• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New TV and Soundbar

Sonos is a product that will never enter my house. Same with Bose. Brilliant tech, but awful sound. All bass and treble, but absolutely no precence in the important mid section, and very litte sense of "space" in the sound.
Not really a surprise, considering the low quality parts inside the speakers.

Sonos is a product that will never enter my house. Same with Bose. Brilliant tech, but awful sound. All bass and treble, but absolutely no precence in the important mid section, and very litte sense of "space" in the sound.
Both excellent products if you want a simple setup (Sonos) or a stylish, minimalist look (Bose) but don't mind compromising on sound.

Both excellent products if you want a simple setup (Sonos) or a stylish, minimalist look (Bose) but don't mind compromising on sound.
I've made similar products myself (even better looking imo) with buying drawings from Soundblab. I've made two versions of the setup in the video. One with built-in amps, and one passive. In the passive version I went for pretty decent quality parts in the crossover. Only poly-/sonic capasitators, air inductors and good resistors, and the sound was 10 times better than the ones with built in amps.
I'm currently looking for decent amps with a good dsp for such use, but I'm yet to find one. And using expensive x-over parts with a built in amp is just a waste of money, as the amps are pretty crap.
It's the same as with the sonos type products. The tech is getting good in such parts, but they sound terrible.

So it turns out Sky Q and Sky Q Miniboxes are absolutely fudging brick with BT Broadband. clams. clams everywhere.
Learned that myself the hard way.

You have 3 options:
  1. Use Sky broadband (brick, but no worse than BT)
  2. Place extenders everywhere
  3. Run cable or powerline everywhere.

Learned that myself the hard way.

You have 3 options:
  1. Use Sky broadband (brick, but no worse than BT)
  2. Place extenders everywhere
  3. Run cable or powerline everywhere.

FFS... only switched to BT Broadband a year or so ago. However i'd rather return to Sky than Extenders and deffo not running cables, my entire house has none on visible display, not going to change that anytime soon.

FFS... only switched to BT Broadband a year or so ago. However i'd rather return to Sky than Extenders and deffo not running cables, my entire house has none on visible display, not going to change that anytime soon.
Powerline will do it but that's just another layer that can fail.

I've lost a lot of Powerline adaptors in storms (or on tripped fuses) because they can't be on surge protectors

Have you got it working yet?

The Sonos 1 gen2 is up and running. It's decent and served its purpose. Agree with Kandi on the lack of mid range.

One problem I've encountered is the ability to play anything I want through it. The obvious quicj workaround would be to connect directly to it (with smartphone) via Bluetooth. But it doesn't have Bluetooth, wtf?. I'm talking podcasts etc. Does everything have to be searched through the Sonos app and if it's not there hard luck? (I'm android btw)

The Sonos 1 gen2 is up and running. It's decent and served its purpose. Agree with Kandi on the lack of mid range.

One problem I've encountered is the ability to play anything I want through it. The obvious quicj workaround would be to connect directly to it (with smartphone) via Bluetooth. But it doesn't have Bluetooth, wtf?. I'm talking podcasts etc. Does everything have to be searched through the Sonos app and if it's not there hard luck? (I'm android btw)

Mine was nabbed by 'The Mrs ':( and is now under our virtual (Harry the dog kills trees) Chrismas tree.
Android might be a problem but I'm OS. Let you know more later

Last edited:

My parents use Sonos and I believe (although it was some time ago that I set it up) that they had to move their podcasts to Google Play in order to play them.

Google Play isn't very good for podcasts - it doesn't nearly have the feature set that something dedicated like PocketCasts has.

Back