• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Sissoko

Let's not get carried away here.

Last night, he was unrecognisable from the player who joined us but he's still the least talented player in our squad by a very long margin. Our goalkeepers and the kids we almost never play are all significantly better on the ball than him.

He deserves praise for his improvement (albeit from a low level), but let's not pretend Poch has made anything more than an average (by football standard, not Spurs standard) footballer out of him.

:ross: It's like you're actually being serious.

He literally provided the spark that won us a tight game, against a good Italian side, in the Champions League, in a must win match. Just give it up, man!!

To be fair, he has a point to an extent. Sissoko has come on hugely over the last month or so. In fact, he’s been our best player in that time.

But...he still isn’t a very clever player. His assist against West Ham and his contribution last night were great but he played the only balls that were really on. You look at a player like Eriksen and the pass he picked out of nowhere for Son against Chelsea on Saturday just before half time. Sissoko will never ever do that because he isn’t clever enough. He’s a hell of an athlete though.

No doubt he's never going to be an Eriksen, or even a Winks, or Lamela. His benefit - and the reason he was signed (Poch put out quotes on this before the deal and after we played quite predictably in a home draw to Liverpool) was that he would add a physical spark, an option to break through the lines and give us something different in a side that was full of passers.

It's taken a while to get the benefit of his attacking potential, but his physicality means he creates the situations where the only pass available is the best one. Eriksen can pick a lock when the opposition is set, Sissoko will knock the door down and dish it to the best available player by virtue of his running. (Not saying he will create with as much regularity as Eriksen, especially if he plays as one of the deeper midfielders). Spaletti was saying last night how Inter made the wrong decision on what to do with Sissoko on that run - he got going and they couldn't react quickly enough to stop what he was about to do.

Last edited:
Sissoko is the proof that, whatever sh1te we all might talk on here...Poch knows what's up. We are so used to having managers over the years who lived in a phucking bizarro world, constructing teams and squads that made no sense. Now we have a guy that knows what he's doing, it just doesn't seem right.

Such a key point. No one is going to back a player has been taken out of the team and isn't around the squad, has a bad reputation, is not getting on with his teammates and is not helping us win games. No one went to the ends of the earth to praise Ettiene Capoue or Paulinho - good, talented players no doubt, but were we winning games with them? Not as much. Hence they were sold without too much sadness.

Similarly no one is going to go to the ends of the earth to defend the selections of a Manager that isn't helping us win games. I'm sure all Managers have their benefits, but if they are not getting results, there is a reason for that and they may not be the best placed at our club.

But continued selection, and winning results, under a Manager that has earned our trust? Logic dictates that whatever player that is probably has something they are contributing, and that its worth seeing how they develop.

:ross: It's like you're actually being serious.

He literally provided the spark that won us a tight game, against a good Italian side, in the Champions League, in a must win match. Just give it up, man!!
He ran into a gap. I've never denied he's quick or strong, I do contend that he's a good way below the minimum standard of ability a team of our style requires.

To be fair, he has a point to an extent. Sissoko has come on hugely over the last month or so. In fact, he’s been our best player in that time.

But...he still isn’t a very clever player. His assist against West Ham and his contribution last night were great but he played the only balls that were really on. You look at a player like Eriksen and the pass he picked out of nowhere for Son against Chelsea on Saturday just before half time. Sissoko will never ever do that because he isn’t clever enough. He’s a hell of an athlete though.

Oh come on!!!!
Are you SERIOUSLY going to now compare Moussa Sissoko to Christian Eriksen?
Name me 5 players in the Premiership who are at Eriksen's level of vision? If you can even get to four, you're picking world class players!!!!! I don't think you'll find another beyond David Silva and sometimes DeBryunne.

Sissoko has been involved in several highly productive insurgent, incisive moves since he was able to play centrally, and each time he has displayed great close touch and a great final ball. If it was "that easy" then you would think any of ours breaking into those positions could deliver every single time. But they don't. he's done it at least four times since Sept.

We don't play Sissoko to replicate Eriksen, or Eriksenesque vision, because that would be like asking an orange to be an apple.

He ran into a gap. I've never denied he's quick or strong, I do contend that he's a good way below the minimum standard of ability a team of our style requires.

rofl...ran into a gap. You are doing it for the ad revenue, aren't you?

A team in our style puts a lot of stock into hard running and physicality. I don't know why physical attributes seem to count less with you but...ah forget it. You're doing it for ads. I'm sure of it.

I just read Lawro saying we would beat Arsenal away, with particulr reference to Sissoko.

I think I feel the same.

He has given us something we didn’t have, that is unquantifiable and unknown but also simultaneously plain to see.

WTFF.

So far, I really dont. They dont seem to gel at all for me. Dier and Winks together is a really nice partnership, Dier and Sissoko against Chelsea really worked. Im yet to see Winks and Sissoko and feel like its a good pair.

Well as i said they were up against tough opposition...even with Nainggolan going off Valero is still a tenacious technically adept player.

I don't think it's our best central partnership but I do feel it has potential against opponents who sit back and attempt to contain.

Central midfield is now a tricky one for me...yes I'm a spurs fan but I've always wanted us to have a Roy Keane type in there and my wish has been for Dier to become this but Dier is very defensive minded and is more of an Anchor Man 'Makelele type.

Laugh if ya want but Sissoko's recent displays have reminded me heavily about what I most admired about Keane...particularly his tenacity against Chelsea.

Interestingly enough Keane was never 'a' grade technically gifted but would dominate games more often than not the ones that really mattered.

Also Sissoko's recent displays have also minus the goals reminded me very much of Ya ya Toure as when he is running at full pelt it's like a steam train and the opposition dunno wtf to do about it.

Half the time picking a central midfield is about finding the right blend...

Like it or not Sissoko offers us qualities that we need that can give us the edge in certain games, I'm happy for him to be busy whilst Winks attempts to keep things ticking over.

And I’m buying the weird-third kit with “Sissoko” on the back for Christmas and will only wear once on the day we win the Champions league.

Last edited:

I totally get it now, you are simply doing on here what that muppet Adrian Durham does on Talkbrick. You just wind up Spurs fans with you views on Sissoko enticing us to bite.

I totally get it now, you are simply doing on here what that muppet Adrian Durham does on Talkbrick. You just wind up Spurs fans with you views on Sissoko enticing us to bite.

What that in mind, has he (Durham) said anything on Spurs since he was going on about how we were all going to be terrified of this week...now that we've won 2 of the 3 games we apparently didn't stand a chance in?

What that in mind, has he (Durham) said anything on Spurs since he was going on about how we were all going to be terrified of this week...now that we've won 2 of the 3 games we apparently didn't stand a chance in?

He retracted his ass big time on Monday. Said we were lucky last night Pamela didn't see red...probably got a point. And asked today if the three...Kane, Eriksen and Alli were world class...

I was like 'er wtf about Sissoko :)

rofl...ran into a gap. You are doing it for the ad revenue, aren't you?

A team in our style puts a lot of stock into hard running and physicality. I don't know why physical attributes seem to count less with you but...ah forget it. You're doing it for ads. I'm sure of it.
I expect all of our players to run, to fight and be physical - and they all are.

The other ten on the pitch are also talented footballers, they're on a different level from Sissoko in terms of on the ball ability.

Back