1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Next Manager?

Discussion in 'Classic Threads' started by StephenH, 29 Jan 2021.

1. AdamB

AdamB Erik Thorstvedt

You'll need to explain that one to me....

2. milo

milo Jack L. Jones

He had a self portrait in his flat

3. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

That’s why he’ll stay at Leicester until one comes knocking.... :D

milo likes this.
  4. GPRD81

GPRD81 Erik Edman

Its as much about the type of manager as it is the individual.

I can see the logic in the Jose appointment; this was a squad with most of its players at their peak that needed a new message to get over that final hurdle. It wasn't the moment to bring someone in who would rip up the current squad and start completely afresh. I don't believe the club, players and the fans even were in the mental space for such a transformation. On and off the field Kane and Son were and are our biggest assets - i don't think they would have been enthused with another project manager who would have had a 3-4 year plan. Jose was and is about the here and now. He carries a lot of baggage with him which is evident on here - some are desperate for him to fail and every defeat is further evidence of his status as a busted flush and yesterdays man.

I do believe he was sold up the river somewhat - the squad was unbalanced and not in a good shape with many demotivated players wanting away. Then the Kane and Son injuries occurred and the global pandemic happened. There's really far too many variables to definitively suggest he's doomed to failure.

However, I believe Levy made the right type of appointment - perhaps Ancelotti would have been worth waiting a few weeks for but who knows? If Jose left tomorrow what keeps Kane and Son interested - I doubt at 27/28 they're willing to be part of a 3-4 year project and how upset would be to lose them?

As for the next manager - we're all romanced by the idea of a Pochettino style project appointment (perhaps it will be Poch himself) as we have fond memories of the incredible journey he took us on. I guess Jol was a similar ride back in 2004. But remember that this sort of appointment can go badly wrong - the AVB journey started ok but lost momentum to the extent it was hard to remember what the plan was in the first place. By nature this sort of appointment has an element of risk - you're going to be recruiting someone who probably hasn't had a job of this magnitude before.

Often its a case of the right person at the right moment - Harry Redknapp was a great example of this.

Robbo, Aldo, billyiddo and 1 other person like this.
  5. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Ian Walker

Who is the manager at Atalanta? Does he speak English?

6. AdamB

AdamB Erik Thorstvedt

ok, bit odd but wouldnt hold that against him.

Rodgers or the Wolves guy seem like top candidates. Hassenhuttl is more of a punt, but Poch was somewhat similar. Naggelsmann another option.

Frankly I'd probably take any of those rather than Jose. Would enable me to be a bit more proud of Spurs and I don't see that we'd be less likely to win things with any of those.

We're rubbish to watch at the moment and an embarrassment

7. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Micky Hazard

Ancelotti is doing exactly the same at Everton by the way
    Their so deep Pickford is playing centre back

8. milo

milo Jack L. Jones

Neither would I. He's a bit of a tit but good at his job.

9. AdamB

AdamB Erik Thorstvedt

Precisely. I'm not bothered what our manager does in his private live, provided its legal.

I'd much prefer Rodgers over any of our managers in the last 30 years bar Poch and maybe Jol. Jol was a hero but Rodgers possibly a better manager, or gets better results at least

StephenH likes this.
  10. StephenH

StephenH David Ginola

I wanted him instead of Poch. But now I just don't think Leicester would let him go! So he is not on my the realistic list now sadly.

11. Bedfordspurs

Managers can leave
    Their contract has minimal value as it’s just compensation for their contract

AdamB and StephenH like this.
  12. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

I don't think a project manager is the route we will go down next, i think we put that approach behind us when we moved on from Poch, if we're not giving him time after reaching the CL final then we're not giving anyone time. We're now on the manager merry go round and Mourinho lives by those rules as much as anyone - if you aren't doing the business in your second year you're skating on thin ice same as at any other top club.

13. milo

milo Jack L. Jones

I think that if Mourinho doesn't work out, we will go for a project manager. He's not going to leave this year and he rarely leaves a legacy, so we will need to rebuild from scratch.

Aldo and AdamB like this.
  14. billyiddo

billyiddo Garth Crooks Staff Member

Maybe project manager is the wrong term - we won't be appointing a manager from a mid table club with no CL experience, like with Poch, it will be a manager with a degree of pedigree at that level.

Baleforce likes this.
  15. Dicko

Dicko Jonathan Woodgate

Can we hurry up and use Jose's influence to get Luis Campos in as DOF before we sack him!

Robbo, mjc23 and StephenH like this.
  16. StephenH

StephenH David Ginola

I would love Levy to get him but I'm holding my breath

17. StephenH

StephenH David Ginola

funny that has not happened yet!
    that was one of the few upsides to getting Mourinho !

18. Bedfordspurs

We ain’t getting rid of kale anytime soon

19. StephenH

StephenH David Ginola

“kale”

20. milo

milo Jack L. Jones

I think that you make an interesting point about German managers. I think that Mourinho will be with us for at least another 18 months. I think that you are right that the style of play could be found out or about to be found out by that point.

DubaiSpur likes this.