• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mourinho’s Key Players

SpurMeUp

Jimmy Cantrell
Should be pretty easy for us to identify the players Mourinho won’t sell. I think everyone else is effetely for sale. Who are Mourinhos core player he wants to build around?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Should be pretty easy for us to identify the players Mourinho won’t sell. I think everyone else is effetely for sale. Who are Mourinhos core player he wants to build around?

the unsellables IMO are
Kane
Son
Lo Celso
Bergwein
Moura
Dier
Toby
Sessegnon
Hugo

all for varying reasons although I think we would entertain offers for the latter 5 on that list

everyone else is IMO players he would sell if te right money was available to him to spend

the unsellables IMO are
Kane
Son
Lo Celso
Bergwein
Moura
Dier
Toby
Sessegnon
Hugo

all for varying reasons although I think we would entertain offers for the latter 5 on that list

everyone else is IMO players he would sell if te right money was available to him to spend

I would add Tanganga to that list. Highlights how badly we need full backs, we have one that Jose would 'want' in our squad. Need at least two FBs this window.

Agreed. As I've said before, we have 6 players who could form the basis of a title-winning team: Hugo, Dier, GLC, Son, Bergwijn, Kane. Perhaps 7 is the old Dele returned and we found a way of playing him with two pacey wide forwards also in the team. Plus we also have a number of reasonable squad players. Where we have huge gaps are in defence and a holding CM

Agreed. As I've said before, we have 6 players who could form the basis of a title-winning team: Hugo, Dier, GLC, Son, Bergwijn, Kane. Perhaps 7 is the old Dele returned and we found a way of playing him with two pacey wide forwards also in the team. Plus we also have a number of reasonable squad players. Where we have huge gaps are in defence and a holding CM

Don’t understand what Dier has done to be considered as part of that group?!

He's moved to being a CB and playing consistently and well in one position!

I just don’t think he’s playing that well - at fault for Man U goal, at fault for Palace goal (with particularly awful defending), and poor positioning for two of Sheff Utd’s goals... I’m far from writing him off, but just don’t think he deserves to be put in that elite group of six players - the kind of thing I've noticed a lot of people doing.

Also IMO Toby’s clearly been better than Dier since the restart, and been better at CB the whole time they’ve both been at the club, and has only just turned 31 - I don’t understand why he’s being discarded and discounted by so many.

Last edited:
I'm not easy with binning Dele

When you see the dramatic upward curve with scholes, lampard and gerrard following their breakthroughs and compare it with Dele it is deeply alarming how he has regressed.

Age wise he was doing more earlier but he should still at his current (admittedly still young) age have kicked on much more.

I think he is a victim of this current age of young stars getting everything too quickly. There is no doubt in my mind that had he come through in the early noughties under SAF he would by now be an unstoppable force.

He is so far from that though and I fear he will just become like a Jenas.

If his stock is still considered high around the world, then maybe a psg could be duped into giving us £80m for him.

That would have to be worth doing.

When you see the dramatic upward curve with scholes, lampard and gerrard following their breakthroughs and compare it with Dele it is deeply alarming how he has regressed.

Age wise he was doing more earlier but he should still at his current (admittedly still young) age have kicked on much more.

I think he is a victim of this current age of young stars getting everything too quickly. There is no doubt in my mind that had he come through in the early noughties under SAF he would by now be an unstoppable force.

He is so far from that though and I fear he will just become like a Jenas.

If his stock is still considered high around the world, then maybe a psg could be duped into giving us £80m for him.

That would have to be worth doing.

Like the post. The three who you compare him to are a good shout - they always came across as far more driven and professional than Dele. Obviously we dont know Dele is like in training, but the above three ran games on their own and appear hugely focussed on their careers by the time they were at the age when Dele is now

I'd probably take £60m if we could find someone to pay that

I just don’t think he’s playing that well - at fault for Man U goal, at fault for Palace goal (with particularly awful defending), and poor positioning for two of Sheff Utd’s goals... I’m far from writing him off, but just don’t think he deserves to be put in that elite group of six players - the kind of thing I've noticed a lot of people doing.

Also IMO Toby’s clearly been better than Dier since the restart, and been better at CB the whole time they’ve both been at the club, and has only just turned 31 - I don’t understand why he’s being discarded and discounted by so many.
Can’t argue with the first two goals you mention but the Sheffield United ones iMO we’re not his fault at all and he was let down by others
Still for me he ain’t one of the core yet

I think dropping Sanchez for Dier for the last game, after Dier has signed his new contract was a fair indicator that Jose thinks highly of him. His preference for Moura over Bergwijn may suggest the former is closer to the core too.
There is a question mark whether Dele has been dropped or deemed not fit enough to start since the post lockdown period, Mourinho did seem to be a fan at the beginning of his tenure. I’m interested to see how many of the first team from last season were played out of necessity, so post transfer window and pre season we’ll get a better idea. I still can’t believe he believe Aurier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko or Lamela can all be starters in a team looking to challenge for honours. I’d usually add Sanchez to that list but I think he showed signs of improvement when paired with Toby post lockdown.

Sanchez should be in the list. We know Mourinho targeted him when he was at Ajax. But that was a very long time ago. Sanchez is probably our most reliable CB. Toby is gold, but not week in and out all season. Dier is still to prove himself and probably needs a season (or 2) playing as a CB.

As things stand Sanchez is a key player for us. We need him. That is not to say he can’t be upgraded. But with so many other holes to fill in the team, we need Sanchez in place. At 24 he’s pretty young still for a CB. Hope Mourinho can give him the confidence and pomp he needs to dominate. He’s always looked a little timid, worried he doesn’t belong. But his ability without thinking is there. The rest is in his mind you feel.

I'd say Davies is also unsellable for him - personally, I suspect we'll be seeing Davies in that left-back slot as the first-choice for the entirety of Mourinho's tenure here.

He's the steady-Eddie type that Mourinho absolutely adores in one of his full-backs. Paulo Ferreira at Porto, Ferreira/Gallas at Chelsea, Javier Zanetti at Inter, Alvaro Arbeloa at Madrid, Ivanovic at Chelsea...there's historically been a role for a defensively-minded auxiliary full-back in any Mourinho side, to counter-balance the marauding other full-back in Cole, Maicon, Marcelo, etc.

Davies fulfills that role to perfection, with the added advantage of being a half-decent wing-back if the situation calls for it - if we're chasing a deficit, he can be sent up to act as a wing-back, and will likely do better at it than a centre-back playing out wide, without needing a substitution to enact that tactical change.

The way I see it, the elements of a Mourinho team that we'll need are the below, in a rough 4-2-3-1 -

Attacking RB-------Limited, Pacy CB-------Ball-Playing,'Leader' CB-------Defensive LB
----(?)-----------------(Sanchez)-----------------(Toby/Dier/TBD)---------(Davies)

-------------------Defensive Distributor-----Ball-Winning Midfielder----------------------
------------------------(Lo Celso)-----------------(Hojbjerg?)-----------------------------

Pacy Inside Forward---------------Creative AM-------------------------Pacy Left-Winger
--(Lucas/Bergwijn)----------------(Alli, possibly Tubby Ndombele)----------(Son)-------

----------------------------------------Kane-------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------(Kane)------------------------------------------------

The bolded bits are the big question marks atm, imo.

Couldn’t have worded it better. I like Dier as a squad player, I think it can’t be overstated how important it is to have players around who generally love the club. But like you, I don’t think his performances justify some of the talk of him being future captain. He’s got to play better for a much longer period of time and be consistent before people talk about him being our best CB. Toby is still head and shoulders above Sanchez and Dier.

I also find it strange that people find 31 old. My only guess is people buy into our policy of buying young and discarding/selling on players once they hit that 28/30 window regardless of how they still are. Maybe it has something to do with his contract situation dragging on so long. Various posters claimed Sanchez was already better than Toby right around the time he was umming and ahhing about staying so perhaps it was jilted lover stuff. Toby has at least 1-2 good years in him IMO. We are not going to challenge for anything significant with Dier and Sanchez IMO.

Back