• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New TV and Soundbar

My wife can’t handle the disparate kit and harmony remote set ups either.

However I’ve found that using the tv remote (LG 55E6OLED as @elyid says!) with HDMI-CEC enabled on all devices means she needs nothing else to operate the whole system.

CEC turns on the Yamaha AVR (A3060) when the TV is turned on, so the AVR sound is seamlessly linked to the TV picture. (Just use HDMI 2 Out ARC).

Then selecting the right input source on the TV (Apple TV, Oppo Blu-ray etc) just means the remote now controls that device as well as the AVR volume.

Basically, she points the same remote and it sorts everything out without her having to understand what’s in the cabinet!

So if your surround separates is good as it sounds, just lump on the OLED and feck the sound bar off!

ta
My Yamaha Ax2400 has no HDMI it's old (Ill double-check the manual in the morning)
But if true I think it scuppers your excellent idea?

Currently looking to buy a new TV for around £800. mainly used for Sky Sport and terrestrial on Sky HD box + Fire TV 4k for Netflix etc. Network hard-wired. Apple app would be nice.
50-55" quite a bright room with slightly angled viewing.
+
Soundbar with sub also used for streaming music from Alexa Amazon PLEX - around £600.

55" TV are available for a lot less than £800, good quality and apps built in.
If its just for stereo you could also go down the route of a slim av receiver and bookshelf speakers. Not so big and better sound. As Jon suggested set it up CEC and it's pretty simple to use.

ta
My Yamaha Ax2400 has no HDMI it's old (Ill double-check the manual in the morning)
But if true I think it scuppers your excellent idea?
You don't need HDMI on your receiver.

Plug everything into your TV and have your TV remote control it all. Then use the optical out from the TV to the receiver.

You don't need HDMI on your receiver.

Plug everything into your TV and have your TV remote control it all. Then use the optical out from the TV to the receiver.
You need ARC running between the TV and AVR which only runs over HDMI. Optical also won’t carry some of the higher bandwidth codecs like Atmos.
:-(

You need ARC running between the TV and AVR which only runs over HDMI. Optical also won’t carry some of the higher bandwidth codecs like Atmos.
Why ARC? He's not running video through the amp, everything's plugged into the TV. He just needs to use the optical out on the TV as input to the amp and leave the amp on that input.

I'd rather have 5.1 speakers running an older codec than 1.1 running the latest and greatest.

Sadly Jon not an option. We don't watch that many films to warrant the wiz-bang sounds. I'm not saying it's not great but not for me.
We continue......

Why ARC? He's not running video through the amp, everything's plugged into the TV. He just needs to use the optical out on the TV as input to the amp and leave the amp on that input.

I'd rather have 5.1 speakers running an older codec than 1.1 running the latest and greatest.

So let clarify.

Just a single optical down to current Yami VX2400 and no 'in-amp' switching required?

So, new TV remote, turns on TV + AMP + SKY and FireTV.

HDMI to TV
Sky HD
Fire TV 4K

Which TV remotes do this?

Which TV?

Sadly Jon not an option. We don't watch that many films to warrant the wiz-bang sounds. I'm not saying it's not great but not for me.
We continue......

So let clarify.

Just a single optical down to current Yami VX2400 and no 'in-amp' switching required?

So, new TV remote, turns on TV + AMP + SKY and FireTV.

HDMI to TV
Sky HD
Fire TV 4K

Which TV remotes do this?

Which TV?
I think your plan for one remote is ambitious. AFAIK, Sky boxes cannot be controlled via HDMI CEC. Your sky remote can turn the TV on and off, and control the volume on your amp but will not control FireTV.

Your TV could control FireTV but not Sky.

So unless someone else here knows a clever trick for getting Sky to listen to CEC then I think you'll still need an "All in one" remote or two remotes.

I think your plan for one remote is ambitious. AFAIK, Sky boxes cannot be controlled via HDMI CEC. Your sky remote can turn the TV on and off, and control the volume on your amp but will not control FireTV.

Your TV could control FireTV but not Sky.

So unless someone else here knows a clever trick for getting Sky to listen to CEC then I think you'll still need an "All in one" remote or two remotes.

The remote is the current problem. The Logitech Elite 'all in one' is the big problem. Too flakey for the non-techies out there if I'm being honest.

The remote is the current problem. The Logitech Elite 'all in one' is the big problem. Too flakey for the non-techies out there if I'm being honest.

I've never done it and not sure how common or good they are but at one stage it was fairly common for av equipment to have learning remotes.
Never got on with the harmony remotes either, chucked them out in the end.

Do you need a separate box for sky? do they not have CA module cards you plug directly into the TV? Recording can be done to a USB stick on the TV. That way everything is controlled by TV remote.

Do you need a separate box for sky? do they not have CA module cards you plug directly into the TV? Recording can be done to a USB stick on the TV. That way everything is controlled by TV remote.
Sky requires a box. You can use a CAM for a short amount of time but it will be bricked fairly quickly.

Just asked some questions on the Sky forum and "My magic remote just auto detects my Sky Box when I change to the HDMI input of the box, the … button gives additional sky functions that the standard buttons do not"
And "My LG TV & Magic remote needed zero setup out of the box"

Yeah, we have all fallen for that but it sounds promising.

ATM I'm tempted by https://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/...QornyQx_MDnWMTXlzAAXFzciniNdhoroosterQAvD_BwE

Everything HDMI'ed into the TV and an Optical into Yami Amp.

Last edited:
I've never done it and not sure how common or good they are but at one stage it was fairly common for av equipment to have learning remotes.
Never got on with the harmony remotes either, chucked them out in the end.

weapon of choice is the older Philips Pronto’s - still got a working model in the den with another very very old TV cinema set up nearly 18 yo!

weapon of choice is the older Philips Pronto’s - still got a working model in the den with another very very old TV cinema set up nearly 18 yo!
FWIW if you live in a Virgin Media cabled area, then their TiVo V6 boxes have Netflix and Amazon Prime apps built in...

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/how-to-watch-amazon-prime-on-virgin-tv

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/how-to-watch-netflix

then all you’ve got to do is find the correct code for your telly & amplifier so everything can be done with TiVo remote...

FWIW if you live in a Virgin Media cabled area, then their TiVo V6 boxes have Netflix and Amazon Prime apps built in...

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/how-to-watch-amazon-prime-on-virgin-tv

then all you’ve got to do is find the correct code for your telly & amplifier so everything can be done with TiVo remote...

If only Sky would implement Amazon on their boxes I could do the same.

I just meant to set it up like mine, so I can be sure that the remote will cover all and you’ll also get the best sound available, every time, with no extra effort required.
However, having seen the other comments re something called a “Sky Box” I’ll caveat that it that I didn’t mention one of those in my set up!

Ive just used the LG built in iptv and nowtv apps for ages now, and an Apple TV and Oppo Blu-ray for all streaming and physical requirements.

Sky is your problem. It doesn't play nicely with the other equipment.
I remember when NowTv was a rebadged Roku box only and the fudging things had forced switch over built into its hdmi. Problem with that was it broadcast constantly and stopped ALL hdmi functionality working on every device anywhere on the chain! fudging awful.
£10 box that I had to pay £25 extra for to buy a device to dampen and block the broadcast! :D:D

That looks a decent solution.

Like iptv, just far more expensive. :D

Back