• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mediocre player appreciation

I thought Shimbomba was a decent player, not a view shared by many.

I thought he was great for a while, started very well after his move, had an absolute blinder against Wigan very early on iirc, might even have been his debut.

I was sat in the PL right by the fence with the away fans loudly questioning why such an awesome player had been allowed to move for such a small fee.

Was it Sinton who didn't throw the ball back to Arsenal after they kicked it out for an injured player? (We equalised from that).

For that alone, I'll always have time for him.

My main memory of Saib is sitting infront of these two blokes who were like c0ckney versions of Tony Soprano, smoking cigars, and shouting "SAIIIBBBBB!" whenever he touched the ball. I think it was a pre-season friendly.

I liked Alan Nielsen. Also liked Clive Wilson, because he wasn't Justin Edinburgh.

frantic_league_jose-dominguez.jpg
That shirt looks big enough for the both of them!

Because of my age I can only give fair opinions on players from the new millennium onwards and most that I think off come from the Jol era which was one of my favourite. There was something satisfying about having a squad built out of players who weren't all that great but were much better than what we'd had in previous years. It's debatably my favourite period as a Spurs fan!

One who springs to mind is Jamie O'Hara. Wasn't the greatest but seemed to have some ability and worked incredibly hard for the team. Reminds me a lot of Ryan Mason in some ways as both were centre mids who had come through our academy, both supported the club, both got their debuts quite late on. Both displayed a tendency to work hard. But in the end we are now asking for Mason as we did for O'Hara whether he has the ability to justify keeping?

I remember watching the cup final between Pompey and Chelsea and thinking they would've won the game with O'Hara fully fit. He was nursing a back injury and it showed. In the sort of situations he'd usually charge back to have the team you could see him halfheartedly jogging back in pain.

Another one is Mido. He actually seemed like a very good player in the lasagne season and I was very happy when we signed him, ironically I was delighted about the singing of Mido and not overly bothered about Berbatov... I remember him saying at the start of 06/07 when we got him permanently that he was going to be back better than ever as he'd lost two stone over the summer but it actually seemed to be a very bad decision as it affected the main part of his game...

I did enjoy seeing him mocking Arsenal after they'd lost 6-0 to Chelsea though! And his response when someone suggested he'd turned fat after retiring...

midoinsta.jpg

mido-220x119.png

And lastly my favourite of the bunch is Teemu Tanio. Always seemed like a big spurs guy and was well liked by the fans as a result. Him pointing out the scoreline to everyone and using it to waste time was absolutely brilliant.

Tim Sherwood
Jamie Redknapp
Anthony Gardner
Simon Davies
Reto Ziegler
Radek Cerny
Didier Zakora (sniggers)
Steed Malbranque
Darren Bent
David Bentley

We've had some fabulously lovable average players i.e Malbranque and others not so lovable i.e Dimwood, Redknapp..
I feel like I could just go on writing! Thankfully that stops around the time of King, Bale, Modric, VdV..

Now we have the likes of Kane, Alderweireld and Lloris and long may it continue.

Hard to believe Ziegler went to Juve at some point in his career.

I have just looked up the team when Korsten got two versus Man United....when I look at it now I realise that Hoddle did ok with what he had, and then you look at today's team and you realise how much we have moved on and just how much of a genius Levy is

Sullivan, Carr, Gardner, Doherty, Young, Leonhardsen, Clemence, Etherington, Davies, Ferdinand, Korsten. Subs: Walker, Freund, Perry, Thelwell, Piercy.

David Howells and Vinny Samways
Mediocre but essential at the time

Remember standing in the Paxton when it was the stand with terracing.
Samways was having a stinker and always been a spacegoat.
Started getting booed by a load of ours, during the game. Way our of order.
Fair play to Vinny, I've never seen a bloke show and call for the ball as much as he did.
Went way up I'm my estimation just for pure guts and determination.

Back