• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New TV and Soundbar

I guess people hear what they want to hear and are persuaded by the branding / look?
Probably. But it's quite hilarious when the description/advertising reads "top quality parts to ensure a unique and bla bla bla"
and when you open it up, it's the cheapest junk you can find.

I'm currently working on upgrading a pair of B&W 602's for a friend. Doesn't take much to improve them. They're ridiculously overpriced for how they're made. The cabinets are real cheap fiber board, and not even MDF! And the cabinet ring like a bell. No bracing whatsoever in them! I was quite surprised. And the x-over is one of the cheapest I've ever seen. Dental floss sized inductors and bottom level parts all round. Even the binding posts were full of magnetic metal.
100£ on upgraded parts, and it will be 10 levels better. Also gonna add a notch filter to bring down the higher frequencies a couple of dB, as they are quite "shouty" at the top end, as all B&B's are.
I just can't understand how and why they get away with using such crap parts in an otherwise OK speaker. Changing the parts and stiffening the cabinet will take it from OK to Great!

To clarify, I was talking about an old pair of DM 220s (book shelf jobs) which are pretty great. I grew up with Goodmans speakers, a Quad 33 pre-amp and a 303 power amp. The sound was EXACTLY what the record contained, not an inch more. Pretty great.

To clarify, I was talking about an old pair of DM 220s (book shelf jobs) which are pretty great. I grew up with Goodmans speakers, a Quad 33 pre-amp and a 303 power amp. The sound was EXACTLY what the record contained, not an inch more. Pretty great.
Yeah, The old DM series is decent stuff! It's the late 90's and up to around 2010 models that are utter crap. The newer models are much improved, although they are also made to fit a price point, and with a profit margin of around 1000%

Yeah, The old DM series is decent stuff! It's the late 90's and up to around 2010 models that are utter crap. The newer models are much improved, although they are also made to fit a price point, and with a profit margin of around 1000%

I have not heard their newer speakers TBH...only p3 and p5 headphones. Sounds about right mate. As for mark-up, oh for sure I believe that. Beats are the guiltiest?

Back