• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Re: modric

Golfball, are you one of those posters who uses stats to form an opinion?

Modric creates, he creates openings and opportunities which may then lead to a goal. Just because he doesn't get credited with assists does not mean that he hasn't had an important part in the goals scored. There wil always need to be a player who instigates an attacking move & that was often his role.

Add in his high ball retention qualities, few players seem capable of tackling him, and his vision as he repeatedly shows that he knows when to keep the ball and who to play the pass it to when it comes to the release of the ball and your comment doesn't appear to paint the full picture.

I would say that yes, he can struggle to unlock tight deep defences but there are many who fail to unlock those defences. One aspect that saw him fail, more than his skill level, at that was often our poor movement off the ball. He may have spotted an ideal opening but if our other players couldn't read the same situation to the same level as Modric then he would not have had anyone to play the pass to.

he'll be back at Man Utd or Chelsea before too long. Never understood why Mourinho and Real wanted him

The problem with Modric is he isn't overly special in the important areas of the pitch. He doesn't unlock a tight defence and he doesnt produce loads of assists or goals.

Obviously he is talented and can hold the ball n knock it around, but loads of Spanish players can do that. Real Madrid probably don't get him on the ball that much as they have so many other options. Not surprised either that he doesn't look good in a mourinho team. If he leaves it will be to Man Utd where he will impress again.

Spot on.

Golfball, are you one of those posters who uses stats to form an opinion?

Modric creates, he creates openings and opportunities which may then lead to a goal. Just because he doesn't get credited with assists does not mean that he hasn't had an important part in the goals scored. There wil always need to be a player who instigates an attacking move & that was often his role.

Add in his high ball retention qualities, few players seem capable of tackling him, and his vision as he repeatedly shows that he knows when to keep the ball and who to play the pass it to when it comes to the release of the ball and your comment doesn't appear to paint the full picture.

I would say that yes, he can struggle to unlock tight deep defences but there are many who fail to unlock those defences. One aspect that saw him fail, more than his skill level, at that was often our poor movement off the ball. He may have spotted an ideal opening but if our other players couldn't read the same situation to the same level as Modric then he would not have had anyone to play the pass to.

i know what he means - Modric is not "spectacular". Or to coin a more appropriate phrase - he is not a "galactico".
He would be far better suited to somewhere like Barca than Real.
Modric is brilliant at controlling tempo, making space for others with his positioning and passing. He can totally dominate that space 20 yards from either goal.
But in reality, how many times can you remember him having a huge impact "in behind" or in the penatly area? It won't be many, as that is not his game.
That doesnt work at Real - and especially not this season where they seem to have abandoned the concept of passing and controlling a game to a more direct game with power and pace.
Khedira is perfect for that. Modric is not.

Where he is next season depends on who Real appoint in the summer imho

why LOL? I completely agree with Golfball. He in't overly special in either box, doesn't offer enough protection to the back 4 and doesn't score or assist at the other end. Imo he is a weaker player than ,Alonso Ozil, Fabregas and scholes in his pomp. A good player imo but not the "genius" people go on about on here. That said I think his ideal destination would be Man Utd where Ferguson would make him raise his game and give him the hunger.

why LOL? I completely agree with Golfball. He in't overly special in either box, doesn't offer enough protection to the back 4 and doesn't score or assist at the other end. Imo he is a weaker player than ,Alonso Ozil, Fabregas and scholes in his pomp. A good player imo but not the "genius" people go on about on here. That said I think his ideal destination would be Man Utd where Ferguson would make him raise his game and give him the hunger.

He was just quoting Benoit, when asked if he thought he'd have to fight for his place

Wrong thread that's all

Back