• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wait if gutter boy is now in the pouch camp, I'm in the anyone but pouch camp, that guy gets everything football related wrong ;) levy should just do the opposite of what he says

Tbf, GB was right about Sherwood....
I think the quote was "Thick as pig **** and a nasty piece of work."

8-[

Poch could just as easily finish 15th next season if he stays at Southampton. We are mad to put our faith in a "flavour of the month" appointment.

The 'flavour of the month' appointment would surely be Pulis or Poyet in terms of the Premiership, based on the media reactions to their campaigns. While Pochettino has done very well IMO he's largely under the radar as far as gushing press reviews are concerned. The press don't seem that interested in him at all, probably down to the way he uses an interpreter to give interviews with the press.

Pochettino has had more than one season at Southampton (albeit not a full season before). He's also had several seasons at Espanyol prior to this. Neither club had any real hope of winning the league, or of winning any silverware. Priorities for both clubs were avoiding relegation from the top flight of two of Europe's toughest leagues.

I'd say De Boer was even more "flavour of the month". He's definately the 'sexier' appointment from a PR perspective, as can be seen by the poll results for this thread.

I'm glad that Levy and the club are looking beyond that and scratching beneath the surface, as I don't have as much confidence in De Boer replicating what he did at Ajax, with Spurs.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't be upset or against De Boer's appointment, but i'd prefer Pochettino. Reasons?

Both of them are experienced internationals with loads of caps and well respected players. Kind of a draw in this regard.

Both managers have been successful as far as their clubs expectations are concerned. Winning the Eiredivisie is nothing special for Ajax, but winning it 4 times in a row is still an impressive achievement. De Boer has shown an ability to mould a winning unit out of young players, albeit at an average level of competitiveness. Pochettino has achieved a record Premiership performance for Southampton and also shown an ability to develop underutilised players and improve them to the level of top-level internationals. Taking into account all the clubs' expectations, i'd say both De Boer and Pochettino had their clubs performing above expectations and the improvements they have made to their clubs have been pretty similar in terms of developing a definate style of play throughout the club in a relatively short period of time and moulding and developing younger players to maximise their potential.

HOWEVER, Pochettino has shown an ability to translate/transfer his ideas and style of play across footballing leagues, countries and cultures, neither of which were his native country. De Boer has only managed one club, in his native country.

ADDITIONALLY, Pochettino has shown an ability to deal effectively and professionally with the English media. De Boer's only major managerial experience with the English media ended up making THFC look like an embarrassment.

FINALLY, Pochettino's preferred formations and style of play are almost taylor-made for the current THFC squad. De Boer would certaintly not complain about our squad and would definately be able to effectively mould it to his preferred methods, but I don't think its the almost ideal combination potentially that it is for Pochettino's system.

I think there is a lot of sense in the club pursuing Pochettino as the number 1 choice, over De Boer, who is the back-up plan. I think while both are clearly up and coming managers with a lot of potential, I think as far as demonstrating an ability to manage effectively in this country and develop young, English players and integrate them with key foreign signings, Pochettino definately has the edge IMO over De Boer.

Tom Collomosse ‏@TomCStandard 8m

Southampton making contingency plans for possible post-Pochettino. Believe Oscar Garcia, Petrescu, Di Matteo are among those in frame #thfc

I was reading SaintsWeb last night. Apparently one of their top ITK says they've been meeting with a current EPL manager whose name begins with P as a potential replacement for Poch. So that is one of Poyet, Pulis and Pardew (again). Pellegrini is the 4th that fits that criteria, but obviously not him.

Benitez is staying in Naples....he is already buying players for next season, just signed a french centre back and is also looking at Agger.

And had his contract extended

I think people have to remember that Pochettino was also an international defender of decent standing (apart from when he gave away the penalty vs Michael Owen in 20028-[) and has played to a good level at at least 2/3 European clubs.

Not quite the glitz of FDB for sure, but it's not like he hasn't had a good playing career himself. One thing he DEFINITELY has over FDB is experience in this league.

There are pros and cons to both of them imo, but it's not as if FDB is so much further ahead of FDB in terms his suitability for us in our current position and stage of development.

The 'flavour of the month' appointment would surely be Pulis or Poyet in terms of the Premiership, based on the media reactions to their campaigns. While Pochettino has done very well IMO he's largely under the radar as far as gushing press reviews are concerned. The press don't seem that interested in him at all, probably down to the way he uses an interpreter to give interviews with the press.

Pochettino has had more than one season at Southampton (albeit not a full season before). He's also had several seasons at Espanyol prior to this. Neither club had any real hope of winning the league, or of winning any silverware. Priorities for both clubs were avoiding relegation from the top flight of two of Europe's toughest leagues.

thats part of the problem...........he is untested at the top end of the table. The expectations at Spurs are greater than those at Espanyol and Southampton. Its a different kind of pressure. Gerry Francis did great with a small club like QPR, kept them in the PL and one time they finished the top club in London iirc. However when he made the step up at Spurs he eventually couldnt handle it. Although its in a different league, FdB has at least shown he can handle the big pressure of managing a side expected to win week in week out at the top end of the table

I'd be happy with either of them. It's almost at the stage where I'd be disappointed if it was anyone other than them. Unless of course it was like Ancelotti etc

thats part of the problem...........he is untested at the top end of the table. The expectations at Spurs are greater than those at Espanyol and Southampton. Its a different kind of pressure. Gerry Francis did great with a small club like QPR, kept them in the PL and one time they finished the top club in London iirc. However when he made the step up at Spurs he eventually couldnt handle it. Although its in a different league, FdB has at least shown he can handle the big pressure of managing a side expected to win week in week out at the top end of the table

I think you raise some fair points, but could not the same be said for FDB being untested in a 'big' and much more competitive league? That 'step-up' could also be pressure that cannot be handled by FDB, seeing as Tottenham are not traditionally one the teams expected to be in a title-race year in year out

I think you raise some fair points, but could not the same be said for FDB being untested in a 'big' and much more competitive league? That 'step-up' could also be pressure that cannot be handled by FDB, seeing as Tottenham are not traditionally one the teams expected to be in a title-race year in year out
yes, FdB is untested in a bigger and more competitive league. However Ajax is not the easiest of clubs to manage, so much history and the weight of expectation as a result. you are right though, Tottenham is a different type of challenge he will encounter

I was reading SaintsWeb last night. Apparently one of their top ITK says they've been meeting with a current EPL manager whose name begins with P as a potential replacement for Poch. So that is one of Poyet, Pulis and Pardew (again). Pellegrini is the 4th that fits that criteria, but obviously not him.

Oooh, I quite like this puzzle-solving form of rumour-peddling.

I have heard that, as we are looking for a coach not a manager, we have been talking to someone named Steve.

Those are all terrible names.. They have worked hard to get to the PL and then finish mid-table in their second season... If Poch goes then there must be some better names out there than those three?

I do, but I think the same for Pochettino. And I don't see the one factor of immense success as a player as decisive.

Neither do I but I do see a hugely successful player and a four times title winning manager and a well English speaking manager and a manager that has implemented a world class system as decisive.

like I have said before opinions is what makes football great and sometimes fun my opinion is poch is ok fdb is better it does not make me right just of a different opinion.

But in this case I am right ;) :D

tinkerman is free?? so who is going to monaco, Pocha??

Zidanne most likely. But there's also Ancelotti or someone like Domenech.

He's actually quite short odds for the Soton job (10-1). I think he'll stay at Zenit for a bit though, whatever offers come in. He was loyal to us last summer when the offers came in.

Those are all terrible names.. They have worked hard to get to the PL and then finish mid-table in their second season... If Poch goes then there must be some better names out there than those three?

I think Mackay and Petrescu are shortest odds for them (along with Poyet and Di Matteo). The fans seem to want a young philosophy coach like Rosler or Howe though.

Back