• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Modeling vs Subjective Opinion

It's always easy to understand something at a superficial level. Over the past 5 or so years the football world has started to discover just how small that superficial level is.

Football is not unique in that way. Since computers and large data sets have become commonplace, pretty much every single industry there is has or will reach that point. The reaction you're having is precisely the reaction many people in all of those industries had too - eventually those people either embraced the new methods or faded away.

My last post on the subject ( you can keep blabbing on if you want:p) i will say again anything that produces better results at anything is a good idea ( but it does not take reams of paper or stats to achieve it), it does not alter the fact that football is and always will be a simple game. If anyone finds that is not the case then they should get out ( or better still not get in) as they will never achieve anything.

A large part of Clough's success came from working with a nerd.

Good point - same with Fergie I suppose. I also think the both of them had something unquantifiable that made them get more from their players, beyond tactics. Football is an emotional game, especially in England.

Good point - same with Fergie I suppose. I also think the both of them had something unquantifiable that made them get more from their players, beyond tactics. Football is an emotional game, especially in England.
I think that even in this country the "Me kick ball" types are dying out.

Look at our players now against your average English footballer 20 or 30 years ago. They're relatively eloquent, they can clearly understand far more advanced tactics, they buy into the mental side of the contest. We have a way to go, but it's improving.

We've only scratched the surface of what big data can potentially do for scouting. However, on the flip-side, I feel like certain areas of human activity are less suited than others for the application of quantitative data to the decision-making process. With football, for example, @parklane1 has it partially right when he says that it is, at its heart, a simple game, and followed by hundreds of millions of people who might not particularly appreciate ultimately needing to take refresher courses in statistics (or perhaps a statistics degree, even) to begin to have an understanding of the recruitment process behind what is, at its heart, the endeavour of kicking a football around for ninety minutes while sets of fans cheer for one shirt or the other. In time, the relentless improvement in numerical literacy and collective understanding of the usefulness of quantitative data will mitigate this, but at present, there's definitely going to be a problem if clubs go all in on scouting using quantitative methods, since they themselves offer a 'product' to the fans that give them money - far from being just the fielding of eleven players on a grass pitch for ninety minutes, that 'product' includes getting fans to pore over every detail of their chosen club,*particularly* transfer details (and I expect that no one here will dare dispute that - admit it, you're all equally guilty of paying more attention to transfers than you should). And if the fans find it arcane and beyond understanding, then that bit of the experience fades away, and what then do you have to talk about with your fellow fans beyond the games themselves?

Secondly, there's also a case for the idea that qualitative scouting resurges in importance when the adoption of quantitative scouting methods by clubs across the relevant league diminishes the competitive advantage gained by using those scouting methods. Moneyball was an example of this - yes, the Oakland A's stunned the world with their unorthodox recruitment policy, for a time. But when the Red Sox and the other big boys adopted quantitative scouting methods, the As found themselves right back where they started - trying to compete against teams capable of spending far more on player recruitment than they could. In those instances, the intangible element to scouting a player, the things that the eye sees that big data cannot yet correlate...in those instances, that element returns to its elevated position in the art of scouting. Just my two cents. ;)

I believe yodelling to be wrong, and I don't think it has any place in modern football. Erik Lamela can keep his Idly-o-diddle-odle-lady-whos to himself.

Back