• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New TV and Soundbar

The Sonos 1 gen2 is up and running. It's decent and served its purpose. Agree with Kandi on the lack of mid range.

One problem I've encountered is the ability to play anything I want through it. The obvious quicj workaround would be to connect directly to it (with smartphone) via Bluetooth. But it doesn't have Bluetooth, wtf?. I'm talking podcasts etc. Does everything have to be searched through the Sonos app and if it's not there hard luck? (I'm android btw)

Not tried but I think you can play stuff via Apple Airplay as well, you can also play through Sonos directly from the Spotify app.

Powerline will do it but that's just another layer that can fail.

I've lost a lot of Powerline adaptors in storms (or on tripped fuses) because they can't be on surge protectors
spent the whole of yesterday dingdonging around with wifi settings in the hope i can fix it. Lots of suggestions but so far, a minor improvement with interruptions happening only every 1-2mins rather than every 30secs. Couldn't even watch MOTD in bed.

Would rather avoid the powerline route but i may end up picking some up in case Sky come over and are useless.

spent the whole of yesterday dingdonging around with wifi settings in the hope i can fix it. Lots of suggestions but so far, a minor improvement with interruptions happening only every 1-2mins rather than every 30secs. Couldn't even watch MOTD in bed.

Would rather avoid the powerline route but i may end up picking some up in case Sky come over and are useless.
Do you have to watch MOTD thru your Sky box?

Depending on how your mains cables have been run, it's theoretically possible to pull the old ones through, bringing a new one and some CAT6 with it.

A lot of work to make up for Sky being clams though.

Learned that myself the hard way.

You have 3 options:
  1. Use Sky broadband (brick, but no worse than BT)
  2. Place extenders everywhere
  3. Run cable or powerline everywhere.
I have BT broadband and after a long stint of now tv have signed up for Sky from Dec 15 - what exactly is the conflict between BT broadband and the sky boxes?

I have BT broadband and after a long stint of now tv have signed up for Sky from Dec 15 - what exactly is the conflict between BT broadband and the sky boxes?
Sky Q boxes and mini boxes work together to create a WiFi mesh in order to handle the high bitrates needed for HD.

If you don't use Sky Broadband, the feature disables itself and you have to ensure you have a strong and reliable connection between them all.

Yep. I think you have to have the app to work the thing. Do find the app a bit clunky.

Really just to want to be able to select it as the audio output for anything I want to listen to.
Go to the app, add music service, pick from about 30 sources and just install them in.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3459?language=en_US

You can then select some as favourites so they always appear on the first tab. Useful for radio stations.

I use Alexa and can add the Sonos as her automatic output speaker for music.

It’s not been as good since bbc went off it, and I also use tidal which doesn’t have Alexa Sonos support in the uk. (so have to use the app).

If you want Spotify, Apple, Amazon music etc though that’s all there.

I can also steam directly from the Tidal app to any Sonos. Presume Spotify etc work the same. Edit - confirmed above by PD.

Hope that helps matey.

Edit. Just installed google home App and that also picks up the Sonos’s as destinations.

Last edited:
Go to the app, add music service, pick from about 30 sources and just install them in.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3459?language=en_US

You can then select some as favourites so they always appear on the first tab. Useful for radio stations.

I use Alexa and can add the Sonos as her automatic output speaker for music.

It’s not been as good since bbc went off it, and I also use tidal which doesn’t have Alexa Sonos support in the uk. (so have to use the app).

If you want Spotify, Apple, Amazon music etc though that’s all there.

I can also steam directly from the Tidal app to any Sonos. Presume Spotify etc work the same. Edit - confirmed above by PD.

Hope that helps matey.

Edit. Just installed google home App and that also picks up the Sonos’s as destinations.
Thanks mate.

I think considering its 'just' a speaker it's a little limiting that you have to go through the Sonos app to discover what you can and can't stream.
So much has a Bluetooth connection these days, (it's hardly expensive tech) if the Sonos 1 did at least you could play what you liked thru it from any device as a second method of connectivity. I not sure if playing stuff across Bluetooth is as good quality but for podcasts etc that really isn't a problem.

By BBC did you mean BBC Sounds? At least BBC 6 Music comes up as radio wise that's all I listen to.

I'll look at the Google home thing as maybe I can filter stuff thru that route.

I have a UE Boom portable wireless speaker and wireless headphones so it's not the end of the world.

(In fact headphones are great for accidentally ignoring the wife :D)

Thanks mate.

I think considering its 'just' a speaker it's a little limiting that you have to go through the Sonos app to discover what you can and can't stream.
So much has a Bluetooth connection these days, (it's hardly expensive tech) if the Sonos 1 did at least you could play what you liked thru it from any device as a second method of connectivity. I not sure if playing stuff across Bluetooth is as good quality but for podcasts etc that really isn't a problem.

By BBC did you mean BBC Sounds? At least BBC 6 Music comes up as radio wise that's all I listen to.

I have a UE Boom portable wireless speaker and wireless headphones so it's not the end of the world.

I guess if you’re going to your phone to then stream over Bluetooth, you’re in an app anyway, so arguably much the same difference. Except with WiFi you can be anywhere in the house, where BT has you limited to 10 metres.

With regards to bbc. Sorry should have explained better - I actually meant the TuneIn Radio app which is used to power a lot of the stations, fell out with the beeb last year so effectively was rendered redundant for Sonos.
Just checked though and it looks like they’re back via either Sonos Radio and/Or TuneIn.

Agreed ref headphones + 2 kids! :)

Last edited:
Got it. Go to ‘Podcasts’ in the Sonos app, search the title, it’ll bring up TuneIn Radio app, then just click into the options it brings up and then play the episode you want !

upload_2020-12-9_23-35-57.png

upload_2020-12-9_23-34-54.png

I guess if you’re going to your phone to then stream over Bluetooth, you’re in an app anyway, so arguably much the same difference. Except with WiFi you can be anywhere in the house, where BT has you limited to 10 metres.
Good point re the 10 metres. Just would be handy to be able to choose the speaker as the output for anything your doing.

All the BBC stations come up when searched under the Sonos radio tab.

Good point re the 10 metres. Just would be handy to be able to choose the speaker as the output for anything your doing.

All the BBC stations come up when searched under the Sonos radio tab.
Yes. Was just editing above on that actually. Looks fixed now. Good times.

Got it. Go to ‘Podcasts’ in the Sonos app, search the title, it’ll bring up TuneIn Radio app, then just click into the options it brings up and then play the episode you want !

View attachment 10208

View attachment 10207
Cheers...just did that and although it's not my usual podcast player it'll certainly do the job. Most of what I listen to appears to be in there.

Can't appear to find the GG pod though:cool::D

Not sure if it's noticeable on a Sonos, but Bluetooth isn't lossless either.

If you've gone through the effort of finding lossless music, there's no point in streaming it over Bluetooth.

Thanks mate.

I have not tried Sonos yet.
I have a HomePod speaker which is surprisingly good (albeit if one tends to rabbit hole into conspiracy theories, Siri would hear all), I got gifted a Xounts speaker which is intriguing and pretty decent, but if I really want to hear things clearly, I go to another set of headphones I was sent, the Sony WH1000XM3's, and those are very good. For fun listening I use Beats Studio cans (albeit the sound is "cooked" for fun) and when cycling I use either the Powerbeats pro or Beats X earbuds. A speaker I'd take on the road was the Bose SoundLink, which I've had for getting on 8 years and which remains really, really good (plus the finish is quality) and I also have a small rubber-coated Sony $50 throwaway which exceeds it's tag. I also have some Bose cans which are pretty good, and I am tempted to splash for the Bowers & Wilkins high grade ones (I have p5s and p3s which are really really good).

I have a headphone problem, the family laugh about it, but fudge me, it saves my sanity given. lockdown!!!!

Not sure if it's noticeable on a Sonos, but Bluetooth isn't lossless either.

If you've gone through the effort of finding lossless music, there's no point in streaming it over Bluetooth.

On point.

I won't even bother complaining about sound quality when I use bluetooth. The tech is all about convenience, and frankly, it is a miracle it sounds as good as it does. Given that I work generally with single "stereo!" speakers and headphones, I am looking for balance more than anything. For audiophile territory my old tube amp and old school B&W speakers lead the way.

I have not tried Sonos yet.
I have a HomePod speaker which is surprisingly good (albeit if one tends to rabbit hole into conspiracy theories, Siri would hear all), I got gifted a Xounts speaker which is intriguing and pretty decent, but if I really want to hear things clearly, I go to another set of headphones I was sent, the Sony WH1000XM3's, and those are very good. For fun listening I use Beats Studio cans (albeit the sound is "cooked" for fun) and when cycling I use either the Powerbeats pro or Beats X earbuds. A speaker I'd take on the road was the Bose SoundLink, which I've had for getting on 8 years and which remains really, really good (plus the finish is quality) and I also have a small rubber-coated Sony $50 throwaway which exceeds it's tag. I also have some Bose cans which are pretty good, and I am tempted to splash for the Bowers & Wilkins high grade ones (I have p5s and p3s which are really really good).

I have a headphone problem, the family laugh about it, but fudge me, it saves my sanity given. lockdown!!!!
I must say it does sound like you're short of options :D

On point.

I won't even bother complaining about sound quality when I use bluetooth. The tech is all about convenience, and frankly, it is a miracle it sounds as good as it does. Given that I work generally with single "stereo!" speakers and headphones, I am looking for balance more than anything. For audiophile territory my old tube amp and old school B&W speakers lead the way.
I'm currently working on upgrading a pair of B&W 602's for a friend. Doesn't take much to improve them. They're ridiculously overpriced for how they're made. The cabinets are real cheap fiber board, and not even MDF! And the cabinet ring like a bell. No bracing whatsoever in them! I was quite surprised. And the x-over is one of the cheapest I've ever seen. Dental floss sized inductors and bottom level parts all round. Even the binding posts were full of magnetic metal.
100£ on upgraded parts, and it will be 10 levels better. Also gonna add a notch filter to bring down the higher frequencies a couple of dB, as they are quite "shouty" at the top end, as all B&B's are.
I just can't understand how and why they get away with using such crap parts in an otherwise OK speaker. Changing the parts and stiffening the cabinet will take it from OK to Great!

Back