• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Max Meyer

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Surprised we didn't already have a thread on him.

Tottenham are expected to sign Schalke’s highly-rated star Max Meyer, according to reports.

The 21-year-old has just a year left on his current deal and, having shown no indication he is willing to extend his contract, Schalke have reportedly told interested clubs they want £17million (€19.2m) for his services.

The likes of Spurs, Liverpool and Hoffenheim are all reported to be keen, but reports in Germany indicate it is Mauricio Pochettino who will win the race for the attacking midfielder.

Meyer has scored 20 goals in 163 appearances for his club, but is thought to be keen on playing in the Champions League again, with Schalke enduring a disappointing campaign and only finishing 10th in the Bundesliga last season.

Meyer has been capped four times by Germany and represented his country at this summer’s European Under-21 Championships in Poland, which his nation won, beating Spain 1-0 in the final.

News of Pochettino’s interest has also been picked up by the Daily Mirror, though they quote bookmakers’ odds in citing the player as Tottenham-bound.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/spurs-to-beat-liverpool-to-17m-signing-of-schalke-star

He was Holtby's understudy at Schalke, so what that same move did for Lewis' career might not favour us.

I'm not a huge fan, but he'd at least be better than Barkley

He was Holtby's understudy at Schalke, so what that same move did for Lewis' career might not favour us.

I'm not a huge fan, but he'd at least be better than Barkley

Don't know about being better than Barkley, but he will be cheaper wage and transfer fee wise

I hate to say it, but I think this is one of those that will remain a rumour and nothing is going to happen. Plus, I wasn't get impressed from the little I saw of him in the U21 tournament.

Looked bang average at the U21 tournament.

I cannot claim to know alot about him but whatever I have seen of him he looks rank average and YouTube does him no favours at all. Another concern of mine is that Raphael Honigstein who is an expert on German football is not impressed with him at all. I heard him on the BBC over a month ago when we were linked to him and Honigstein made him sound like a player simply not good enough for a team like Spurs.

I also find it telling that this season his club do not seem bothered about him leaving, did not even bother to offer him a new deal.

I hope Levy and Poch stay clear.

Last edited:
@Gutter Boy Are you aware that in 27 league appearances last season Max Meyer scored just one league goal and made just one assist all season?

Last edited:
This one seems a bit iffy for me. As most posters have pointed out, he hasn't had a great year and probably isn't as good as he seems to be from a distant standpoint - Schalke don't seem bothered about him going, and that's a warning sign.

Plus, I don't know if he's pacy enough to constitute that rapid option we need to vary up our AM band a bit - at present only Son really offers us genuine pace behind Kane, and we could do with another option in there (Sissoko's pacy, but not as agile as Son - N'Koudou is pacy *and* agile, but Poch hasn't warmed to him for whatever reason). I would suggest going for Leon Goretzka instead (same situation as Meyer, with only a year left on his contract, but has had the better season by far, is more highly rated and is both a physical unit and versatile enough to play across the midfield), but I think some news from a month or two back had him pegged as going to Bayern on a free transfer when his contract expires next July.

This one seems a bit iffy for me. As most posters have pointed out, he hasn't had a great year and probably isn't as good as he seems to be from a distant standpoint - Schalke don't seem bothered about him going, and that's a warning sign.

Plus, I don't know if he's pacy enough to constitute that rapid option we need to vary up our AM band a bit - at present only Son really offers us genuine pace behind Kane, and we could do with another option in there (Sissoko's pacy, but not as agile as Son - N'Koudou is pacy *and* agile, but Poch hasn't warmed to him for whatever reason). I would suggest going for Leon Goretzka instead (same situation as Meyer, with only a year left on his contract, but has had the better season by far, is more highly rated and is both a physical unit and versatile enough to play across the midfield), but I think some news from a month or two back had him pegged as going to Bayern on a free transfer when his contract expires next July.
Unfortunately he's Bayern bound.

I'm with the majority in this thread. Does not look good enough.

I haven't seen him play however £17m doesn't really buy you much nowadays. For a player with that price tag, there has to be something questionable about him - perhaps never played in a major league, or coming off a poor season, or just a raw talent with less than a season in a major league, or just had a long injury etc. If he'd had a top season in the Bundesliga last year or was a star of the U-21s, he'd be £30m - £40m, rather than £17m. Unfortunately the days of, say, getting Wanyama for £12m are in the past

I haven't seen him play however £17m doesn't really buy you much nowadays. For a player with that price tag, there has to be something questionable about him - perhaps never played in a major league, or coming off a poor season, or just a raw talent with less than a season in a major league, or just had a long injury etc. If he'd had a top season in the Bundesliga last year or was a star of the U-21s, he'd be £30m - £40m, rather than £17m. Unfortunately the days of, say, getting Wanyama for £12m are in the past

17 mill is the price because he is into the last year of his contract.

I was thinking, even though I wasn't impressed from what I saw, what if he ends up being another Timo Werner? What appeared to be an average player in an average team a couple of years ago to a budding star two years later. If anyone can improve him, Poch surely can. Then again, he might be another Holtby.

I was thinking, even though I wasn't impressed from what I saw, what if he ends up being another Timo Werner? What appeared to be an average player in an average team a couple of years ago to a budding star two years later. If anyone can improve him, Poch surely can. Then again, he might be another Holtby.

Correct.....We seem to be still at the stage where we can only afford to take punts on players like this. As you say he maybe a Holtby or Werner but that is the calculated chance we have to take. If he doesn't work out he will just return to Germany for a sum not too far off we potentially pay for him.

Back