• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Michy Batshuayi

I'm wondering whether Marseille's financial plight and them requiring money right now also led us to give up on this deal and look elsewhere. £30 odd million up front is a lot to find for us at the moment with is needing to ensure the club carries minimal debt in order to help in financing our new stadium.

Not quite, his direct quotes was that the player has talent and that he was just one of many strikers that the recruitment team are following. So I'll say it again, you,me and everyone else has no idea who ey specifically have identified as top targets and you stating that it's levy penny pinching doesn't change that I'm afraid....

Spot on, however some seem to think that Levy never backs his manager and will never accept otherwise.

If he is behind or on a par with Lukaku, Benteke and Origi, I'm not that fussed. But I have only seen brief glimpses of the chap.

Seems to me like these players are all capable of the sublime, but more frequently do the ridiculous.

There is probably better value elsewhere, if our scouts are up to muster and their box is black enough.

Spot on, however some seem to think that Levy never backs his manager and will never accept otherwise.

He has just given Poch and his management team new 5 year contracts, to follow that up with penny pinching on signings would be ridiculous. Poch would have had assurances over money before he signed, we have to trust that he knows what he is doing and we will start the season with any and all new players being ones that the manager wants.

My thoughts are that Pochettino will know exactly what his overall budget is. Let's say he has a budget of £30 million and a wage cap of an additional £15 million a year compared to last season. Both of these amounts would have nothing to do with the CL windfall this year and instead be sensible and justified when considering only the hike in PL TV money. The CL windfall and associated increase in sponsorship etc could be put straight towards the ongoing costs of the stadium development.

I think that Pochettino will have complete control of this budget (i.e. who stays, who goes, who will be allowed a new contract and at what sort of value and most importantly who comes in and at what sort of wage level within the squad).

It is entirely possible that Pochettino didn't feel that using our entire transfer budget and a third of our additional wage allocation on a single player - especially one that was very unlikely to be a first 11 player. If that was the case then I would back Pochettino's judgement here. Remember that we have several players who need new (and one would assume increased) contracts.... Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Lamela, Lloris and perhaps another one for Alli and even Dier too. That will eat in to our wage budget. Adebayor going will obviously also help us here, but every £ really does count (especially considering the PL FFP rules and the limitations on wage bill increases they introduce)

Last edited:
He has just given Poch and his management team new 5 year contracts, to follow that up with penny pinching on signings would be ridiculous. Poch would have had assurances over money before he signed, we have to trust that he knows what he is doing and we will start the season with any and all new players being ones that the manager wants.

I do agree but that will not stop the ( obvious) one's who can not wait to get their Levy doll and pins out.

I do agree but that will not stop the ( obvious) one's who can not wait to get their Levy doll and pins out.

And in fairness to some, at times in the past Levy has made mistakes or decisions that have upset a large proportion of fans, but I dont think you could ever say he doesnt have the long term success of the club at heart.

I do think he has learned from previous errors though and thats all you can ever ask of anyone.

And in fairness to some, at times in the past Levy has made mistakes or decisions that have upset a large proportion of fans, but I dont think you could ever say he doesnt have the long term success of the club at heart.

I do think he has learned from previous errors though and thats all you can ever ask of anyone.

Again i agree, but everyone ( no matter what line they are in) makes mistakes and Levy is no different. However they are those who can not wait to jump on the Levy ( not backing the manager bandwagon) and its stinks of agendas ( imo).

Again i agree, but everyone ( no matter what line they are in) makes mistakes and Levy is no different. However they are those who can not wait to jump on the Levy ( not backing the manager bandwagon) and its stinks of agendas ( imo).

I disagree he is in a difficult job and will be scrutinised at his every turn. I bet city fans look at their chairman and say is it enough

Seems to me like these players are all capable of the sublime, but more frequently do the ridiculous.

There is probably better value elsewhere, if our scouts are up to muster and their box is black enough.

Tbh I don't see much difference between Berahino and Batshuayi. I'm sure Berahino could score 20 or so goals in Ligue 1, so if it's possible to get Berahino this summer for 10 million it's a no brainer.

Tbh I don't see much difference between Berahino and Batshuayi. I'm sure Berahino could score 20 or so goals in Ligue 1, so if it's possible to get Berahino this summer for 10 million it's a no brainer.

They have been asking for £20m i have just seen. Prices for strikers are going up and up this summer.

Th
They have been asking for £20m i have just seen. Prices for strikers are going up and up this summer.
They wanted £25 million last Summer, so not in this case! ;) (of course I am ignoring the fact he now only has 1 year remaining on his contract).

I wish my pennies were worth millions.

So do I (even thousands would suit me fine, really), but football clubs now operate in financial conditions where a million pounds' worth of extra expenditures, or even a few million pounds' worth, doesn't make much of a difference at all. The same goes for our club in what is ostensibly supposed to be a year of utilising our CL advantage to pursue players that normally wouldn't give Tottenham a second look (As we've done before with VDV, for example). I've said it before, but penny-pinching to end up with (sometimes) inferior players that would have come here anyway, CL or no, isn't setting a great example of backing the manager if it's expressly laid out that he was interested in players that we look to have ignored because we didn't want to pay for 'em.

Everyone in the buissness of football telling the world what is good for their cause (just listen to everything that have been thrown out of Mou´s mouth throghout the years), and the sames goes for Poch. But that doesn't mean he really meant it in the way he said it.

Ah, but there's the rub - we're told by everyone that the rags print rubbish that we shouldn't believe, and that's definitely true most of the time. But even when they print some half-credible stuff, we're told that it means little without direct quotes from the people involved. Now, when there are direct quotes from the people involved, it's still hard to believe because the people involved might have meant more (or less) than they let on.

We're all involved in basically speculating on what our club does, an unfortunate fact that will persist until greater transparency and fan ownership is ushered in across football, not just at Spurs. But if every source or utterance by someone involved isn't worth talking about, then there is nothing for us to do but spout platitudes and recriminations before and after games, no?

Poch namechecked Umtiti in the same interview. Have we let Poch down because Barca gazumped us too?

Perhaps. If I remember correctly, he said that it was 'clear' that a striker was our priority this summer, and that Batshuayi was very interesting in that regard, with high potential or something and good references from a number of people. He later went on to say (iirc) that the scouting department keeps tabs on talented players in Ligue Un, and name-checked Umtiti in that context as another talented player we were keeping tabs on.

The former seems more clearly substantiated than the latter, so there's a difference in intensity, I suspect; but in answer to your question, perhaps. Later in the window, if we sign a CB of similar talent and profile to Umtiti, or if Poch comes out and expressly lays out why he either didn't want Umtiti or we don't need a CB, then the doubt goes away as far as I'm concerned. If not...well, wouldn't be the first time. We only hear about manager-board disagreements after the manager leaves, unless they're exceptionally chatty (like Harry was). So confirmation, one way or another, may have to wait. But reasonable suspicion can still be a potent basis to argue from.

Or he was trying to force AZ Alkmaars hand?

This stuff was *way* before we were linked to Janssen, though. He came out with this interview in late April (iirc), and the Janssen stuff only really started when Poch was spotted attending the Ireland-Netherlands game a month later.

Poch has an MBa in Finance. He's not naïve - he knows the score exactly.

Not quite - his MBA was in Sports Business, which I am sure would have included a big element of the finance perspective of football. Not quite the same thing as having an MBA in Finance however (unless he has that as well, in which case the man is even more impressive than I had thought).
I am not disagreeing with your point in any way, he clearly knows how things work and the impact transfer spend can have on the wider business of a football club, but you would hope any manager not having the initials HR could grasp the basic rudiments of the effect of spending beyond your means.

Think you need to go back to posting on social media.
I don't do social media just passionate about my team l, but I've got lots of respect for what levy has done for the club and don't want him out by any means just seems at key moments he just freezes a bit, the Jansen transfer is an example if it's true were out by 1.7 million trying to haggle can backfire, wanyama was a banker but he went out and laid the money so no complaints there either but good strikers cost money and when other clubs like Chelsea or Man U get a sniff if there any good they steal in that was what I was meaning not a hater at all

Back