• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

Paratici + Fonseca = new dawn and ear of cost effective PSV type football?
Invest in youth and development revenue from sales? (until the ESL returns)
well at least its a proper way to build a football club.

If so let's stop the PR bullcrap about top tier in demand footballers and managers.

I didn't object to Mourinho because of his glittering trophy cabinet. I objected to Mourinho because we had betrayed and sacked one of the best managers we've ever had, and (more importantly in my book) a good man who cared about us and knew what it meant to be Spurs...for an odious c*nt who cared about himself, and only himself.

Au contraire re: Pochettino - I was 100% in favour of his appointment at the time, although he wasn't my first choice. Because it was clear how much he'd transformed Southampton, and succeeded in the world's hardest league - Southampton fans were shattered to lose him.

Fonseca? Roma fans were glad to be shot of Fonseca. For *Mourinho* - the depressing, self-centred c*nt who made watching us an absolutely excruciating experience. Fonseca wasn't even good enough to be seen as better than Mourinho.

And his most recent exposure to our league involved him being absolutely humped by Ole Gunnar Solksjaer, the managerial equivalent of Jermaine Jenas.

It's not brands, it's the context behind why it was clear one manager would succeed, and why this guy seems like a bargain bin hand-me-down who's here because he's a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

Reasonable to think so, but nah. Like I said, we all care about Spurs first and foremost. My disgust at that liar in charge doesn't dictate how much I want us to win - I always want us to win, even if it means the cheapskate in charge is vindicated.

Which is why I'm disappointed about Fonseca - if I was as bitter as you seem to think I am, I'd be happy we're hiring a seemingly mediocre journeyman, because it shows what I knew and know all along - Levy does not care about Spurs, never has, never will. Instead, I'm just continually disappointed at how much of a deadweight he and his boss continue to be.

I hope Fonseca succeeds, if he does come. I hope he overcomes all the challenges of working under Levy and ENIC. I hope he grows as close to us as Poch did. And, since I understand he's a decent bloke with a good heart, not like Mourinho, I have sympathy for him.

But I am disappointed - utterly so. No way around it.

Hindsight allows you to build a narrative about Poch. There were plenty wanting him moved on when he was sacked. You criticise the club for not spending more on a manager, but don’t recognise that a. Poch was a similar appointment (though with less experience) and b. that expensive, won it all managers, don’t always deliver, Mourinho the perfect example.

Haters gonna hate - sadly that applies to most of your posts now. Whoever we get will have a decent skill set and experience, and rather than try and find fault with them to add to the levy narrative, why not look for the more subtle positives around their coaching style and what they would bring to the club. All the negativity doesn’t do anyone any good.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The only positive?

Lets rewind a bit. When we sacked Mourinho. We all wanted:

- Levy to step back from football matters.
- levy to get a dof.
- the dof to choose the coach.
- the dof to rebuild the squad.
- the coach to play attacking football.

Seems like the boxes are ticked for me.
I said this to Raziel yesterday. Wanting a DOF is one thing. The quality of the actual DOF is another matter.

It's like saying I want a car so any car must do. Well know I don't actually want the green SUV thanks.

People may want a DoF but that doesn't mean they want the DoF who is being appointed.

The only positive?

- levy to get a dof.

How are any of these boxes ticked? We’ve yet to appoint a DoF (plenty of rumours, no official announcement); we’ve no idea whether or not Levy will step back from the footballing side (it’s going to take a year or so to see that play out); we’ve not made a single transfer in or out yet; we have no idea what type of football the new coach might play as no one has been appointed yet.

I said this to Raziel yesterday. Wanting a DOF is one thing. The quality of the actual DOF is another matter.

It's like saying I want a car so any car must do. Well know I don't actually want the green SUV thanks.

People may want a DoF but that doesn't mean they want the DoF who is being appointed.
So how do you judge the quality ?
I mean he hasn’t even started here and has people complaining it seems

https://windycoys.com/2021/06/the-fonseca-files-part-1/#comment-726903

Windys done a good analysis here
He actually doesn’t go into as much detail as he could around the car crash that was happening at Roma but he does highlight the way that Fonseca is similar to Poch but with more trophies and more experience

fudge yeah. My manager. All aboard the Fonseca-train now. :D Expected points at 3rd, that's pretty different from our team this past season (we were 10th or so on expected points, no?) - so we're probably gonna go after Lopetegui now. :p

I can understand people being frustrated, but at least give it a chance. I think getting a DoF in who chooses a seemingly progressive coach is just what we need. I don't see the issue here myself. Kind of an underwhelming appointment, but just because we know so little of him. He just might be our next Poch, you know.

Last edited:
The only positive?

- levy to get a dof.

Yes the only positive

there is no evidence that Levy has stepped back
It seems like the incoming DOF has picked the coach so yes that’s a positive move

no evidence yet that the DOF will be able to rebuild given our financial situation

I don’t know enough about this coach but yes he seems to be committed to attacking football but outside of Ukraine his record is extremly underwhelming, Ossie played great attacking football but ultimately I didn’t enjoy it because we lost more than we won, so time will tell

To be clear, I’m not annoyed because I thought we get Poch because of a story in the paper and then we didn’t. (Well, I am a bit, because I love Poch).

But I hope you can see in this thread I’ve been very fair and balanced in the discussion around Fons and give the club it’s due for making a sound decision.

What I’m actually annoyed about, is that the leaks came from the club. It’s not the story I’m annoyed about, it’s why the story appeared in the first place, and what the motivations behind doing that were.

Honestly this take that ‘the media is all flimflam’ is just native. Of course not everything they say comes true. But most of the time a story comes from somewhere. Some person or institution has an agenda and uses the media to further it. In this instance, that week, I thought they were taking the fans for a ride to drive engagement. And I think that’s incredibly poor form. Not getting Poch I accept. Signing Fons I accept. Being taken for a ride I don’t accept.
So it's feelings that matter over reality?

Yes the only positive

there is no evidence that Levy has stepped back
It seems like the incoming DOF has picked the coach so yes that’s a positive move

no evidence yet that the DOF will be able to rebuild given our financial situation

I don’t know enough about this coach but yes he seems to be committed to attacking football but outside of Ukraine his record is extremly underwhelming, Ossie played great attacking football but ultimately I didn’t enjoy it because we lost more than we won, so time will tell
His trophy wins are higher than a lot to managers (he won trophies in Portugal too) so he has done better than Poch so far on that front
His win % at a struggling Roma side would have got us 4th and actually is only just over 1% worse than Pochs
If he is out new manager give the guy a chance

So how do you judge the quality ?
I mean he hasn’t even started here and has people complaining it seems
No idea tbh. Fans are going off reputation of which his is not wholly glowing.

I prefer to wait and see. This might be the perfect job for him or not. Only time will tell.

My point was more to say to @Lilbaz that just having a DoF in name alone isn't necessarily going to satisfy. The quality of the person installed is just as important as the decision to go down that route.

No idea tbh. Fans are going off reputation of which his is not wholly glowing.

I prefer to wait and see. This might be the perfect job for him or not. Only time will tell.

My point was more to say to @Lilbaz that just having a DoF in name alone isn't necessarily going to satisfy. The quality of the person installed is just as important as the decision to go down that route.
Ah reputation…
His reputation was brilliant when they were winning the league
No fans complained when they signed Ronaldo out there
It’s always retrospective and when things go wrong (the blame game kicks in)
It’s the same for the Fonz and his stint at Roma… I’ve heard he was awful from some people yet when you look at the actual facts and details most coaches would struggle with 3 DOfs, 2 owners, losing a lot of players through injuries (including their star man for a season)
I mean if it helps we recruited Poch who had what was actually a failed spell at espanyol (he left them bottom) and a solid spell at Southampton where he actually broke their record transfer fee several times to get them to progress

these appointments are very much Russian Roulette. Every decision could shoot you, and could be your last. The club/levy have to make the best calls they can with the info and constraints they have

Looking at his record and style of play it's not actually too dissimilar to Rodgers who most people would have been happy with.

Whoever comes in I just hope it's soon, been a few weeks since the season ended and there's a lot of work to be done.

I think we need to rethink how we view the structure - we have a DoF now. The DoF will be the focus of the clubs footballing vision and identity, not the manager. Because the manager will be the head coach and a replaceable part of the system, just like a player.

We had the one man vision with Poch and did really well.
We tried one of the best ever managers to quickly mould a team in his image with Mourinho. It didn't work out.

Fonseca - generally spends a year in a job. Never done more than three.
Let's not get too attached to the bloke in the dugout.
Focus on the chicken badge instead.

Ah reputation…
His reputation was brilliant when they were winning the league
No fans complained when they signed Ronaldo out there
It’s always retrospective and when things go wrong (the blame game kicks in)
It’s the same for the Fonz and his stint at Roma… I’ve heard he was awful from some people yet when you look at the actual facts and details most coaches would struggle with 3 DOfs, 2 owners, losing a lot of players through injuries (including their star man for a season)
I mean if it helps we recruited Poch who had what was actually a failed spell at espanyol (he left them bottom) and a solid spell at Southampton where he actually broke their record transfer fee several times to get them to progress

these appointments are very much Russian Roulette. Every decision could shoot you, and could be your last. The club/levy have to make the best calls they can with the info and constraints they have
I'm quite positive on a Fonseca move. I've never paid too much attention to him but the little that crossed my path was quite positive. Like you say he's very much in the mould of Poch pre Spurs.

I don't care for name brands or reputations because each club situation and context is different. I just care how suitable or not a person is to our context.

Fonseca appears to fit where we are, he's makes a lot more sense than Conte would have.

Looking at his record and style of play it's not actually too dissimilar to Rodgers who most people would have been happy with.

Whoever comes in I just hope it's soon, been a few weeks since the season ended and there's a lot of work to be done.

I think that is a fair comparison.

Of course he has to get up to speed with the league and UK, but hopefully Spurs existing team and setup will take the weight off the acclimatisation.

Back