• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

People will only realise how important Modric is to us when he 's gone and we go back to playing with our attacking possession 20 yards deeper than it is now.

Think about it.

VDV plays at his best in one position only, which dictates the rest of the side. And relies on him playing well to have impact.

Without him I think its possible we would have many more options/variation

We need to play a 4-5-1 like all the best sides (for the most part anyway) and he is an ideal no.10 as he creates opportunities and scores 10-15 league goals per season. Not to mention he's about the only one capable of delivering a set piece - I know we've been poor for most of the season but have picked up lately. I don't envisage many players who can play off the front man with similar quality coming to us?

There are several variations on the 451 theme, not all require a #10. Without him, we would have someone/something else - perhaps more versatile.

We wouldnt be pinned into one system alone that hinges on his performance so heavily.

Its just a thought, as I said, "Im still not convinced..." rather than making a statement of fact

Think about it.

VDV plays at his best in one position only, which dictates the rest of the side. And relies on him playing well to have impact.

Without him I think its possible we would have many more options/variation

Any team relies on its players doing well in order to have an impact.

We've played our best football this season with him in the side behind Ade - he contributes a tremendous amount to our attacking play and creativity in the final third - no other player in the current squad can emmulate that. Capable of a match-winning intervention. He also consistently tops the distance covered stats and works extremely hard for the team, always looking for the ball, not a selifish qunt like a few others, etc.

Proven winner, great experience at all levels, loves the club, city, etc. Can't think of any other player attainable for his price who would not only match but improve his output and contribution.

Last edited:
Modic > VDV and > Bale for us, IMHO.

Im still not convinced VDV doesnt cause more issues than he fixes.

True but that does not, nor should it, make him immune from criticism. Even if we keep Modric, and I hope we do, we still need to make signings that will reduce our reliance on. We should gee looking both at players in a similar mould and players tha would be equally effective but in different systems and formations.

We severely lack options when Modric is injured or under performing. If we had a stronger squad and he had more competition for his role then his form would be less likely to drop towards the middle and end of the season. (I suppose you could apply this point to any of our star players, the majority of whom do not have enough competition for their places in the current squad).

Last edited:

We've played our best football this season with him in the side behind Ade - he contributes a tremendous amount to our attacking play and creativity in the final third - no other player in the current squad can emmulate that. Capable of a match-winning intervention. He also consistently tops the distance covered stats and works extremely hard for the team, always looking for the ball, not a selifish qunt like a few others, etc.

Proven winner, great experience at all levels, loves the club, city, etc. Can't think of any other player attainable for his price who would not only match but improve his output and contribution.

I couldnt agree more. Captain material in my opinion.

I dont disagree with much of that, Im a huge fan of VDV and have been since long before we got him.

Doesnt detract from the point I made though, which is that Im not convinced the good things he brings out weight the contraints he brings.

There are times when I just wish for more options and variety in the midfield/attack and it all comes back to him holding it as it is.

Options, variety - cant be a bad thing at all.

I dont disagree with much of that, Im a huge fan of VDV and have been since long before we got him.

Doesnt detract from the point I made though, which is that Im not convinced the good things he brings out weight the contraints he brings.

There are times when I just wish for more options and variety in the midfield/attack and it all comes back to him holding it as it is.

Options, variety - cant be a bad thing at all.

Surely that's what subs/the squad are for? I don't disagree that in certain periods of certain matches he could be sacrificed to mix it up, but for the most part - his finishing, set pieces, work rate etc we need him....

Im sure you would, and frankly Im not in the mood for going through all this right now.

As Ive said, twice now, its a feeling I have - not a fully formed statement of fact.

I think there are negatives to having VDV, in the same way there are with any highly defined player types. You make concessions to include them.

You disagree, fine, couldnt be happier.

Modric is under a long contract now - that is the bottom line.
If he isnt happy come the summer, if should have had the foresight to not pick up the pen.

We sold Berba, who was an integral part of how we played, and it took a few years to back to finding our way rather than keeping him and developing it.

I say keep Modric unless the bid is huge enough to move the team forwards - the contribution to the team is all that matters

We sold Berba, who was an integral part of how we played, and it took a few years to back to finding our way rather than keeping him and developing it.

I say keep Modric unless the bid is huge enough to move the team forwards - the contribution to the team is all that matters

Wasn't that exactly what happened with Berbatov - i.e. your former sentence

I think the illusion of re-investing the fee into better players is a myth more often than not

If anyone thinks we will get Hazard, i'm Lionel Messi

This!
Everyone seems to be talking bout him like its possible he'll come to us... It aint. City and United are said to be frontrunners and if he really does want 200k it'll be City.

As for Modric. Heard on the radio they've had an offer on the table for him to make him the best paid player at the club... That offers been there since September and he's still not signed. That says to me that he's off.

the thing about Hazard and the only reason people are hanging onto the hope that what he said about wanting to play, mature as a player and play regularly are so true he will turn down the major clubs to play for a big one but one where he can still grow. Apparently he is good mates with Lukaku and look how many games he has got at chelsea.

But having seen interviews with him, i can see his head being turned by the money etc and there is absolutely no chance he will come to us. If the Manchester boys are interested then its over really.

in regard to modric, I think if we get champions league he will sign the contract. But until then its on the table.

Back