• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Miralem Pjanic

If we're going for a rebuild. Go for a rebuild. Don't bring in players over 30 on huge wages that we'll have trouble moving on as he declines.
The prem is not la liga or serie a. More physically demanding.
Agree in principle, but that principle shouldn't be without exceptions. We also need experience, winning mentality whatever.

We also need the right player types to succeed well enough in the short term to even make a medium or longer term rebuild work. Good enough deep playmakers for our needs aren't exactly easy to find or cheap. The right stop gap solution for a couple of years could make a rebuild easier rather than harder.

If he would settle quick enough in the PL and the wages + contract length he'd demand would be the key questions for me.

He was a real quality player not that long ago. If that's still in him and the wages are reasonable there's a great deal there to be done for someone.

Footballing wise, it’s kind of a no brainer to swap him for Sissoko or Winks.

But we’d need to make sure we can’t get stuck paying high wages for years if it doesn’t work out.

Quite.

31 isn’t old either.

nothing wrong with having a couple of older heads in the squad

Agree re age: that was my point.

I think he's always been decent as I said....I'm just not sure he's what we need at the moment. If signing him didnt prevent others coming in, then I guess its fine however he'll want big bucks which might be a problem given our cash position.

If he comes in and Sissoko leaves and you view that as one in / one out of two midfielders towards the end of their careers, and we can net a few £m from Sissoko then the squad is not materially worse from an age perspective or even more imbalanced towards NHG players and we raise a bit of cash...however we'll be paying Pjanic £100k or so more than Sissoko so that would eat up whatever fee we get

Doesn't have to be a long contract, 2 years or something like that - give us some experience in the middle and not just a journeyman either. Was very highly rated previously, not sure why he didn't get any game time at Barcelona.

Doesn't have to be a long contract, 2 years or something like that - give us some experience in the middle and not just a journeyman either. Was very highly rated previously, not sure why he didn't get any game time at Barcelona.

Per my post, I'm not questioning his ability....just wonder whether, given our limited cash available and other priorities, whether we'd be able to afford his wages. Perhaps we can, however for me our higher priorities are 2 * CBs, a RB, a back-up keeper, a RW and a back-up CF

I see that Pjanic is represented by the same folk as a couple others which we've been linked to: Milenkovic, Seferovic

not sure why he didn't get any game time at Barcelona.

messi-barcelona-1024x683.jpg

...just wonder whether, given our limited cash available and other priorities, whether we'd be able to afford his wages. Perhaps we can, however for me our higher priorities are 2 * CBs, a RB, a back-up keeper, a RW and a back-up CF

Suggestion is that Barcelona have (or are willing to) cancel his contract. He'll be available on a free and presumably had a pay off from Barca, so may be available on a lower salary than he currently gets.

I see that Pjanic is represented by the same folk as a couple others which we've been linked to: Milenkovic, Seferovic
The Italian Paratici said there was value in eastern Europe, in the video he did with Sczezny a couple of years ago... since then the press simply write stories linking us with every Croat/Bosnian/Etc playing in western Europe

Not against signing him. Just would prefer we found the next pjanic. That could be part of the team for the next 5 years or so.

We probably haven't got the money for that this summer. If we bring him in, I think that he'd be a stopgap for a season or two until our finances have recovered from Covid

Back