• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modric - No Longer A Spurs Player

Re: modric

Wish as we might, he's not brick

He went to Madrid at a bad point, they are struggling this year, and a managerial change is probably imminent.

That said, he's probably on 2X wages, works less and still has a shot of winning the CL (even on a bad year).

But isn't this the issue?

He joined them as a major signing and wasn't able to help improve them. A £30m plus player can't join a team and be excused because he joined them at a bad time. He is supposed to be part of making them better.

We know he is a quality player in the right environment, but so far at Madrid he is failing the test of making his team-mates better.

I think any fan who expects more than 4 great seasons from a player of Modric's ability will be left repeatedly feeling bitter and disappointed. The days of the likes of Hoddle are gone sadly.

Southstand was trying to prove a point yesterday by starting a few Demba Ba threads because you mods didn't ban Greg for admitting he was "fishing".

He wasn't fishing at all. He posted his honest opinion.

The fishing post was his 'try and save my ass' post. Some swallowed it. I didn't.

Anyway, it's all in the transfer fred.

As I have said in numerous threads good player but hugely overrated by Spurs fans. Watched both Modric and Hoddle play and not even in same class. I could name at least 4 other playmakers I would have ahead of him. Didn't score enough, tackle enough and set pieces were diabolical yet he has acquired GHod like. status. I felt we would miss van Der vaart more - creative and weighed in with some decent goals. Shows the brilliance of Levy to extract so muchh money from Real. I think he played on their arrongance to show us that we could not stop them getting what they want.

As I have said in numerous threads good player but hugely overrated by Spurs fans. Watched both Modric and Hoddle play and not even in same class. I could name at least 4 other playmakers I would have ahead of him. Didn't score enough, tackle enough and set pieces were diabolical yet he has acquired GHod like. status. I felt we would miss van Der vaart more - creative and weighed in with some decent goals. Shows the brilliance of Levy to extract so muchh money from Real. I think he played on their arrongance to show us that we could not stop them getting what they want.

agree. modric was always replaceable for us - especially since we already have lennon and bale on the wings which were always the main threat. yes he kept the ball ticking over but his lack of assists and goals continued to annoy me much. i also thought in his final year with us he was showcasing his talents more than trying to release a the ball quickly. but both vdv and modric were great TOGETHER. once vdv went off, we often found ourselves on the back foot, even with modric around.

agree. modric was always replaceable for us - especially since we already have lennon and bale on the wings which were always the main threat. yes he kept the ball ticking over but his lack of assists and goals continued to annoy me much. i also thought in his final year with us he was showcasing his talents more than trying to release a the ball quickly. but both vdv and modric were great TOGETHER. once vdv went off, we often found ourselves on the back foot, even with modric around.

Have to say I disagree, his close control under pressure was amazing, fudging ball stuck to his feet, the number of interceptions (vs tackles) he made was crazy, add his ability to quickly move the ball to Bale/Lennon/VDV ... I don't think Modric was overrated at all.

Was he needed at Madrid? and does Madrid's problems have anything to do with player quality? imo, the answer to both those questions is no.

Like Berbatov at Manure, still a very good player, just not the player the team was built around anymore ...

Would love to see him back in a Spurs shirt.

where would you play him, he does not influence the game enough for me, we are better balanced and better off without him, I would never have said this last year, but on reflection he creates feck all and does not score goals, Dembele and Sandro all the way for me, onwards and upwards.

PS
Happy new year everyone.

where would you play him, he does not influence the game enough for me, we are better balanced and better off without him, I would never have said this last year, but on reflection he creates feck all and does not score goals, Dembele and Sandro all the way for me, onwards and upwards.

PS
Happy new year everyone.

He would walk into the central midfield for any PL side, including ours.

Non issue though, don't think there's any chance of him coming back to us should he get tired of Madrid or Madrid tire of him.

He would walk into the central midfield for any PL side, including ours.

Non issue though, don't think there's any chance of him coming back to us should he get tired of Madrid or Madrid tire of him.

Maybe but we look just as good without him, I love the way that Dembele carries the ball and commits the opposition, its all roses for me at the moment.

Maybe but we look just as good without him, I love the way that Dembele carries the ball and commits the opposition, its all roses for me at the moment.

Dembele has been great for us, I agree, and he deserves a lot of credit. Sandro being fit hasn't exactly hurt either. I think we would have been even better with Modric in there though.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but for me to hear the likes of Joey Barton saying Modric was the best player he played against in the PL and countless professionals including both Ferguson and Dembele rating him in the top five players counts for far more than the opinion of fans with relatively limited knowledge and experience.

don't think many deny that modric is good player. just that we've found a way to replace him quite comfortably and don't miss him that much.

Whoa there Could you be more patronizing. I have seen some truly great players at Spurs Hoddle, Ginola Klinsmann, Berbatov. Modric imo was just not in their class. When we were on poor runs I never felt he would be the match winner. On the other hand VdV could be. Agree with posters that we already look better with Dembele who I think has the capacity to be a great for us. Btw looks like Mourinho agrees.

Have to say I disagree, his close control under pressure was amazing, fudging ball stuck to his feet, the number of interceptions (vs tackles) he made was crazy, add his ability to quickly move the ball to Bale/Lennon/VDV ... I don't think Modric was overrated at all.

Was he needed at Madrid? and does Madrid's problems have anything to do with player quality? imo, the answer to both those questions is no.

Like Berbatov at Manure, still a very good player, just not the player the team was built around anymore ...

TBH I always thought Carrick was the master and felt we missed him more when he went. Also Carrick was able to dictate play to a much greater extent imo than Modric. Seriously how could we put him up there with the likes of Fabregas, Pirlo, Ozil (when he plays for Germany), Silva etc. Berbatov played well at Manure was a consistent goal scorer and still had touches of sheer brilliance. He just did not suit their style of play or fell out with Ferguson. Madrid fans tell me Modric looks positively mediocre at RM.

When you go to a club like Real Madrid, you really need to have something special in the fans eyes to justify large sums of money being spent. The fact that Modric to them looks like yet another technically gifted midfielder highlights the sheer wealth in midfield talent at the disposal of the Spanish league. Theyve seen it all before, nothing different. We appreciate him in the PL because naturally English players arent of that style. Hes not overrated, hes just stuck in a country where his type of player is common, so the money spent really isnt justified, especially when you consider Corzola went for a fraction of the price they paid, in the same league, and does a similar job that Madrid need.

I loved Luka, glad he got the break to experience the riches, he'll prove his worth to them soon you'd hope.

Whoa there Could you be more patronizing. I have seen some truly great players at Spurs Hoddle, Ginola Klinsmann, Berbatov. Modric imo was just not in their class. When we were on poor runs I never felt he would be the match winner. On the other hand VdV could be. Agree with posters that we already look better with Dembele who I think has the capacity to be a great for us. Btw looks like Mourinho agrees.
Modric was never a match-winner because he operated in an area of the pitch where he was looking to supply others rather than do it for himself. He was the one feeding balls to the likes of Berbatov, VDV, Bale etc to go through on goal and make an impact. Like it or not, that was a very important part of the way we played - and a fully fit Modric was fantastic at retaining possession, enabling the side to stay in control and composed, and finding the open man to move the ball up the field.

Can a centre-back be a match-winner? Perhaps not, but some do a lot of key things that don't go noticed towards the overall performance. Modric was a superior player to VDV for me.

Modric was never a match-winner because he operated in an area of the pitch where he was looking to supply others rather than do it for himself. He was the one feeding balls to the likes of Berbatov, VDV, Bale etc to go through on goal and make an impact. Like it or not, that was a very important part of the way we played - and a fully fit Modric was fantastic at retaining possession, enabling the side to stay in control and composed, and finding the open man to move the ball up the field.

Can a centre-back be a match-winner? Perhaps not, but some do a lot of key things that don't go noticed towards the overall performance. Modric was a superior player to VDV for me.

Opinions are opinions so I will just have to disagree. In his position in central midfield he should have been a match winner or at least dictate the tempo more. When we were struggling towards the end of last season he did not step up. Not only did he not score or create enough assists, he used to infuriate me when his corners failed to clear the first man time and time again. He was a useful player in that he could move the ball around quickly, but that is different from being a great player.

Why some people are making out we don't miss Modric is beyond me. Sandro Dembele is a good partnership but especially at home when we need that bit more guile and creativity we are clearly missing Modric who consistently provided that. Sandro and Dembele offer very different things and Modric would easily improve us....

Back