• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

NEOM

But its a bit of a moral dilemma... assuming its the saudi government, its a bit like working for SA when they were locking Mandela up, or maybe the taliban with money.

Exactly this, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to design an automated cities systems but I’m not sure it out weighs working for the Saudi government

If you being morals and ethics in to who you work for then you can always find a reason not to work for someone. The Saudi govt is horrid. But can you imagine what Iraqis think of our government?

As long as you aren't directly involved in enabling evil acts then just go with the money.

Have to say the potential for tourism there is huge. The red sea is beautiful and largely unspoiled. Not far from Europe with year-round sun. Dive in the water and the coral reefs are some of the most exotic in the world probably matched only by the Barrier Reef.

In terms of working there, I'd go for it. Will be a pioneer. There won't be much out there now. And it doesn't have a history. But working there over the winter would be interesting. Depends on the role, how long you have to be in post etc.

Have to say the potential for tourism there is huge. The red sea is beautiful and largely unspoiled. Not far from Europe with year-round sun. Dive in the water and the coral reefs are some of the most exotic in the world probably matched only by the Barrier Reef.

What about the sharks ? Eh didn't think of that did you laddie did you.

Well I’ll see what they have to say when I speak to them again next week.
Just for clarity, this isn’t a few months work in the sun, it’s 2 to 3 years of living and breathing the job 12+hrs a day 6 days a week.

Anyhoo I can top up on my diving on my day off

Well I’ll see what they have to say when I speak to them again next week.
Just for clarity, this isn’t a few months work in the sun, it’s 2 to 3 years of living and breathing the job 12+hrs a day 6 days a week.

Anyhoo I can top up on my diving on my day off

Yeh and plenty of cheap flights to beer swelling neighbours

Exactly this, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to design an automated cities systems but I’m not sure it out weighs working for the Saudi government

Thats the thing. As moral as I think I am, and I would would probably say no to double or triple my earnings... if the offered 10× my earnings i would probably agree. Which reminds me of the supposed Churchill quote which was something like this:

We already know you are a fluffy bunnies cuddling... but now we are negotiating on the price.

The fluffy bunnies cuddling reference is nothing to do with you or your decision, but more my realisation... that despite what I think is my moral fortitude, for the right amount of money I probably would sell out.

Are Saudi worse than China and what they are doing? Would your work for the Chinese?

How about Russia? In fact... what about what we and the Americans have done around the world??

I dont know man, the Saudi government are fudged up on so many different levels, but as @LutonSpurs mentions the Iraqis probably think the same of us... and with reason to.

Thats the thing. As moral as I think I am, and I would would probably say no to double or triple my earnings... if the offered 10× my earnings i would probably agree. Which reminds me of the supposed Churchill quote which was something like this:

We already know you are a fluffy bunnies cuddling... but now we are negotiating on the price.

The fluffy bunnies cuddling reference is nothing to do with you or your decision, but more my realisation... that despite what I think is my moral fortitude, for the right amount of money I probably would sell out.

Are Saudi worse than China and what they are doing? Would your work for the Chinese?

How about Russia? In fact... what about what we and the Americans have done around the world??

I dont know man, the Saudi government are fudged up on so many different levels, but as @LutonSpurs mentions the Iraqis probably think the same of us... and with reason to.

This holier than thou attitude, ok we may not be killing journalists but we're happy to arm Saudi and line our pockets and cause untold devestation in Yemen. We're not "better" here, we do things differently. Destitution up, child poverty up. Different methods to act like bricks.

If someone's gonna put your grandkids through life, hell yeh i'd move there.

Reactions: DTA
Had a friend who worked out there a decade ago. He made a packet over two years, then woke up one morning and thought, ‘I can’t do this anymore.’ Packed up and flew home that day.

The cash he earned set him up though.

Thanks guys, you have all managed to cover off pretty much all of the arguments that I’m struggling with and you have as a collective all helped (even DFL)

Reactions: DTA
I’ll add that my ex colleagues experience kf the uAe is only positive
They did party a lot and enjoy themselves but they all came back with a lot of £££
However none worked in Saudi
The guys I know who worked there are still there and I hear nothing from them. Their wives did return though without them

Back