• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tim Sherwood.

There's that alternative universe again! :ross:

Comparing NBD (who, in his entire mangerial career has lost to West Ham, drawn with West Brom and beaten Southampton's and Stoke's reserves) with someone who's done (and succeeded in) just about everything in the managerial game is a bit silly don't you think?

If you suggested we bought (and could buy) Ronaldo and I suggested Jenas instead, what would you think?

Comparing NBD (who, in his entire mangerial career has lost to West Ham, drawn with West Brom and beaten Southampton's and Stoke's reserves) with someone who's done (and succeeded in) just about everything in the managerial game is a bit silly don't you think?

If you suggested we bought (and could buy) Ronaldo and I suggested Jenas instead, what would you think?

Wow that's pretty damn petty.

Wow that's pretty damn petty.

Seriously. We're talking about one of the best managers in the world - not just my opinion, that of much of the footballing community. He has hinted that we might get him in the summer.

And some people want NBD? As much as I can understand the giddy optimism that some have about NBD, don't you see just how ridiculous that is?

NBD might turn out to be the greatest manager ever born, but to choose him now over a proven great is just preposterous.

Stoke weren't as bad off as Mark Hughes suggests, though I will say that Southampton were not so good without their two first choice fullbacks. At the end of the day he's had two weeks with the players and hardly any time to work with them outside of matches.

RE this subject. Sherwood could suprise us all, but i'll reserve judgement until the end of the season. Having a coach like LVG court us is a big thing and could be a turning point in our history. As I've said before, we have a lot of good young players who could really progress with the right man in charge.

Even though Southampton and Stoke were depleted, we managed to score 6 goals and create a lot of good chances (inside the box). That's an improvement.

Today, he picked the most balanced team so far, so perhaps he's also learning as he goes along. I hope that continues.

Even though Southampton and Stoke were depleted, we managed to score 6 goals and create a lot of good chances (inside the box). That's an improvement.

Today, he picked the most balanced team so far, so perhaps he's also learning as he goes along. I hope that continues.

That's the important bit. The midfield selected against WBA was odd to say the least.

Sorry what is it about LVG that makes him so great? His essays are interesting but football isn't played on textbooks. His success has come at the big dominant clubs of their league, which isn't us. He did well at AZ, but if we're using that, we may as well add Schteve to our likely list as well.

It appears so. I'd prefer someone who had already learned what is required, but it's better than not learning by a margin.

AVB took over a team that had just finished 4th, had the benefit of Bale and delivered a challenge on the top 4. There were little suggestion that we should sack him in the summer. And rightly so! Meanwhile, Sherwood, taking over Spurs in 7th, having just suffered our third hammering of the season, with confidence and morale slipping away, has managed to keep us in touch with the last 3 results. If he can maintain that then surely there can be no question of replacing him? And if he manages 4th he should be getting a one year extension. 6th place or lower and more than a few points adrift, by all means we look elsewhere but I fully expect us to be in the mix.

As for Van Gaal, he's had plum jobs for nearly his entire career. I don't think that makes us a good match. Has even delivered 'value added' with all his big jobs? Not really. One CL victory nearly 20 years ago. One other European trophy more than 20 years ago. Neither of them away from the biggest club in the Netherlands. 3 titles outside of the Netherlands. I heard all the same about Santini. Absurd hype. Had won the league in France but with the biggest spenders. Nothing extraordinary about that. Avram Grant was about 2 points away with Chelsea. Better still was Ramos who'd apparently done well with comparatively limited resources. Back to back Uefa Cup winner and look what happened there. As we don't have a bankroller owner, what would be best (and has been best) for us is someone on the way up, who has something to prove and who isn't just interested in the next big payday.

Last edited:
Sorry what is it about LVG that makes him so great? His essays are interesting but football isn't played on textbooks. His success has come at the big dominant clubs of their league, which isn't us. He did well at AZ, but if we're using that, we may as well add Schteve to our likely list as well.

exactly

AVB took over a team that had just finished 4th, had the benefit of Bale and delivered a challenge on the top 4. There were little suggestion that we should sack him in the summer. And rightly so! Meanwhile, Sherwood, taking over Spurs in 7th, having just suffered our third hammering of the season, with confidence and morale slipping away, has managed to keep us in touch with the last 3 results. If he can maintain that then surely there can be no question of replacing him? And if he manages 4th he should be getting a one year extension. 6th place or lower and more than a few points adrift, by all means we look elsewhere but I fully expect us to be in the mix.

As for Van Gaal, he's had plum jobs for nearly his entire career. I don't think that makes us a good match. Has even delivered 'value added' with all his big jobs? Not really. One CL victory nearly 20 years ago. One other European trophy more than 20 years ago. Neither of them away from the biggest club in the Netherlands. 3 titles outside of the Netherlands. I heard all the same about Santini. Absurd hype. Had won the league in France but with the biggest spenders. Nothing extraordinary about that. Avram Grant was about 2 points away with Chelsea. Better still was Ramos who'd apparently done well with comparatively limited resources. Back to back Uefa Cup winner and look what happened there. As we don't have a bankroller owner, what would be best (and has been best) for us is someone on the way up, who has something to prove and who isn't just interested in the next big payday.

That's an interesting post and raises some good points. Anybody like to give a good counter to it?

My plus point for Van Gaal is that he has managed at massive clubs with big expectations and he did deliver. And then he has also managed at clubs with good youngsters, brought them on and delivered too. He would command a lot of respect imo.

What made Alex Ferguson so great? Any mug could have dominated the game for 20 years with that setup...

Or perhaps he was just a genuine world-class manager.

van Gaal is as good as they come.

Under AVB we lost 3-0 AT HOME to a West Ham team without a striker, 5-0 to Liverpool minus Gerrard and Sturridge and 6-0 to Emirates Marketing Project minus Kompany and Silva.

Didn't LVG win the league with AZ Alkmaar?

has favre taken himself out of contention

as i said before in the last thread

spalletti or favre.....but i hate spalletis' moustache and the fact he dont speak english and thereby might find it hard to communicate with the players

After Danner's 9 synopsis of Louis Van Gaal i dont want him....technically and intellectually one of the greatest football coaching minds out there, but as a person in England with our players and the current culture....i dont think it would work for a second

Back