• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just to say, I wasn't trying to make a case for Sherwood, as much as I was trying to highlight how silly it is to have a serious conversation about Poccetino whilst making lolz at the idea of appointing Sherwood. Anyone who would want one of them appointed should at least be prepared to discuss the other being appointed, because IMO there's a cigarette paper to chose between them on the evidence we have.

On Sherwood's style, I agree it's important to know what it is, but unlike others I don't assign the dramatic uptick in our goalscoring to flukes or luck. I think it's about how the team is organised and we fans just haven't worked out exactly what they are doing on the training pitch yet to make it happen.

We've definitely scored more goals because of Sherwood, but I think it's simply been a direct approach. Beyond that I don't think there's been a clear system that allows us to win games rather than simply score goals. We get the ball forward quickly and leave massive gaps all over the park. MP has a system which makes Southampton look like they have a coherent plan to score goals and keep them out.

But yeah, as people have said, MP has 4/5 years as manager in the top 2 leagues in the world. Sherwood has 4/5 months. Not that I think MP would actually work well with Levy.

Interesting in that article that an LVG criticism was not listening to board member advice...we've heard that recently.

Because Everton were handed two of Europe's best young players late in the window. Whatever you think of Southampton's team, its quite a bit short of where Everton's is quality wise. The difference is that Everton are guaranteed to lose their best two players this summer, whereas Southampton are not.

I think you will find both Shaw & Llana not at Southampton come next August

Really?

You think Pochettino's approximately 4 years in total in charge as manager of teams in probably the top two leagues in the world is comparable to Sherwood's 5 years in charge of a youth/development team in terms of experience and being proven?

I think there's a massive difference between leading a youth/development team and leading a first team in a top European league. Both in terms of what is required to do well and in terms of the kind of experience it gives you.

But he was bottom of the league and sacked.... He has done ok with Southampton with financial backing but hasn't pulled up trees

Really?

You think Pochettino's approximately 4 years in total in charge as manager of teams in probably the top two leagues in the world is comparable to Sherwood's 5 years in charge of a youth/development team in terms of experience and being proven?

I think there's a massive difference between leading a youth/development team and leading a first team in a top European league. Both in terms of what is required to do well and in terms of the kind of experience it gives you.

Yeah, "cigarette paper" was the wrong phrase to use.

Referring back to the original post, my point was really that holistically speaking, when you add in every factor - including the effort of taking Pocc from SCBC and the trauma if he doesn't work out - the relative difference between making one appointment over the other isn't massive.

http://jeddavies.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Louis-Van-Gaal-interview.pdf

Very interesting article on LVG and his philosophy.

I'm not sure why people are taking that quote as well ans using it as a reason why if we had the chance we should avoid LVG. There are quotes form Houness in 2010, 2011, 2013 that all talk about the incredible job he did there. Yes he fell out with a lot of people eventually but I have not met a single Bayern fan who doesn't think LVG set the very solid foundations for what they are right now, both as a squad and as a club in general.

Clutching at straws a little now, but what about:

Roberto Di Matteo

Pros:
Champions League winner, beating Bayern at their home stadium in the final and also Guardiola's Barcelona over two legs, despite playing most of the second leg with 10 men. FA Cup winner, spanking us 5-1 and beating Liverpool in the final. Attractive, attacking football. Beat us 4-2 at White Hart Lane and beat Arsenal at the Emirates twice (including once with West Brom), and thrashed Napoli 4-1 in the Champions League. Got West Brom promoted and off to their best ever start in the Premiership, playing good football with new signings like Odemwingie. Has quite legitimate cause to say he was badly treated in a transitional season having lost Drogba and trying to integrate new young foreign players like Hazard, Oscar and Azpulicueta into the side. His players all really liked him. Knows the Premier League. Despite his Chelsea connections, is actually a fairly likeable character.

Cons:
Has been sacked after less than a full year in charge in both his Premier League jobs - "no smoke without fire" as they say. Questions asked of his tactical nous and his ability to turn things around when going through a bad spell. Some of his successes were massively down to luck, Barca or Bayern could easily have scored 5 or 6 in all three of those games. Widely considered a "yes man", with no real authority. Chelsea ****.

Neil Lennon

Pros:
Winning anything in Scotland is irrelevant if you're the Celtic manager, but he managed to beat Barcelona in the Champions League last season. Came across really well on MOTD a few weeks ago, well spoken and with good tactical insight. Knows the Premiership.

Cons:
Completely unproven in a competitive league. Issues about his temperament.

Roberto Di Matteo

Pros:
Champions League winner, beating Bayern at their home stadium in the final and also Guardiola's Barcelona over two legs, despite playing most of the second leg with 10 men. FA Cup winner, spanking us 5-1 and beating Liverpool in the final. Attractive, attacking football. Beat us 4-2 at White Hart Lane and beat Arsenal at the Emirates twice (including once with West Brom), and thrashed Napoli 4-1 in the Champions League. Got West Brom promoted and off to their best ever start in the Premiership, playing good football with new signings like Odemwingie. Has quite legitimate cause to say he was badly treated in a transitional season having lost Drogba and trying to integrate new young foreign players like Hazard, Oscar and Azpulicueta into the side. His players all really liked him. Knows the Premier League. Despite his Chelsea connections, is actually a fairly likeable character.

Cons:
Has been sacked after less than a full year in charge in both his Premier League jobs - "no smoke without fire" as they say. Questions asked of his tactical nous and his ability to turn things around when going through a bad spell. Some of his successes were massively down to luck, Barca or Bayern could easily have scored 5 or 6 in all three of those games. Widely considered a "yes man", with no real authority. Chelsea ****.

Neil Lennon

Pros:
Winning anything in Scotland is irrelevant if you're the Celtic manager, but he managed to beat Barcelona in the Champions League last season. Came across really well on MOTD a few weeks ago, well spoken and with good tactical insight. Knows the Premiership.

Cons:

Sweet Jesus and the Orphans, have you been smoking crack mate !!!!

Sweet Jesus and the Orphans, have you been smoking crack mate !!!!

:)

I think Di Matteo COULD be a good shot. I was there both times when he tore us to pieces. They just appeared to be better coached, more organised and hungrier than we were. Hard to say what would have happened if he hadn't been sacked. You can't knock his record in the big games though - outstanding.

Lennon was slightly tongue in cheek. I don't watch any Scottish football. But, the most successful manager this country has ever seen came from there. I'd like to see how he does at a smaller Premiership team.

I'd like personally Klinsmann. Moyes COULDN'T be as much a disaster with us as he was with the Mancs SURELY??!?!??

Given how narrowminded a lot of the fanbase is, that is another worry. Even Allegri will be written off as another Santini and people will be jumping to all kinds of idiotic conclusions based on zero actual knowledge of what's been happening.

I agree. One of the attractions for me in LvG was that I felt he had the best chance of uniting the fan base. We have had too many years of the fans pulling in different directions and I am sure that this has had a detrimental affect on individual players and the teams performance. I am concerned that making what some would consider a lesser appointment (even if that is down to their ignorance) will mean that the poison will set in again and the new manager will not stand a chance.

Roberto Di Matteo

Pros:

Cons:

Neil Lennon

Pros:

Cons:

My GHod no. Who else have you got for us? Fat Sam? Alex McLeish?

:)

I think Di Matteo COULD be a good shot. I was there both times when he tore us to pieces. They just appeared to be better coached, more organised and hungrier than we were. Hard to say what would have happened if he hadn't been sacked. You can't knock his record in the big games though - outstanding.

Lennon was slightly tongue in cheek. I don't watch any Scottish football. But, the most successful manager this country has ever seen came from there. I'd like to see how he does at a smaller Premiership team.

I think that Di Matteo's success at Chelsea was based on binning what AVB had done and reverting to his predecessors tactics with the same (and very experienced) players. That would not work with us and we would not put up with the ultra defensive football that they played under him.

But he was bottom of the league and sacked.... He has done ok with Southampton with financial backing but hasn't pulled up trees

Which was pretty much where they were when he took over.

He took over at a very troublesome time for the club from what I've heard. I also read/heard that he was highly rated by the club and fans and in the end left at a time when they were just looking for something to do to hope to spark another revival. The reason he was appointed by the (also highly rated) Southampton chairman was partly because they were friends, but also partly because he was highly rated.

Southampton have had financial backing, but looking at transfermarkt they at least had £20m+ net spends registered this season for Swansea, West Ham, Norwich, Fulham, Cardiff, Hull and Crystal Palace. Southamptons £33m net spend isn't them just massively outspending everyone and then outperforming them. Remember too that this was a team that was promoted in consecutive seasons by Atkins. To be comfortably mid table in their second season in the Premier League after that, by playing attacking football as well, isn't a minor achievement.

Yeah, "cigarette paper" was the wrong phrase to use.

Referring back to the original post, my point was really that holistically speaking, when you add in every factor - including the effort of taking Pocc from SCBC and the trauma if he doesn't work out - the relative difference between making one appointment over the other isn't massive.

Perhaps not.

To me though Pochettino just seems to have something about him that Sherwood just doesn't. What you mention about having a clear system, to me making the team work as a unit is something we really should look for in a manager. Sherwood for me just hasn't shown that.

I'm think Pochettino rightly has a place amongst a host of "maybe" managers that are joint second on the list of potential managers after LvG. I see no reason to think Sherwood should be there.

What we can safely say is that whoever it might be, be they an experienced premiership campaigner, or one of Europe's elite, they will have been sacked by November 2016.

Back