1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

New Contracts

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Gutter Boy, 16 May 2018.

1. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

BoL put it much better than I have, but I think a comparison should be made with Dembele, as they are the same style player. When Dembele was the same age and build as Onomah he was being used as a winger. Only when he got his strength later into his 20s did he become the CM beast he is now. You can't say Dembele uses no contact - it's just all upper body. That's exactly what Onomah does to his peers, but not yet to adults

2. harr1984

harr1984 Steve Carr

That’s all fine, but we need a Dembele successor now - even if Onomah does develop into that player that’s a good few years away. We don’t have time to wait for him to develop (not suggesting that means selling him), but we need someone of real quality in the middle of the park now....

3. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Tom Huddlestone

The "why" is entirely the point, and thats why its relevant.

Two young players, playing in the same area of the field, one gets a chance there and the other doesnt.

Why?

What distinguishes one from the other?

This is the trouble you run into when you try and pigeon hole players into nice little boxes, or define them by other players.

Winks is smaller, yes. And Winks is more of a passer, yes. Winks also gets closed down constantly, has to shield the ball constantly, dibbles through/round players...

...Essentially, while it might not be his primary attribute, he still does a hell of a lot of what Onomah does. And he does it just fine. So this whole "Onomah needs to bulk up before he can play" thing simply doesnt wash for me.

He is already bigger and stronger than Winks, and we all know he has ability, its not a reason for him to not play.

I dont think he has an attitude problem, lets be clear. I think its a mindset/meteorology/belief thing.

I have no doubt he is enthusiastic as hell, a consumate professional, could be first on the training field/last off - all of that. I dont argue otherwise.

My belief, based on whenever Ive seen him play, is that he lacks that confidence, the aggression to assert himself. He is too passive, to nice, to gentle.

If he can "bulk up" mentally, I would have every confidence in him making a fair run at the team, as you say.

harr1984 likes this.
  4. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

Well i guess we will see if he progresses here, from what i have seen in his games for us he does not look a stand out player. And despite what some say he has not been outstanding at Villa ( i may be wrong but i do not think he took part in the play off games so far), you would think IF he was doing that well he would have took part in those games.

5. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Luka Modric

Not sure I’d agree about the Villa thing but certainly everything else you have said

Villa would rather play cloggers under Bruce in midfield and play Onomah as a winger ... poor loan all in all

6. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

Fair points, i just think that over the seasons we as Spurs fans tend to overate some of our youngsters, i understand why we do that but as i have said before i have not seen Onomah produce any thing like we have seen from other youngsters over those years.

He could still g on and be a star for us but we have moved on as a team and i do not know if he will be given more chances to do so.

I do agree that the loan was a poor one and its not the first time we have done it. ( could never understand why we sent Pritchard to WBA as i thought that would never work out)

7. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Luka Modric

Onomah playing centre mid in his age group is amazing

Onomah playing wide attack vs men is awful

The games he has played better mid for Villa he has had good to great feedback form what I’ve read

8. parklane1

parklane1 Andy Thompson

You are right about age groups but we both know its a big step up to the first team/ age difference. And i admit have not seen a lot of Villa so can not speak from watching him but again IF he was that good/important you would think he would be one of the first on the team sheet. I am not a fan of Bruce but he is not daft and if he had a special player available then you would use him as a focal point.

As i say he may go on and make a name for himself but i am not convinced he will do that here.

harr1984 likes this.
  9. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Luka Modric

I think he is a couple of years away form making it big could easily fall behind by that point

Their are young lads like Skipp coming through who have the hunger and desire I’ve not seen from Onomah

10. billyiddo

billyiddo Paul Stewart Staff Member

Whether he's played well or not on loan doesn't really concern me and id hazard a guess to say that it isn't really important to the club either - the important thing is what he shows once he is back on the training field in front of the manager here at Spurs

11. Denmark Spur

Denmark Spur Mitchell Thomas

Are we allowed socalled "ITK" in this thread?

Eriksen, Dele and Kane have all signed new contracts according to the "In-The-Know" guys over at Spurs Community.

12. djp82

djp82 Naybet

Eriksen’s Agents comments make me think different.
    “The only thing I can say is that concerning the interest of several clubs in Christian is that we prefer not to comment.”

Hope it’s just Agent waffle. But looks like he’s looking to engineer more money or a move who knows.

Eriksen is to important to our side to sell

13. AdamB

AdamB Cecil Poynton

What would be the point of not announcing them? New signings asking for higher wages if they know that these guys have signed new deals? Not sure what else I can think of...announcing them would help kill the speculation around Eriksen leaving

14. milo

milo Vivian Woodward Staff Member

It would probably just be down to timing the press conference and maybe availability of Poch etc.

15. ShipOfTheseus

ShipOfTheseus Steed Malbranque

Hanging on to announce Toby’s new contract as well? Anyway, all this goat stuff is gonad*s on stilts.

16. Yiddo

Yiddo Dean Richards

Eriksen, Alli and Kane will all sign new contracts and Toby’s new contract will be announced inbetween them.

Also Danny Rose will sign a new contract aswell.

17. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

Don't believe it - I put it on there when I was bored this afternoon. Feeding the Goat is up there with giving loose change to smartly-dressed people sat in public spaces, as one of my favourite random hobbies.

parklane1, DeleHarry and BrainOfLevy like this.
  18. DeleHarry

DeleHarry Jose Dominguez

We don't do press conferences for new contracts. ......not even for new signings

Gutter Boy likes this.
  19. Gutter Boy

Gutter Boy Tim Sherwood

We don't even do pictures with Poch any more. It's just a twitter post now.

All our players are in the custody of their national sides now too, so wouldn't be doing club commitments

20. DeleHarry

DeleHarry Jose Dominguez

Very true