• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Manager?

That article does say he knew was playing brick and deserved to be dropped, but wasn't expecting to be dropped permanently.

As he's not that old for a keeper it does seem a bit harsh, however if Potter wanted to rebuild for the long term perhaps it is understandable.

Also, went to the Arse amid comments about his boyhood club, so loses a lot of sympathy...

Agree, but going from “I want to give the other keeper a run” to “pack your bags” without taking breath seems a bit harsh.

But yes, he’s at Arsenal now so fudge him. He trialed at Spurs a number of years ago incidentally.

kneels down before a portrait of Hitler before going to bed every night

That part I've have a bit of an issue with (and I'm not jewish either) but agree with the broad comments you were making - priority is getting the best manager possible, and I'm not bothered about his personality or outside interests, as long as they're with the boundaries of common decency.

Are potential Popes questioned about whether they prefers man-to-man marking or zonal defending for corners? Doubt it (though they probably have other strong opinions on crosses), so why do we over emphasise footballers or manager's personalities?

Not having a go at you but I'm beginning to wonder whether we're looking for a new manager or a new best friend. Rodgers is too crazy, Gasperini is too old, Rangnick is (too) racist...

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less if our new boss enjoys wearing women's underwear, eats brick (Chuck Berry did and he'll rock forever!) or kneels down before a portrait of Hitler before going to bed every night. I'd like to have a good time when I watch my team and, possibly, win a thing or two once every half a century.

Of course, I understand that if we appoint a controversial personality we'll end up with the press on our backs (again) but are there really people out there who think this constant scrutiny of what an individual has said and done in his entire life is really a good thing?

Mr Gogolak, I may be mistaken but I think you mentioned at one point that you’re Croatian (or have some connection, forgive me if I’m wrong) ? In which case it would be interesting to get your views on Niko Kovac. He must’ve been highly regarded at some stage to get the Bayern job. Monaco seem to be going well with him.

That part I've have a bit of an issue with (and I'm not jewish either) but agree with the broad comments you were making - priority is getting the best manager possible, and I'm not bothered about his personality or outside interests, as long as they're with the boundaries of common decency.

Are potential Popes questioned about whether they prefers man-to-man marking or zonal defending for corners? Doubt it (though they probably have other strong opinions on crosses), so why do we over emphasise footballers or manager's personalities?

because we over emphasise our relationship with the club and feel responsible?

Dunno where to post this, but Mourinho to Roma confirmed meaning presumably we don’t have to pay him off? Might help with parting a bit more to get Rodgers…

Dunno where to post this, but Mourinho to Roma confirmed meaning presumably we don’t have to pay him off? Might help with parting a bit more to get Rodgers…

Have just moved the Mourinho thread in to Random so we can all follow Roma's fortunes in there...

From the start of next season, so likely that our gardening leave payments would stop them. WOnder whether Levy had wind that this was happening and hence the briefing about no rush to make an appointment? Now knows we'll have more cash available as you say

From the start of next season, so likely that our gardening leave payments would stop them. WOnder whether Levy had wind that this was happening and hence the briefing about no rush to make an appointment? Now knows we'll have more cash available as you say

Who said he'd be back in action very soon in France or Italy... ? Who let MrG. out? Woo, woo!

I imagine what he was suggesting was that the village where the player was from would want the player to move because of the possibility of the player receiving a windfall and as has been reported with several players from Africa over the years, they send money home.

Something I imagine does not happen with Swedish players.

Not racist really.

Mr Gogolak, I may be mistaken but I think you mentioned at one point that you’re Croatian (or have some connection, forgive me if I’m wrong) ? In which case it would be interesting to get your views on Niko Kovac. He must’ve been highly regarded at some stage to get the Bayern job. Monaco seem to be going well with him.

I am, although I spend so much time in France these days that you couldn't blame my fellow countrymen if they decided to revoke my citizenship.

First, since name dropping seems to be the name of the game these days on here, I happen to know his brother, Robert (although I wouldn't claim we're friend - I hardly met him a couple of times). I should also start with saying that I never like him much as a player.

Now, if I try to take a step back, I'd say it's difficult to form an opinion. His Bayern tenure turned out to be a fairly short one but I think, at this level, it's more about managing the egos of the superstars at the club than pulling amazing tactics out of your sleeve. I'd say Zidane's success is proof of that, as he's certainly not the sharpest tool in the box. Having said that, he had, what? Two seasons behind him as a manager when he went there? It's too soon. He's doing a lot better at Monaco with, from what I've seen, some tacticaly flexibility (they're using at least two different systems depending on the opposition) and they've scored a lot of goals.

Unfortunately, most teams in France are very defense-minded so it's a bit like being a big fish in a small pond. Also, Monaco tend to work in cycles: they buy a lot of players, sell them for a profit and don't buy much until they're flirting with disaster. Rinse and repeat. I haven't checked but depending on where they are within that cycle, he could be doing extremely well or just par for the course.

His time at Frankfurt's probably the more interesting of his three jobs. For me, there are better options out there. The Premier League is too competitive and our squad isn't good enough so we can't afford the manager to make too many mistakes. He could turn out to be a good manager, somewhere down the line but I have seen nothing that sets him apart from a lot of young-ish managers with room for improvement.

And his wife sucks, although not as much as Dino Drpic's.

I imagine what he was suggesting was that the village where the player was from would want the player to move because of the possibility of the player receiving a windfall and as has been reported with several players from Africa over the years, they send money home.

Something I imagine does not happen with Swedish players.

Not racist really.

I agree i do not see why that is racist, sad really but in todays world there are some who see racism ( WHICH IS WRONG) behind every bush.

Am i the only one who thinks that Ragnick will be brought in as dof and we'll have a head coach below him?

Apparently sacking him is now just gonna cost us 3m.

There was never any danger of a 30m payoff. Mourinho was alway going to get another job.

As Baleforce said, we all have our lines we don't want to see crossed but I think there's a difference between people throwing their 'preferences' to your face and actively looking for dirt.

Ashley Cole is a good example, I think. I hated him as a player but whatever he does with his Nokia, it's his problem, not mine. So long as they keep it private, I don't want to know. Now it would be a different story if imaginary person I mentioned came up on TV to claim his love for Hitler. On a different note, I wasn't bothered one bit by Hoddle's comments on disabled people. I'm not friends with him, so if he wants to entertain such ideas, good for him.

In Rangnick's case - and that's the point I was trying to make, albeit clumsily - it's an unfortunate comment that someone from the snowflake generation took exception with. If he never signed a black player in his life, it would be different but that's just an unfortunate way of speaking his minde, something pretty much everybody has been guilty of at least once in their lives.

Apparently sacking him is now just gonna cost us 3m.

There was never any danger of a 30m payoff. Mourinho was alway going to get another job.

Might be why he's jumped back into another role so quickly!! Not sure he's short of a bob or two though, and not many bigger teams that he could have gone to other than Roma

As Baleforce said, we all have our lines we don't want to see crossed but I think there's a difference between people throwing their 'preferences' to your face and actively looking for dirt.

Ashley Cole is a good example, I think. I hated him as a player but whatever he does with his Nokia, it's his problem, not mine. So long as they keep it private, I don't want to know. Now it would be a different story if imaginary person I mentioned came up on TV to claim his love for Hitler. On a different note, I wasn't bothered one bit by Hoddle's comments on disabled people. I'm not friends with him, so if he wants to entertain such ideas, good for him.

In Rangnick's case - and that's the point I was trying to make, albeit clumsily - it's an unfortunate comment that someone from the snowflake generation took exception with. If he never signed a black player in his life, it would be different but that's just an unfortunate way of speaking his minde, something pretty much everybody has been guilty of at least once in their lives.

Understand - I didnt see the Rangnick comment and I get your comment about people taking offense about unoffensive things nowadays. However there's social norms, albeit undefined, about what is acceptable and what isn't. We had a long discusson recently at work recently after we were told that as part of a way to manage diversity in a workplace, its ok to discuss politics and it should be encouraged. The caveat to that has to be that there are extremes where it wouldnt be acceptable. Similar with football managers - Spurs wouldnt want to be associated with what is generally viewed as extreme, and also has an image to protect. I'm hoping that our preferred candidate doesnt have extreme opinions, and can accept them being a little odd!

The Rangnick comment may or may not be racist but it sounds like racial stereotyping at the very least. I don't think one such throwaway comment should automatically preclude him from working for us as long as there's no evidence of anything else in a similar vein but it sounds to me like an inappropriate/wrong thing to say.

On Rangnick coming in as a DoF - when I was looking for reference to Levy's comment about the stadium build not impacting our transfer budget (in the Daniel Levy Chairman thread), I noticed this in the Trust meeting notes from Sept 2015 :
"KS asked if the Director of Football job still existed. DL said that it was the people rather than the titles that mattered".
Hopefully nearly 6 years down the line he may think differently on that subject.

Back