• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Moussa Dembele

Also Dembele can sign a pre-contract abroad this window, whereas we have to pay a fee for him (or go to tribunal in the summer). It's very much in Fulham's interest to sell him to an English club.

Also Dembele can sign a pre-contract abroad this window, whereas we have to pay a fee for him (or go to tribunal in the summer). It's very much in Fulham's interest to sell him to an English club.

You're telling me the "representatives talking to Monaco" rumours are planted by Levy to put pressure on Fulham to make a deal and an announcement will be made by Friday?

Sweet ;)

Indeed. But what the club want and what the player's representatives want are not aligned.

Indeed. But what the club want and what the player's representatives want are not aligned.

No but it makes a deal at what we will consider the right price with the selling club much more likely.

At this point if the player isn't sufficiently motivated by our recent player development record, training ground, stadium project and Pochettino I say to hell with that player I don't want them anyway. We can barely go a couple of months without another of our young players earning a new contract because they've done so well so I would seriously question even the financial motivation of taking a bit more money from for example Monaco over a chance of playing and developing under Pochettino for us right now.

No but it makes a deal at what we will consider the right price with the selling club much more likely.

At this point if the player isn't sufficiently motivated by our recent player development record, training ground, stadium project and Pochettino I say to hell with that player I don't want them anyway. We can barely go a couple of months without another of our young players earning a new contract because they've done so well so I would seriously question even the financial motivation of taking a bit more money from for example Monaco over a chance of playing and developing under Pochettino for us right now.
Most (if not all) players will base their decisions on the pay cheque. This is especially the case with young players. Dembele isn't guaranteed to make it as a player. He could sign a 4 year contract at Spurs for £10k a week, get injured and never gain another contract again. Equally he could come to Spurs, his development could stall and this would end up being the biggest contract he ever signed.

If you are 19 years old and being offered £2 million or £6 million over 4 years you will take the latter offer. Your agent would terrible if they let you do anything else (and if they did then I would advise the player to get better representation).

Remember here that the other clubs who are rumoured to be interested are also on a similar standing to Spurs, with one having additional benefits of being a move 'home' for the player and an added sweetener of tax free wages.

Most (if not all) players will base their decisions on the pay cheque. This is especially the case with young players. Dembele isn't guaranteed to make it as a player. He could sign a 4 year contract at Spurs for £10k a week, get injured and never gain another contract again. Equally he could come to Spurs, his development could stall and this would end up being the biggest contract he ever signed.

If you are 19 years old and being offered £2 million or £6 million over 4 years you will take the latter offer. Your agent would terrible if they let you do anything else (and if they did then I would advise the player to get better representation).

Remember here that the other clubs who are rumoured to be interested are also on a similar standing to Spurs, with one having additional benefits of being a move 'home' for the player and an added sweetener of tax free wages.

£2m and £6m is an extreme example though. Monaco have gone very much into money conservation and player development mode, not sure they would just be throwing money at him. Another extreme is him never getting another contract again...

I agree that money will be a factor. But I don't think it will be the only factor, and right now I think we're a very tempting destination for any talented young player (and their representatives).

£2m and £6m is an extreme example though. Monaco have gone very much into money conservation and player development mode, not sure they would just be throwing money at him. Another extreme is him never getting another contract again...

I agree that money will be a factor. But I don't think it will be the only factor, and right now I think we're a very tempting destination for any talented young player (and their representatives).
The £4 million I quoted may have been an extreme difference but could well be the difference in the transfer fee that we would have to pay compared to that Monaco or Wolfsburg would have to pay. Clubs look at deals for players in terms of the overall package. Hence (assuming £4 million difference in the fee) then Monaco/Wolfsburg could offer that much more money to the player. Of course with this in mind it may be that Spurs can look to do a cut price deal with Fulham and therefore offer the player more.

Also it may be extreme for a player to think that they will never get another contract again, but it is a possibility that a player's representative has to cover. Monaco may have far less money than they had previously, hence picking up a talented 19 year for pretty much nothing and paying him £30,000 a week represents a good deal for them.

Of course we are a tempting destination for young players, but don't be fooled into thinking that a player would prefer to sign for us over any club offering a salary of 2x what we are. As I said before any agent worth their salt wouldn't let it happen.

The £4 million I quoted may have been an extreme difference but could well be the difference in the transfer fee that we would have to pay compared to that Monaco or Wolfsburg would have to pay. Clubs look at deals for players in terms of the overall package. Hence (assuming £4 million difference in the fee) then Monaco/Wolfsburg could offer that much more money to the player. Of course with this in mind it may be that Spurs can look to do a cut price deal with Fulham and therefore offer the player more.

Also it may be extreme for a player to think that they will never get another contract again, but it is a possibility that a player's representative has to cover. Monaco may have far less money than they had previously, hence picking up a talented 19 year for pretty much nothing and paying him £30,000 a week represents a good deal for them.

Of course we are a tempting destination for young players, but don't be fooled into thinking that a player would prefer to sign for us over any club offering a salary of 2x what we are. As I said before any agent worth their salt wouldn't let it happen.

And an overall package for us paying £4m for Dembele and paying him £20k a week would be a hell of a lot cheaper than what we would have to pay to get Berahino. This deal has to be compared to other potential deals we can make, not to potential deals another club based in another country could make.

If we really rate him highly, and rumours are true that we want to sign him to come into our squad now (instead of the somewhat traditional stay on loan until the end of the season) a £4m fee even on £30k a week could still be a solid bargain for us. Just because Monaco could potentially get him for less doesn't make the deal any worse for us.

I'm not saying players will chose us regardless of money. I'm saying there are more factors than the immediate pay off and that should carry some weight. I wouldn't be shocked to see a player accepting £25k a week with us over £30k a week elsewhere. Thought exactly where the pain threshold is for where money has the final word I have no idea.

If he's got his head screwed on, staying in the same city and moving to the 13th biggest club in the world - who are brining through young players at a rate like no one else - is very much the smart thing to do.

And an overall package for us paying £4m for Dembele and paying him £20k a week would be a hell of a lot cheaper than what we would have to pay to get Berahino. This deal has to be compared to other potential deals we can make, not to potential deals another club based in another country could make.

If we really rate him highly, and rumours are true that we want to sign him to come into our squad now (instead of the somewhat traditional stay on loan until the end of the season) a £4m fee even on £30k a week could still be a solid bargain for us. Just because Monaco could potentially get him for less doesn't make the deal any worse for us.

I'm not saying players will chose us regardless of money. I'm saying there are more factors than the immediate pay off and that should carry some weight. I wouldn't be shocked to see a player accepting £25k a week with us over £30k a week elsewhere. Thought exactly where the pain threshold is for where money has the final word I have no idea.

But Dembele is still a way away from being ready for PL football whereas Berahino is already at that level.

With our pay structure I would be quite surprised to see us pay as much as £30k a week for a 19 year old from the Championship.

I don’t know the terms anyway… I am just estimating. However if Monaco/Wolfsburg are potentially able to pay 3 or 4 million £ less for the player in terms of a transfer fee then that money would find it’s way into the player’s pay packet. That would just be the agent doing their job and is why players have agents. Of course the threat of the player joining a big club in Europe on a pre-contract is also likely to focus Fulham's minds into lowering their fee now, which, again, would result in the player/agent earning more money. It's all agents games at the moment.

If he's got his head screwed on, staying in the same city and moving to the 13th biggest club in the world - who are brining through young players at a rate like no one else - is very much the smart thing to do.
It's not his home City though.... I would imagine that Monaco would be just as attractive (if not more so) as a place to live. Wolfsburg are also a club on the up and another that have a reputation for bringing young players through.

You are looking at this deal from the perspective of a Spurs fan as opposed to from the perspective of the player or his agent.

But Dembele is still a way away from being ready for PL football whereas Berahino is already at that level.

With our pay structure I would be quite surprised to see us pay as much as £30k a week for a 19 year old from the Championship.

I don’t know the terms anyway… I am just estimating. However if Monaco/Wolfsburg are potentially able to pay 3 or 4 million £ less for the player in terms of a transfer fee then that money would find it’s way into the player’s pay packet. That would just be the agent doing their job and is why players have agents. Of course the threat of the player joining a big club in Europe on a pre-contract is also likely to focus Fulham's minds into lowering their fee now, which, again, would result in the player/agent earning more money. It's all agents games at the moment.

I have to say I don't know how far Dembele is from being ready for PL football. What I'm saying is that if the club is considering bringing him into the squad now, potentially sending another youth player to Fulham on loan, instead of leaving Dembele at Fulham on loan for the rest of the season - doesn't that indicate that perhaps the club thinks he's a bit closer to being read for PL football than you do?

I don't think there's a 1:1 correlation between the "lack of transfer fee" and the "increase in the player's pay packet".

It's not his home City though.... I would imagine that Monaco would be just as attractive (if not more so) as a place to live. Wolfsburg are also a club on the up and another that have a reputation for bringing young players through.

You are looking at this deal from the perspective of a Spurs fan as opposed to from the perspective of the player or his agent.

He's been living in London since he was 16. 3 and a half years is a long time at that age. For a kid growing up in Paris I imagine London feels closer to being his home city than Monaco will.

I think the PL will also be a big draw.

Trying not to look at this from the perspective of a Spurs fan. You don't think we're looking a very good option for talented young players at the moment?

I have to say I don't know how far Dembele is from being ready for PL football. What I'm saying is that if the club is considering bringing him into the squad now, potentially sending another youth player to Fulham on loan, instead of leaving Dembele at Fulham on loan for the rest of the season - doesn't that indicate that perhaps the club thinks he's a bit closer to being read for PL football than you do?

I don't think there's a 1:1 correlation between the "lack of transfer fee" and the "increase in the player's pay packet".

He's been living in London since he was 16. 3 and a half years is a long time at that age. For a kid growing up in Paris I imagine London feels closer to being his home city than Monaco will.

I think the PL will also be a big draw.

Trying not to look at this from the perspective of a Spurs fan. You don't think we're looking a very good option for talented young players at the moment?
There absolutely is... It is an agent's job to know the worth of his clients. When a club are able to sign a player for a knocked down fee, the player's wage will then reflect most of that difference.

Also I believe that the deal being discussed was for Dembele to stay at Fulham on loan and for them to take another player from us in addition.

I agree with you that the PL will be a big draw, but ultimately (as is nearly always the case) the decision is likely to come down to money.

Back