1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Please read this post: https://www.glory-glory.co.uk/community/threads/fund-raising-for-jeremy-yermiyahu.10542/
    Dismiss Notice

Moussa Sissoko

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Jordinho, 31 Aug 2016.

1. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Paul Robinson

We haven't had the what makes a player world class debate for awhile. :D

harr1984 and MKSpur like this.
  2. MKSpur

MKSpur Simon Davies

I’m not Sissoko’s biggest fan but one thing you can’t say is he hasn’t wrung every last drop of his ability to become an elite footballer and gives everything physically on the pitch .

Jenas would be on the opposite end of the talent vs drive scale.

Since what may well be reviewed as our golden age under Poch we seemed to have signed a few players who have physicality and pace at the expense of technique - which may have been fine if one or two are involved but when you have four or five it makes it difficult to keep the ball or work the opposition as one of them will break or slow the passing sequence. Lo Celso NDombele and Bergwijn look like players who can help with this but we’ve rarely seen all three of them together, a couple more this summer will help redress the balance.

harr1984 likes this.
  3. elltrev

elltrev Niko Kranjcar

I agree the stats don't prove he hides, but as you say they certainly prove that he gets on the ball less than all of our other central midfielders - including Winks, who also does the majority of his work deep. And I think it's unusual to have a central midfield pairing where one gets on the ball so little. E.g. in 16/17 Dembele and Wanyama's numbers were 64 and 59. In 15/16, Dier's and Dembele's were 57 and 55. In 11/12 Modric and Parker's were 71 and 63. In 09/10 Huddlestone's and Palacios' were 54 and 48. Compared to Winks and Sissoko's 68 and 46 this season - it's very unusual.

Personally I also see him multiple times per match pointing to a teammate to be passed to, rather than making space to receive a pass himself. Though I appreciate we're probably not going to agree on that without watching a match together and commenting on it live! So instead let me ask:

What would you say he's doing when not getting on the ball, if not hiding? That the likes of Dembele, Wanyama, Dier, Modric, Parker, Huddlestone and Palacios weren't doing?

Bishop likes this.
  4. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Steve Sedgley

Well in his case IMO it wasn’t ability as he showed it at times
    It’s the age old issue of what’s in the head...

5. harr1984

harr1984 John Lacy

Fair enough mate, but for me you’re trying to use stats to prove something that isn’t there. Winks is a tippy tappy passer who does lots of short passing so I’m not in the least bit surprised he averages far more. The only other playmaker who did lots of tippy tappy passing from that selection is Modric and his passing was far higher than Parker’s according to your stats. If you have playmakers in your team the instructions will be get the ball to them as frequently as possible, but if you want to believe it’s because Sissoko is hiding then fair enough, but he really isn’t:D.....

6. parklane1

parklane1 Les Howe

I do agree, he had all the quality/skills to be one of the best but never had the drive to produce in enough.

harr1984 and Bedfordspurs like this.
  7. elltrev

elltrev Niko Kranjcar

EDIT: Just to be clear, I only try to use stats to support what I think I've seen with my own eyes, and only in a (seemingly always unsuccessful!) attempt to break what is otherwise an inevitable deadlock in discussion.

And it feels to me like you're trying to discount stats to prove something that isn't there. E.g. You say Modric's passing numbers are 'far higher' than Parker's, whereas in reality it's a difference of 8 vs a difference of 22 for Winks and Sissoko. And the fact is that Sissoko's number of passes is the lowest of those 10 CMs I mentioned.

Do you feel more comfortable with the language 'doesn't make enough effort to make himself available to his teammates'? If not I guess we'll just have to leave it there and agree to disagree, even though to me the evidence is undeniable!

Last edited: 11 Aug 2020
    Bishop likes this.
  8. Bullet

Bullet Paul Walsh

Trolling much galeforce? Don't be silly.

Sissoko has the same skill level as someone like Wimmer, but is playing in midfield, so it really stands out that he cannot reliably shoot, pass nor control the ball.

Legohamster, Bishop and braineclipse like this.
  9. braineclipse

braineclipse Chris Jones

Not sure it's a question of effort.

I think he rightly thinks that him receiving the ball in under pressure or in tight situations frequently would be bad for the team and him. We're all better off with him not showing for the ball in situations where others do, and should.

For me Mourinho got it right when he essentially said that he's not a central midfielder. Perhaps Mourinho has since changed his mind, impossible to know. I hope he hasn't.

milo likes this.
  10. elltrev

elltrev Niko Kranjcar

Yeah when I said he doesn't make enough effort, I didn't mean to suggest it's because he's lazy. I agree it's because he (arguably rightly) doesn't have enough confidence in his ability on the ball. And sounds like we agree that that trait is a major flaw to have in a central midifelder!

Bishop and braineclipse like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Ronnie Rosenthal

Imagine playing a whole CM that you shouldn't actually pass the ball to in midfield.

thfcsteff likes this.
  12. Jon

Jon Jimmy Neighbour

George Graham made that dream come true...

thfcsteff likes this.
  13. Baleforce

Baleforce Fanny Walden

Klopp is still doing it

14. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Les Howe Staff Member

We can only dream of a 4-3-3 with Dier, Holjberg and Sissoko...

15. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Les Howe Staff Member

In fairness, Davis and Roecastle were both good players (ouch that hurt though)...

16. Jon

Jon Jimmy Neighbour

I’m sure they were.

But our version was; Leonhardsen - Sherwood - Freund - Clemence.

A midfield 4 based on just getting in the way, never passing forward, and creativity was served by waiting for the opposition to get bored and make a mistake.

17. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Jimmy Neighbour

That's nice. Steff had completely erased that insipid period of our history....and you go and unlock the door of misery.

thfcsteff and JerusalemMan like this.
  18. Jon

Jon Jimmy Neighbour

Here to help mate, here to help...

thfcsteff and ricky2tricky4city like this.
  19. Yiddo

Yiddo Alf Ramsey

We sold him for £30m yet?

20. Bishop

Bishop Ronnie Rosenthal

If you change that figure to 13m it's more likely.