• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

New music?

If we’re going to talk about Nina Simone and Janis Joplin in the new music thread, I’d recommend you crazy kids check out some Ella Fitzgerald and Debussy out.

The cut off is the baroque period right?
There is Baroque pop. Is there a general music thread?
I'm not aware of the new/not new music cut off point.

I’ve worked with some dance acts and it’s 100% twiddle for twiddle sakes
So much of it is pre set and sat on the laptops
I went to see everything everything tonight in a Tiny Local venue and one of their laptops died… they openly said they were fudged until it was fixednd they play with 4 live instruments on top
That is very cool.
We're you a garage head Bedford?

That is very cool.
Nah not at all
More indie rock. My band were likened to the killers at one time
But randomly locally we have a big drum and bass thing (or did) and I played bass and keys with a few acts in some live gigs
Was hard work as so much was done on the fly and I didnt know their songs that well. I was justhelping out a mate
We do locally have a “garage scene” as DJ spoony lives local so hosts nights but it’s not my thing

That is very cool.
Random one…
I know a guy called a Simon Rinaldo. Did my apprenticeship wit( him and he is a big organ and keyboard player. Got loads of vintage stuff and plays a lot of modern blues gigs now with his band.
Anyhow… last 90s he was asked to do some session work over a few evenings with some “bird” from Murica… he could jus5 hop on the train as it was next to work so he did a few nights in London whilst she was recording here. The album was songs in A Minor by Alicia Keys and he wasn’t even credited on it as he was basically jamming some songs. I vividly remember him saying that I was okay I go with the gorgeous black lady and she was playing with my hair whilst singing… he has a mop of big curls
But of course at the time none of us had heard of her. He also did gig with Madonna who he said was a clam… that’s his words

I’ve worked with some dance acts and it’s 100% twiddle for twiddle sakes
So much of it is pre set and sat on the laptops
I went to see everything everything tonight in a Tiny Local venue and one of their laptops died… they openly said they were fudged until it was fixed and they play with 4 live instruments on top
My scene in the early 90s was Megadog at the Rocket on Holloway road and then when it got a bit bigger at Brixton Acadamy.
That whole scene was staunchly about the live thing. Underworld, The Grid, Suns of Arqua among tons of others it was all about making the rave scene live.

My scene in the early 90s was Megadog at the Rocket on Holloway road and then when it got a bit bigger at Brixton Acadamy.
That whole scene was staunchly about the live thing. Underworld, The Grid, Suns of Arqua among tons of others it was all about making the rave scene live.
Underworld were quite intense live
Lots of those bands were
They all see ed to come out of the sound system genre with so much gear.
the prodigy had a fudge load of people and instruments in stage when I saw them
I remember going to see Pendulum and the drum rig was mental .. or it may have been Unkle. It was big round set up around the drums with various trigger pads and other percussion
I also remember being back stage at an Ian brown gig in Cambridge and I was chatting to a roadie … biggest headache after all the drums was the keys, synths and sequencers… it was like a computer lab
When I played I used the bass clean with a line 6 pedal that could do most things well and the keys were mainly controlling garage band off an iPad or using my Microkorg

Random one…
I know a guy called a Simon Rinaldo. Did my apprenticeship wit( him and he is a big organ and keyboard player. Got loads of vintage stuff and plays a lot of modern blues gigs now with his band.
Anyhow… last 90s he was asked to do some session work over a few evenings with some “bird” from Murica… he could jus5 hop on the train as it was next to work so he did a few nights in London whilst she was recording here. The album was songs in A Minor by Alicia Keys and he wasn’t even credited on it as he was basically jamming some songs. I vividly remember him saying that I was okay I go with the gorgeous black lady and she was playing with my hair whilst singing… he has a mop of big curls
But of course at the time none of us had heard of her. He also did gig with Madonna who he said was a clam… that’s his words
That's so cool. One of my few claims to fame is one of my best pals is one half of The Artful Dodger.

There is Baroque pop. Is there a general music thread?
I'm not aware of the new/not new music cut off point.

I am also unaware of whether there is a general music thread or what that would really entail timeline wise... Great music is timeless and luckily a lot of the good stuff has been recorded.

My somewhat moany post says more about me than it does this forum, but it still irritates me there’s a Bale thread in Spurs News and Views when he isn’t currently our player..

Lots of those bands were
I remember going to see Pendulum and the drum rig was mental .. or it may have been Unkle. It was big round set up around the drums with various trigger pads and other percussion
I also remember being back stage at an Ian brown gig in Cambridge and I was chatting to a roadie … biggest headache after all the drums was the keys, synths and sequencers… it was like a computer lab
When I played I used the bass clean with a line 6 pedal that could do most things well and the keys were mainly controlling garage band off an iPad or using my Microkorg
Wow you know your brick. Underworld were hard, Skyscraper is one of the greatest dance tracks ever for me but it's intense.

I am also unaware of whether there is a general music thread or what that would really entail timeline wise... Great music is timeless and luckily a lot of the good stuff has been recorded.

My somewhat moany post says more about me than it does this forum, but it still irritates me there’s a Bale thread in Spurs News and Views when he isn’t currently our player..
I love this forum, easily the best, the beauty being you can vent a little here and people will respect nuance in comments. We live in a stupidly polarised world but somehow glory glory keeps things relatively balanced.

Lots of those bands were
That's so cool. I grew up around the sound system vibe, my mum's work was in Streatham and she was this
Sexy blond driving a MGB roof down with me in the back and that whole Brixton to Streatham high road was sound systems.
I used to go to the Deptford free festival every year, had some great sound systems.

That's so cool. I grew up around the sound system vibe, my mum's work was in Streatham and she was this
Sexy blond driving a MGB roof down with me in the back and that whole Brixton to Streatham high road was sound systems.
I used to go to the Deptford free festival every year, had some great sound systems.
I went to see the On U sound system when I was 14 at a local venue and it was an odd experience as I was a kid and I was into RHCP, beastie boys and acid house
I didn’t really have a clue to be honest big it was music and it was live ish…. they had a hit song Human Nature and Gary Clail new some friends of the family
I also got into a bit of acid jazz as I knew the djs
Very different eras of music
It’s why a few years back me and a mate went to see prodigy in a Saturday, sugarhill gang on the Thursday and a Nirvana tribute following Saturday…. Then arrested development the Thursday after (with the wives this time)
Quite eclectic

I went to see the On U sound system when I was 14 at a local venue and it was an odd experience as I was a kid and I was into RHCP, beastie boys and acid house
I didn’t really have a clue to be honest big it was music and it was live ish…. they had a hit song Human Nature and Gary Clail new some friends of the family
I also got into a bit of acid jazz as I knew the djs
Very different eras of music
It’s why a few years back me and a mate went to see prodigy in a Saturday, sugarhill gang on the Thursday and a Nirvana tribute following Saturday…. Then arrested development the Thursday after (with the wives this time)
Quite eclectic
Ha ha yep that is pretty eclectic. It's funny how in the past kids aligned themselves with a specific genre as a search for identity, I think that has changed in a big way, it's so much easier now to find obscure musical influences, the youngsters I talk to have a far more broad minded and eclectic, unpretentious outlook on music and culture in general than I did in my teens. I'm really hoping that open minded attitude translates into some great bands in the future.

Ha ha yep that is pretty eclectic. It's funny how in the past kids aligned themselves with a specific genre as a search for identity, I think that has changed in a big way, it's so much easier now to find obscure musical influences, the youngsters I talk to have a far more broad minded and eclectic, unpretentious outlook on music and culture in general than I did in my teens. I'm really hoping that open minded attitude translates into some great bands in the future.

Music is easier to create now
My daughter makes songs on an iPad
They are crap song but it’s creativity and it’s accessible tech that allows it

Music is easier to create now
My daughter makes songs on an iPad
They are crap song but it’s creativity and it’s accessible tech that allows it
Absolutely but I was more referring to how easy it is to now listen to music that in the past was only ever played by the likes of John Peel. The only way I was hearing stuff I now love was by hanging out in record shops like Sister Ray or Rough Trade back in the 90s.

Absolutely but I was more referring to how easy it is to now listen to music that in the past was only ever played by the likes of John Peel. The only way I was hearing stuff I now love was by hanging out in record shops like Sister Ray or Rough Trade back in the 90s.
Yeah or stealing my dads records
I was lucky I had a few friends parent who were DJs

I used to listen to radio Caroline a lot. Stopped listening to music on the radio when Out on Blue Six came to an end. I was never that keen on John Peel, though I appreciated what he was trying to do. Don't understand a lot of this modern stuff all to tech-driven, bass heavy and shouty for me. I find new music on places like Mix Cloud or YouTube nowadays. Surprising how much good stuff is out there really.

I used to listen to radio Caroline a lot. Stopped listening to music on the radio when Out on Blue Six came to an end. I was never that keen on John Peel, though I appreciated what he was trying to do. Don't understand a lot of this modern stuff all to tech-driven, bass heavy and shouty for me. I find new music on places like Mix Cloud or YouTube nowadays. Surprising how much good stuff is out there really.
There's tons of great stuff out there. To me it's amazing that I can find stuff now that I just never would have in the past.
What didn't you like about John Peel?
I used to get my poor mum to record John Peel's show for me on cassette because I was always out which meant she also had to listen to the show. Quite funny that my very conservative mum was probably one the first fans of The White Stripes. She also ended up quite liking some really hard Techno trance stuff like Spiral Tribe. Now't queer as folk.

As far as new music goes I've forced myself to give drill a go. Generally hate it but have to admit Baby Mane is a very talented lad.
I just find that scene so tragic. Age showimg I guess.

Back