn't manage top 4 then we would look hugely foolish. There was no question of sacking AVB after 5th having taken over a team that had just 4th. So why would it not be the same for someone taking on a demoralised team who'd slipped to 7th?

Yep but nothing I said contradicted that. I said he'd won two European trophies with Ajax going back 15-20 years. Nothing away from the biggest club in the Netherlands and he's been at the likes of Bayern and Barca? The likes of Sven have won that many? Even Ramos with an unfasionable club? He has some solid acheivements but that is something of a blemish.

I'm not disputing he is a decent manager but the point remains if Sherwood manages us into 5th minimum, assuming we have stayed in touch with 4th, then it surely has to be a case of better the devil you know? If it went wrong and LVG couldn't manage top 4 then we would look hugely foolish. There was no question of sacking AVB after 5th having taken over a team that had just 4th. So why would it not be the same for someone taking on a demoralised team who'd slipped to 7th?

I'm very happy with Sherwood, barring a catostrophic collapse I don't think we need to bring LvG in.

I just think winning the league with AZ ahead of Ajax and PSV is pretty impressive. They'd only won it one other time, in 1981.

tbf , its an easy one to ridicule when thinking pragmatically about things and weighing up career, but some of us are fans that have been starved of what Tim has been feeding us recently...so what if the euphoria has infected us? Who knows how long it will last..2 losses on the bounce and i am sure the tide will turn

Try one loss in a cup game. :D

interesting thought AS. wrt changing the club's culture, reminds me of wenger when he arrived, albeit i suppose very different personalities.

Back