• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Milan Skriniar

One to revisit in late Jan or next summer, at which point he will only have two years left on his contract.

Nah. This feels like the Dybala deal - a great player who was barely within our range because the club wanted shot of him, but who we wouldn't get over the line.

My bet is, he'll play his way back into their starting lineup, become a rock for them again, and we will have no chance of getting him in January or next summer.

Ah, well. Would that it were a perfect window, but that's a step too far into dreaming for the likes of us.

What we have now is a somewhat top-heavy squad - massive talent up front, with a pretty sub-par defense that is mentally suspect, leaks goals and gives away penalties like candy at the other end. Defence wins titles, so it's amusing that Mourinho will have to make do with the exact opposite of his ideal setup here. :p

It's just speculation. The proposal from the FA suggested that foreign players should be in the top 30%of a clubs' earners but the PL have pushed back and said that a squad place should be sufficient. I think that it will end up following the money, but there will likely just be more red tape after a transfer has been agreed.

Nah. This feels like the Dybala deal - a great player who was barely within our range because the club wanted shot of him, but who we wouldn't get over the line.

My bet is, he'll play his way back into their starting lineup, become a rock for them again, and we will have no chance of getting him in January or next summer.

Ah, well. Would that it were a perfect window, but that's a step too far into dreaming for the likes of us.

What we have now is a somewhat top-heavy squad - massive talent up front, with a pretty sub-par defense that is mentally suspect, leaks goals and gives away penalties like candy at the other end. Defence wins titles, so it's amusing that Mourinho will have to make do with the exact opposite of his ideal setup here. :p
Amusing!?! ...this is a f.cking shi.t show all that bald clam Levy's fault!!

It's just speculation. The proposal from the FA suggested that foreign players should be in the top 30%of a clubs' earners but the PL have pushed back and said that a squad place should be sufficient. I think that it will end up following the money, but there will likely just be more red tape after a transfer has been agreed.
It’s all they can do
I’m still liking for the article that had more info on it
But it was all about red tape and admin
Should mean less dross coming in

It’s all they can do
I’m still liking for the article that had more info on it
But it was all about red tape and admin
Should mean less dross coming in

There isn't a final proposal yet. The PL normally gets his own way with the FA. The government doesn't care about really rich people coming here. I'd expect a lot of form filling but no real additional restrictions on bringing in European footballers.

I mean, if you insist....:p
Or a defence that would haven’t in 3 goals if it wasn’t for the rule change to var which I believe would have made it the second best in the division... and 2 points better off
And I’ll take too heavy rather than not enough like before

Or a defence that would haven’t in 3 goals if it wasn’t for the rule change to var which I believe would have made it the second best in the division... and 2 points better off
And I’ll take too heavy rather than not enough like before

It's less about that than about the nature of the goals we let in, and the chances we give opponents.

Mourinho's teams, at their best, were like a vice, conceding less than a goal a game and squeezing opponents into hopelessness. At the core of this were reliable defenders like Terry and Carvalho creating an impression in the opponents' minds that the game was already lost when they went 1-0 down, because they weren't scoring against that defense. Mourinho has repeatedly said as much.

Dier and Sanchez, or Dier and Toby, do not scare opponents - instead, they scare us. Sanchez blunders around failing to win headers, conceding penalties and causing hearts to stop every time he approaches someone in the box - he's very disappointing for a guy who looked so imperious when he initially arrived. Toby's past it. And Dier...bless him, he tries, but there's always something stupid in him, whether it's a sorry handball or getting done by Ings on the run.

What this does is give opponents hope that the game is never over - which, in turn, means they attack for the full 90, because there's always a chance our defence gives up a stupid chance. Which, in turn, means we have to keep running for the full 90, which limits how effective our game management can be, and leads to us wasting energy in games. Which adds up over a season.

We lack a real, top class CB to put fear in the opponents and marshall that backline. It's the one gap in the squad.

It's less about that than about the nature of the goals we let in, and the chances we give opponents.

Mourinho's teams, at their best, were like a vice, conceding less than a goal a game and squeezing opponents into hopelessness. At the core of this were reliable defenders like Terry and Carvalho creating an impression in the opponents' minds that the game was already lost when they went 1-0 down, because they weren't scoring against that defense. Mourinho has repeatedly said as much.

Dier and Sanchez, or Dier and Toby, do not scare opponents - instead, they scare us. Sanchez blunders around failing to win headers, conceding penalties and causing hearts to stop every time he approaches someone in the box - he's very disappointing for a guy who looked so imperious when he initially arrived. Toby's past it. And Dier...bless him, he tries, but there's always something stupid in him, whether it's a sorry handball or getting done by Ings on the run.

What this does is give opponents hope that the game is never over - which, in turn, means they attack for the full 90, because there's always a chance our defence gives up a stupid chance. Which, in turn, means we have to keep running for the full 90, which limits how effective our game management can be, and leads to us wasting energy in games. Which adds up over a season.

We lack a real, top class CB to put fear in the opponents and marshall that backline. It's the one gap in the squad.
But that’s not any different to any side currently
I mean the team with the best defensive record currently is..... Aston Villa

But that’s not any different to any side currently
I mean the team with the best defensive record currently is..... Aston Villa

True. But to win pots, you have to be better than just any side.

It's worse in the cups this season because of the single-leg format - one defensive mistake might sink you, whereas in other years, you could make up for it over two legs.

True. But to win pots, you have to be better than just any side.

It's worse in the cups this season because of the single-leg format - one defensive mistake might sink you, whereas in other years, you could make up for it over two legs.
But even the best make mistakes

Although there is nothing from the PL regarding EU players come Dec 31st they will not have the freedom of movement to play in the UK and will have to follow (unless something is agreed upon) the same rules as non-EU players.

Although there is nothing from the PL regarding EU players come Dec 31st they will not have the freedom of movement to play in the UK and will have to follow (unless something is agreed upon) the same rules as non-EU players.

That's correct but the criteria on non-EU players are not particularly difficult now, in most circumstances.

my view is that CB is one of those positions you need a strong pair with good understanding than outstanding individuals.
look at toby and verts - best pair but when we bought them didn't have to cost an arm and a leg.
also you can play CBs twice a week as it the least demanding outfield role and there are benefits of a stable partnership that learns as a unit week in week out.

That's correct but the criteria on non-EU players are not particularly difficult now, in most circumstances.

It may not be difficult for the top players to get a Visa to work here but looking at the lower levels it may be

Official FIFA Ranking Required % of international matches in past 2 yrs
FIFA 1-10 30% and above
FIFA 11-20 45% and above
FIFA 21-30 60% and above
FIFA 31-50 75% and above

So for players from the likes of Slovakia, Czech Rep, Hungary, Slovenia they'll all have to have played 75% of their countries internationals to get a VISA. That is a big change, although it will hit the lower divisions harder than the EPL.

It may not be difficult for the top players to get a Visa to work here but looking at the lower levels it may be

Official FIFA Ranking Required % of international matches in past 2 yrs
FIFA 1-10 30% and above
FIFA 11-20 45% and above
FIFA 21-30 60% and above
FIFA 31-50 75% and above

So for players from the likes of Slovakia, Czech Rep, Hungary, Slovenia they'll all have to have played 75% of their countries internationals to get a VISA. That is a big change, although it will hit the lower divisions harder than the EPL.

I could be wrong but I think that Vinicius qualified because of his CL appearances. That lowers the bar significantly.

We only lost out on Skriniar because of our inability to sell our fringe players. We could have gotten around 15 mil € for Foyth, 15 mil € for Rose, 20 mil € for Aurier, 10 mil € for Gazza. Enough money for Milan and then some.

Back