• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Missing football

Really enjoyed the Diego Maradona film.

Obviously the subject is a massively interesting character and the amount of film footage they had access to was phenomenal.

I must admit I got all nostalgic for 80's football, and let's be honest, what an amazing player he was.

Obviously the subject is a massively interesting character and the amount of film footage they had access to was phenomenal.

I must admit I got all nostalgic for 80's football, and let's be honest, what an amazing player he was.
Watching it right now

He really was.

He really was.
Seemed to me to be another that the more fame he got, the more pressure he got and he took the easiest routes outside of the sport Like the drugs and women.
He was a hell of a player and trained like a beast in his peak with the personal trainer

Lemme tell you. I'm missing my beloved Toronto FC in MLS. Have had four seasons tickets since their first season back in '07.

I'd just graduated university and used to shoot games for the Toronto Blizzard of the old NASL (NY Cosmos, Tampa Bay Rowdies, etc.) in the early '80s. On weekend matches, they'd kickoff around 1pm and we'd make lovely pictures on negative or slide film at 100 or 200 iso film.

But on weeknights - usually Wednesdays - only the games played in the lingering evening light in June and July were worthwhile. And only for a half. After halftime, the sun would be setting behind all the high-rise buildings in downtown Toronto. The lighting at old Varsity Stadium was pizss poor. Instead of available light, we'd call it available darkness. You'd have to crank your film speed to at least 3200 iso and at that point, the images would look so coarse and grainy that no one would prefer to use them over sharper looking images shot in weekend sunshine.

So, I'd put my gear in my bag, grab a beer and some popcorn and head up to the top row of the stands and hang out with a bunch of Jamaican and Caribbean fans and watch the game from up high as they loudly opined on the action below. It actually helped make me a better photographer as I'd have the entire field in view and could see how particular players were tending to dribble the ball up one side or pass down another.

When MLS came to Toronto, I happened to be passing the stadium one day as construction looked to be getting close to complete. I thought, 'I've gotta have a look and see if it's any good in there.'

So, I rolled my van right up and over the curb next to a security gate and grabbed a hardhat that I'd been toting about as did photo coverage on the construction of a new junior hockey arena in nearby Oshawa. With a camera clearly visible dangling from one shoulder and my hardhat in place, security guards came out and waved me in as I told them: "Hey, fellas. Just here for a few minutes to grab some update shots for the team website. That's my van there and I'll be back in five minutes if anyone complains." They let me just walk right in, assuring me that the van was safe.

I headed over to the west side with it's upper deck facing east toward the spectacular downtown skyline of Toronto. The minute I turned around at row fifteen and felt the same feeling I had sitting with the Caribbean crowd at the old stadium, I knew I was home. Bought four tickets and have never regretted it since.

Split them now with a gooner friend and his wife. He's a humbler human being these days but we get along great and the four of us have had some fun days and nights out to watch the games. Especially when Toronto won the MLS Cup. City went mental. Terrific atmosphere at Toronto games. Can't wait until it's back in action.

I mentioned it in the Coronovirus thread but apparently the Belarusian league is still ongoing if anyone fancies some 'competitive' football. Supposedly they dont care about the brick that's going on.

indeed, without a doubt he was one of the greatest players i have been lucky enough to have seen.

Agreed and agreed.

The film is wonderful. Seen it four times and bought the bluray.
It is a tremendous, and bizarre, story. For those of us who enjoyer Gomorrah, it is a real life chapter. Madness. Mayhem. Mob. Maradona. Mercurial. I'll stop alliterating the point, but if you have not, see this film. Kapadia nailed it big-time.

Agreed and agreed.

It is a tremendous, and bizarre, story. For those of us who enjoyer Gomorrah, it is a real life chapter. Madness. Mayhem. Mob. Maradona. Mercurial. I'll stop alliterating the point, but if you have not, see this film. Kapadia nailed it big-time.
I googled and it is available for free on 4OD or All4 as it is apparently called nowadays
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/diego-maradona/on-demand/65185-001

Agreed and agreed.

Gomorrah is class
None of my mates have trusted me to watch it

The fools.
It was superb! Right down to the terrible barnets!
That’s Naples
That really is
It’s an odd city TBF and not one is recommend to people
Weirdly in the last series when they were in London Genaro met up with Ricky Gervais (was on his Twitter) and I had visions of him doing some kind of cameo in it

Back