• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Dembele

Dembele has already played in the EPL, during the season Fulham got relegated.
He made the grand total of two PL appearances.... one of which was him coming on as a sub in the 83rd minute. I don't think this automatically qualifies him as being ready to play PL football (especially not for a club at our level).

Don't get me wrong I like what I have seen of Moussa (although I admit I haven't seen much of him). He definitely has ability, looks to be a good all round player and he also has a confidence about him (which I think is important for a young striker). I think he is still one for the future as opposed to one for the here any now however. Of course it's possible that he might do Dele Alli and take to the PL like a duck to water, I just don't see enough in him yet that suggests he would make a difference from now until the end of the season. Long term though, I would love us to bring him in.

Roma and Juventus are talking to his representatives now though. So that's two CL level clubs, with big budgets playing in a top league, with reputations for bringing through young players.... With both already having a financial advantage over us in terms of being able to get him on a pre-contract and paying a token tribuneral fee in the Summer.

I don't blame Demebele's agent for taking his time on this one. I would imagine that the wages being offered to his client and going up and up currently.

He made the grand total of two PL appearances.... one of which was him coming on as a sub in the 83rd minute. I don't think this automatically qualifies him as being ready to play PL football (especially not for a club at our level).

Don't get me wrong I like what I have seen of Moussa (although I admit I haven't seen much of him). He definitely has ability, looks to be a good all round player and he also has a confidence about him (which I think is important for a young striker). I think he is still one for the future as opposed to one for the here any now however. Of course it's possible that he might do Dele Alli and take to the PL like a duck to water, I just don't see enough in him yet that suggests he would make a difference from now until the end of the season. Long term though, I would love us to bring him in.

Roma and Juventus are talking to his representatives now though. So that's two CL level clubs, with big budgets playing in a top league, with reputations for bringing through young players.... With both already having a financial advantage over us in terms of being able to get him on a pre-contract and paying a token tribuneral fee in the Summer.

I don't blame Demebele's agent for taking his time on this one. I would imagine that the wages being offered to his client and going up and up currently.

Tribunal fees aren't payable if the player goes abroad it only applies in England. Heard it in the commentary of the Everton game (I think), one of their academy players went to Rangers and Rangers didn't have to pay anything.

Fulham want Moussa Dembele to return to Craven Cottage on loan for the rest of the season if they sell him to Tottenhamthis winter.

The 19-year-old forward is admired by Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino and is high on the club’s list of striking targets for this month.

Fulham would like about £6million for Dembele but know they will receive minimal compensation for the forward – about £300,000 – if he moves abroad when his contract ends in the summer.

Spurs are thought to be exploring whether to include one of their younger players in the deal who is outside the first-team squad.

Dembele has scored 11 times this season and Spurs have followed him closely since his early days in English football, even sending representatives to watch his full Premier League debut for Fulham, against Everton in March 2014.

They have also conducted thorough checks on the player’s character and are expected to make a decisive move to sign him in the closing days of this transfer window.

Yet Dembele is thought to be in no hurry to move as he has plenty of interest from abroad. His representatives held talks with Monaco earlier this month and his situation is also being followed by Wolfsburg, Roma and former club Paris St Germain.

He has also attracted the attention of Manchester United, Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool during this transfer window.

Looks like an Alli play again, buy and loan back .. great for next season but not immediately helpful.

I mainly agree with you here.

I don't think it's too important that a player lacks PL football, as long as he has been playing senior football at a decent level, see Alli for an example. If he had only played youth football, then I'd agree that the player could not be ready. However, Alli had 2 full seasons of league 1 football under his belt before joining up with our squad.

For Dembele, this is his first full season of senior football (he had 11 games in the championship last season, and only started 2 of those according to stats I'm looking at) so it would make sense to buy him, loan him back and get the full season under his belt, followed by a full pre-season with us. Then, he could hopefully make a similar impact to Alli.

I mainly agree with you here.

I don't think it's too important that a player lacks PL football, as long as he has been playing senior football at a decent level, see Alli for an example. If he had only played youth football, then I'd agree that the player could not be ready. However, Alli had 2 full seasons of league 1 football under his belt before joining up with our squad.

For Dembele, this is his first full season of senior football (he had 11 games in the championship last season, and only started 2 of those according to stats I'm looking at) so it would make sense to buy him, loan him back and get the full season under his belt, followed by a full pre-season with us. Then, he could hopefully make a similar impact to Alli.
We need a CF in Jan though!

Even if we buy a £50m player Poch will ease him in, get him fit enough, and he'll not make much contribution till next season.

Unless he needs him to play

Poch will take his time with a player if it suits but if needs must he ain't scared of playing them like he has done with Alli and Son

Unless he needs him to play

Poch will take his time with a player if it suits but if needs must he ain't scared of playing them like he has done with Alli and Son

They were both exceptionally fit/tailored made for our system

It would take months to get an overweight and rusty Berahino, for example, into any fit shape.

We do, but we should also not make knee-jerk buys that will not fit in the long-term direction Poch has set out. It's tempting, but if we are to be successful, we must resist the urge to tinker.

Right, but I will point out that if we buy someone like Dembele and loan him back, but then get Kane crocked or simply fall away in terms of goalscoring threat...we'll likely finish outside the top four, which would be highly, highly disappointing in a very fluid and unpredictable season.

An opportunity missed here will lead to much, much less forgiveness for Poch and the team come the start of next season - essentially, 'you threw away the last season because you wanted this Dembele instead of a readymade striker in January: now you have him, you better not f*ck it up again'. This will hold doubly true, of course, if our troubles come in packs, as is usually the case: if we miss out on the top four and Arse win the title, for example. A similar set of horrible circumstances saw Redknapp leave with a lot of the fans (me included) furious at him and happy to see him go, even as the more prescient supporters at the time were busy warning everyone that we wouldn't have it as good for a long time to come.

And this isn't even a wound inflicted by Levy (as I tend to believe the Saha-Nelsen double whammy was in Redknapp's case) - the man seems happy to back Poch as much as he can these days. No, this will be a self-inflicted wound if the worst happens after the window closes.And, as nice as it might be to imagine otherwise, if it makes us fall short this season, it will suddenly put a lot more pressure on Poch heading into his third season, the last Tottenham Hotspur Football Club will ever spend at the 'old' White Hart Lane (which carries with it a certain need to finish with a flourish).

If Poch is happy to make that gamble, then fair enough, let's see where it goes. Personally, my expectations will be higher next season regardless of what happens this time (in keeping with my desire to see continuous progress), but making the CL or winning something will undoubtedly help assuage any future failures/set-backs that may occur, and we have a very, very good chance of doing one of those things this season that I don't particularly think Poch should thow away for the sake of long-term planning.

They were both exceptionally fit/tailored made for our system

It would take months to get an overweight and rusty Berahino, for example, into any fit shape.

Mate... In overweight and unfit. Berahino looks far from that to me. He would benfinebfor the cameos that he would get and I'm sure the double training will work wonders for him

Right, but I will point out that if we buy someone like Dembele and loan him back, but then get Kane crocked or simply fall away in terms of goalscoring threat...we'll likely finish outside the top four, which would be highly, highly disappointing in a very fluid and unpredictable season.

An opportunity missed here will lead to much, much less forgiveness for Poch and the team come the start of next season - essentially, 'you threw away the last season because you wanted this Dembele instead of a readymade striker in January: now you have him, you better not f*ck it up again'. This will hold doubly true, of course, if our troubles come in packs, as is usually the case: if we miss out on the top four and Arse win the title, for example. A similar set of horrible circumstances saw Redknapp leave with a lot of the fans (me included) furious at him and happy to see him go, even as the more prescient supporters at the time were busy warning everyone that we wouldn't have it as good for a long time to come.

And this isn't even a wound inflicted by Levy (as I tend to believe the Saha-Nelsen double whammy was in Redknapp's case) - the man seems happy to back Poch as much as he can these days. No, this will be a self-inflicted wound if the worst happens after the window closes.And, as nice as it might be to imagine otherwise, if it makes us fall short this season, it will suddenly put a lot more pressure on Poch heading into his third season, the last Tottenham Hotspur Football Club will ever spend at the 'old' White Hart Lane (which carries with it a certain need to finish with a flourish).

If Poch is happy to make that gamble, then fair enough, let's see where it goes. Personally, my expectations will be higher next season regardless of what happens this time (in keeping with my desire to see continuous progress), but making the CL or winning something will undoubtedly help assuage any future failures/set-backs that may occur, and we have a very, very good chance of doing one of those things this season that I don't particularly think Poch should thow away for the sake of long-term planning.

Who do you see as a readymade striker?

I can't think of anyone who would hit the ground running in our system. It's kind of the reason Barcelona don't buy that many players, because it takes so long to mould them into shape. Even someone like Negredo when that looked an option I don't think would have been able to make much contribution over the remaining 3.5 months.

Mate... In overweight and unfit. Berahino looks far from that to me. He would benfinebfor the cameos that he would get and I'm sure the double training will work wonders for him

Njie will be back long before Berahino would be match ready.

If we want to ready him for next season, then fine. But no one we bring in will make that much contribution over the last few months of this one.

If we want to ready him for next season, then fine. But no one we bring in will make that much contribution over the last few months of this one.

We're talking potentially 30 games and 3.5 months left which is still a hue amount of time

We don't play a complicated system. We play a system that needs affort and fitness. We're not gonna sign a player who won't work in our system in the clubs eyes that clear

Anyone we sign will be for the future too but Poch has said he wants someone to play with Kane as well as cover for him so my assumption is we are looking at players who can be mounded quickly

Who do you see as a readymade striker?

I can't think of anyone who would hit the ground running in our system. It's kind of the reason Barcelona don't buy that many players, because it takes so long to mould them into shape. Even someone like Negredo when that looked an option I don't think would have been able to make much contribution over the remaining 3.5 months.

The way you are speaking is if we are looking for someone exactly the same as Kane? they don't need to fit into our system 100% to be successful, what we need is another option that gives us a different dimension. Whats the point of needing a goal and bringing on someone that is going to do exactly the same thing Kane does?

We need a direct striker imo and seeing as Kane is the main man he does not really need to fit into our system straight away as they will only be playing 30 minutes at the most if Kane is not injured.

I think Berahino will be match ready to play up front for us a long while before N'jie is.... and I would say that even if N'jie was already back from his injury!

We need a CF for the second half of the season in case Kane gets injured and/or we end up playing another 30 games.

So if Fulham insist on taking Dembele back for the rest of the season, then fine as you need to make the right long-term decisions

But in which case which need a stop gap signing, whether that's either someone on loan or someone at the end of their career.

I could easily see us signing someone like Rickie Lambert as well as Dembele. Poch knows Lambert, Lambert knows Poch, he wouldn't be a million miles of a like for like stand-in for Kane (big, works hard, decent touch etc) and he'd accept playing second fiddle to Kane

We need a CF for the second half of the season in case Kane gets injured and/or we end up playing another 30 games.

So if Fulham insist on taking Dembele back for the rest of the season, then fine as you need to make the right long-term decisions

But in which case which need a stop gap signing, whether that's either someone on loan or someone at the end of their career.

I could easily see us signing someone like Rickie Lambert as well as Dembele. Poch knows Lambert, Lambert knows Poch, he wouldn't be a million miles of a like for like stand-in for Kane (big, works hard, decent touch etc) and he'd accept playing second fiddle to Kane

Something like this would make me happy for sure. Young Dembele continues his season and a striker with a bit of experience comes in who'll definitely get games. I wouldn't be blown away by Lambert but for the reasons you've mentioned I wouldn't be against the move in any way.

Back