• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mousa Dembele

How much of that saved money/Fee is going to make much of a difference if we are not signing anyone in Jan?

He’s just returned to fitness I believe ? Well Dembele fitness.

We will see I guess.

As I said I’m right in the middle of this one and get why the club have off loaded.
Returned to fitness or returned to training? If the latter then he is still probably at least a month away from returning fitness.

I'd hope theres someone coming in, we don't have enough bodies in CM for the rest of the season otherwise (I'm counting Wanyana out).

Not to hijack the thread but what the hell is going on with Wanyama? Don't seem to hear anything about him. I'm clueless as to why he has been out so long.

Not to hijack the thread but what the hell is going on with Wanyama? Don't seem to hear anything about him. I'm clueless as to why he has been out so long.

He's injured, doing conditioning work according to the team news but not yet back in full training.

Sky sports saying £9m fee.

If the reporting of the same interview by Poch yesterday is anything to go by it seems sky like to put a negative spin on things whereas BBC put a positive spin on it (or just use the actual quotes!), so the truth is somewhere in the middle. £10m!

A lot of errors in transfer fees come because people misquote/don't convert when they need to etc. £s and $s. So it might be £9m and $11m.

We havent really used Dembele of late and I don't think we have missed him that much anyway. A player who has been amazing and is difficult to find someone like him but we have more than enough midfielders and he is now passed his best IMO. Would be good to get £9m for him.

He was out best player in the last season at the Lane. Not sure why the clamour to get rid?

Sadly fitness!
His body can no longer can be relied on.
Pochettino’s fitness regime is a bugger for even the very fittest imo

Last edited:
He was out best player in the last season at the Lane. Not sure why the clamour to get rid?
For me it's mostly for fitness issues. Brilliant player on his day but injuries have taken a toll. Tbh if you have a spare 3 hours, read this thread and you will see there is a lot of snobbery towards Dembele type players which means he has not been acknowledged as influential as he has been for us. Will be sad to see him go, marvellous servant of the club.

I do think people can be prone to short-term reactive thinking, and groupthinking. His injuries this year seem to have made it accepted wisdom that he is finished. Even though prior to this season he was regularly starting 20-30 league games for us.

Of course he has had some injury issues for a while, and is no spring chicken, so people may well be proven right! Clearly Poch / Levy didn’t think he was worth paying what he’ll be getting in wages in China, after all.

I do think people can be prone to short-term reactive thinking, and groupthinking. His injuries this year seem to have made it accepted wisdom that he is finished. Even though prior to this season he was regularly starting 20-30 league games for us.

Of course he has had some injury issues for a while, and is no spring chicken, so people may well be proven right! Clearly Poch / Levy didn’t think he was worth paying what he’ll be getting in wages in China, after all.

Even in his pomp he was fragile and would be off early more than often and that side of him is only getting worse.

Great player but the days of sentiment in this league are well gone.

He's been visibly in decline for several years with that degenerative hip problem. Last season he was a 60 minute player. This season he'd become a 20-30 minute player. I think for a lot of people him getting badly bullied by Pogba in the cup semi-final last season was a big moment of realisation that the end was nigh

I'm disappointed he's chasing the money and not going to a competitive slower paced league like Italy though

He's been visibly in decline for several years with that degenerative hip problem. Last season he was a 60 minute player. This season he'd become a 20-30 minute player. I think for a lot of people him getting badly bullied by Pogba in the cup semi-final last season was a big moment of realisation that the end was nigh

I'm disappointed he's chasing the money and not going to a competitive slower paced league like Italy though

With all due respect, the bolded bit of your post is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Here are his minutes played in PL/CL games this season, when not injured:

Yes he's had fitness issues for a while and has been injured for longer this season than he has done before, but let's not resort to hyperbole!

4 of the 12 less than 30 minutes.

1 a half, and 1 an hour.

Still not seeing the hyperbole.

And I know pretty much everything GB says usually counts as such!

Personally I think saying 'he'd become a 20-30 minute player' is clearly hyperbole when that only accounts for 33% of his matches played!

But I think we're all getting into unproductive cross-purpose talking and splitting hairs here :D - clearly Dembele has had bigger fitness issues this year than any year before, and with his age and contract status it was a no-brainer for all parties for him to leave.

For me it's mostly for fitness issues. Brilliant player on his day but injuries have taken a toll. Tbh if you have a spare 3 hours, read this thread and you will see there is a lot of snobbery towards Dembele type players which means he has not been acknowledged as influential as he has been for us. Will be sad to see him go, marvellous servant of the club.
Sorry, I was responding to @StephenH comment about Wanyama!

Back